Hotel Room, Industrial Symphony No.1, On the Air DVD

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

xas

Hotel Room, Industrial Symphony No.1, On the Air DVD

Post by xas »

Anyone bought dvd on sale at revok.com???

do you recommend???
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Post by moviemaker »

I have. For me it was great! I don't know about others. Can be a bit of a wait but definitely worth it if you don't want to pay eBay prices.
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

I bought Eraserhead on VHS from them years ago. Was happy with it. I would like to get On the Air, but the price is a bit steep for their 2-disc DVDs, imo. (And I'm afraid I won't like it.)
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Post by moviemaker »

twin-b wrote: On the Air, but the price is a bit steep for their 2-disc DVDs, imo. (And I'm afraid I won't like it.)
You're right. "On The Air" is barely watchable and I can watch anything. It was just campy. I mean I like campy but it was just kinda normal (i.e boring) and I guess what I was missing was the mystery elements that I've come to love from David Lynch. I mean I really love Rabbits--more than Dumbland. Don't know why he never released this series--Rabbits that is... Oh yeah probably because of the Inland Empire connection, but I digress...
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Re: Hotel Room, Industrial Symphony No.1, On the Air DVD

Post by cubist »

xas wrote:Anyone bought dvd on sale at revok.com???

do you recommend???
I'll echo the others and say that revok are fine. I bought hotel room & On The Air from them and they play and look fine. On The Air is pretty painful though. Hotel Room by contrast is excellent (the two lynch episodes at least). The final piece featuring Crispin Glover is a lost Lynch classic - real shame it is so hard to find.
biotron
Roadhouse Member

Post by biotron »

agreed - Blackout is an absolute must-see, particularly reminiscent of core elements that would later appear in Lost Highway and Inland Empire, as this superb analysis points out :

(SPOILER ALERT)

http://www.road-dog-productions.com/cgi ... hs_ho.html

i got my copy from an Amazon marketplace seller who was kind enough to include a DVD transfer in the package.

incidentally, has anyone here seen Crispin Glover's "What is It?"? it seems to be exceedingly difficult to catch, harder even than Matthew Barney's Cremaster Cycle...
Erwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Erwin »

Last edited by Erwin on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

"On The Air" in my opinion is one of the best things Lynch has ever done. Sure it redefines "silly" but i'd say it's one of the most interesting effective and funny sit-coms ever produced. Especially the final Lynch directed episode about a beatnik/bootmaker is essential viewing for any Lynch fan.

"Hotel Room" is kind of hit or miss. The first installment "Tricks" feel more like an experiment than a fully developed story, the second "Getting rid of Robert" wasn't written by Gifford or directed by Lynch and is standard early 90's HBO fare. "Blackout" is brilliant though. In a way i have to say I'm glad that this didn't go for several seasons, its a fun idea but i think it was probably better suited for a stage production than a tv show.
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Re: ...

Post by cubist »

eyeboogers wrote:"On The Air" in my opinion is one of the best things Lynch has ever done. Sure it redefines "silly" but i'd say it's one of the most interesting effective and funny sit-coms ever produced. Especially the final Lynch directed episode about a beatnik/bootmaker is essential viewing for any Lynch fan.

"Hotel Room" is kind of hit or miss. The first installment "Tricks" feel more like an experiment than a fully developed story, the second "Getting rid of Robert" wasn't written by Gifford or directed by Lynch and is standard early 90's HBO fare. "Blackout" is brilliant though. In a way i have to say I'm glad that this didn't go for several seasons, its a fun idea but i think it was probably better suited for a stage production than a tv show.
Mmmm I'll check On The Air out again then. To be honest i never got past episode 3 so perhaps i haven't been fair to it.
I agree with you about Tricks - to me it looks like the first emergence of the ideas that came to fruition in Lost Highway.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: ...

Post by Jerry Horne »

eyeboogers wrote:"On The Air" in my opinion is one of the best things Lynch has ever done. Sure it redefines "silly" but i'd say it's one of the most interesting effective and funny sit-coms ever produced. Especially the final Lynch directed episode about a beatnik/bootmaker is essential viewing for any Lynch fan.
AMEN! I can watch this over and over. One of my favorite Lynch projects. The amount of detail and gags going on in the background still amazes me.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

biotron wrote:incidentally, has anyone here seen Crispin Glover's "What is It?"? it seems to be exceedingly difficult to catch, harder even than Matthew Barney's Cremaster Cycle...
I saw it here in Rochester, NY. Crispin was even present, and did a 45 minute performance art piece before the movie. To me, the performance art piece was MUCH better than the actual film.