Journey Through Twin Peaks: the complete presentation

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Journey Through Twin Peaks: the complete presentation

Post by LostInTheMovies »

The blog Sleeping on the Roof wrote a very nice piece on my series: https://sleepyroof.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... win-peaks/. And another blogger, M.K. Solomon also wrote it up a few months ago: http://mksolomon.com/archive/2015/02/jo ... win-peaks/. Just wanted to return the favor by sharing their sites here!
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

Nice... I've shared both on the Facebook, thereby promoting all parties...
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

"Floating" was the PERFECT choice for the opening sequence.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Thanks for sharing them!

Yeah, I read a list once of "Favorite songs from Twin Peaks" and that was on there! I was like "Floating is in Twin Peaks?" No, but it should be...
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

So I finally got around to checking this out nice editing and video production, but gotta be honest, didn't learn one thing about Twin Peaks I didn't already know.

Obviously a lot of time and effort went into this.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

Found a flowchart that suggests, "Do not respond."
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

Yeah.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Kmkmiller wrote:So I finally got around to checking this out nice editing and video production, but gotta be honest, didn't learn one thing about Twin Peaks I didn't already know.

Obviously a lot of time and effort went into this.
Fair enough, but I'd say it's more of a point-of-view critique than a historical expose, so I'm not sure "learning" would be the right paradigm to judge it by...except inasmuch as you're "learning" a subjective (if informed) opinion vs. some new, unrevealed objective facts. That said, I definitely tried to put some viewpoints forward that I had not seen shared elsewhere - particularly the Hindu/Upanishad parallels with Laura's spiritual struggle (inspired by Martha Nochimson, but unfortunately she only focuses on Lynch's post-FWWM films in her book so I was sort of left to my own devices) and the idea of Ronette as a key to Laura's spiritual triumph (most interpretations seem to hold that the significance of that scene is Laura choosing to die - the only time I'd seen it suggested, cryptically, that Laura summoned the angel was in Christy Desmet's essay, which approaches it from a very different angle and seems to be under the impression that Sheryl Lee was actually playing both angels!).

The videos also offered an opportunity to consolidate information that seemed somewhat scattered in my research - for example, the mythology stuff, which I gleaned from several different articles, but which hadn't really been put together yet in any really organized way (there are many few lists of influence but not so much really explaining the significance of the various Theosophical components to the overall narrative).

Not to sound too defensive, hopefully - and I appreciate the aesthetic compliments! - but I do hope it offers some fresh perspectives as well. Admittedly, this is much more the case with the sections on late season 2 and particularly Fire Walk With Me than the sections on season 1, for a variety of reasons.
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

Sorry.

On the upside the good news is my less than positive feedback means your work is perfect!
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Kmkmiller wrote:Sorry.

On the upside the good news is my less than positive feedback means your work is perfect!
I offered a polite counterpoint to the polite criticism. Not sure why it needs to get rude now.

EDIT: Also, I don't think the work is perfect at all. I have plenty of criticisms of it, especially the earlier chapters. Certain moments even make me cringe. I just didn't agree with your particular point. I'm glad you liked the parts you did and we might as well leave it at that. Don't worry, I will not be adding you to the ignore list. Not yet anyway. ;)
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

Lol. It really wasn't said with rude intent. Look at it like I mouthed off about pineapple on pizza in a roomful of people who love pineapple on pizza.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Kmkmiller wrote:Lol. It really wasn't said with rude intent. Look at it like I mouthed off about pineapple on pizza in a roomful of people who love pineapple on pizza.
Despite the positive feedback there were a couple comments equivalent to taking a pineapple and hurling it at my face to prove how much they didn't love pineapple pizza (the most-over-the-top was accidentally deleted - I swear! - but it was a doozy, involving me sabotaging Ray Wise's performance via editing and wearing diapers when I was 7, sort of). So believe me, I do not take offense at some gentle pineapple-critiquing!

Though I do enjoy pineapple on anything - and I don't mean that as an analogy.
fearltd
Roadhouse Member

Post by fearltd »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
Kmkmiller wrote:Lol. It really wasn't said with rude intent. Look at it like I mouthed off about pineapple on pizza in a roomful of people who love pineapple on pizza.
Despite the positive feedback there were a couple comments equivalent to taking a pineapple and hurling it at my face to prove how much they didn't love pineapple pizza (the most-over-the-top was accidentally deleted - I swear! - but it was a doozy, involving me sabotaging Ray Wise's performance via editing and wearing diapers when I was 7, sort of). So believe me, I do not take offense at some gentle pineapple-critiquing!

So...uh...did you wear diapers when you were 7?
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

Curious ....

What is it YOU find cringe worthy .. :-)

Production value?

Too expositiony/preachy?

Not expositiony enough?

Embarrassing theory?

Or I guess the less confrontational way to put it is what do you think your biggest challenges are when making something like that?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

fearltd wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:

So...uh...did you wear diapers when you were 7?
Yes, but only while sabotaging Ray Wise's performance via editing.