TWIN PEAKS "remix" project?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

silenttwn
Roadhouse Member

TWIN PEAKS "remix" project?

Post by silenttwn »

Hey everyone. I know there are very many people in the Twin Peaks/David Lynch community who are creative themselves. Some of them do music like myself. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a collaborative TWIN PEAKS "remix" project with me, essentially an album-length collection of Twin Peaks covers. It's only in the idea stage at this point, but I myself think it could be something really really cool. Let me know if you guys have any ideas and/or would like to contribute! I'll keep track of those interested in helping and maybe a ways down the line we can begin to actually discuss the details.

The project, of course, would be non-profit and by fans for fans, so we'd present it on a web site in MP3 format for download. But for people who are on the fence, if we can get the community pumped and into this project this can give you or your band exposure as well as being a unique experience.
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

i'm in.
edenweaver
Roadhouse Member

Post by edenweaver »

Last year for David's birthday I made him a (two disc) compilation of music from Myspace artists who's music had been directly inspired by him... it turned out more elaborately than I had originally intended. Eventually we were going to try to make a cd that the proceeds of would be donated to David's foundation but the whole project kind of petered out....

There are/were a couple of the Twin Peaks songs on this blog although none of them were covers .... more interpretations. However I don't think the people have them on their profiles any more. Were were going to make a Myspace page just dedicated to this project.

David Lynch inspired cd

there is also a group that was originally dedicated to this project ...and you may find more stuff there that would be of interest to you.
http://groups.myspace.com/inspiredbylynch
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

i will join in, only if i can do james hurley's "just you and i"
silenttwn
Roadhouse Member

Post by silenttwn »

edenweaver wrote:Last year for David's birthday I made him a (two disc) compilation of music from Myspace artists who's music had been directly inspired by him... it turned out more elaborately than I had originally intended. Eventually we were going to try to make a cd that the proceeds of would be donated to David's foundation but the whole project kind of petered out....

There are/were a couple of the Twin Peaks songs on this blog although none of them were covers .... more interpretations. However I don't think the people have them on their profiles any more. Were were going to make a Myspace page just dedicated to this project.

David Lynch inspired cd

there is also a group that was originally dedicated to this project ...and you may find more stuff there that would be of interest to you.
http://groups.myspace.com/inspiredbylynch
Sorry to hear the project somewhat petered out. There was a lot of talent on that project from what I've heard already. I will definitely check out that myspace group and get a hold of some of them to see if they're interested. Are you interested in contributing to this project? I couldn't tell from your post, but lemme know!
silenttwn
Roadhouse Member

Post by silenttwn »

Brad D wrote:i will join in, only if i can do james hurley's "just you and i"
We will see! I'd just say "yes," but like I said I want to discuss the details later. But most likely, sure!
edenweaver
Roadhouse Member

Post by edenweaver »

silenttwn wrote: Sorry to hear the project somewhat petered out. There was a lot of talent on that project from what I've heard already. I will definitely check out that myspace group and get a hold of some of them to see if they're interested. Are you interested in contributing to this project? I couldn't tell from your post, but lemme know!
No worries... other projects have come of it. I myself am not a musician, but I could point you in the direction of some people who may be interested and give you other ideas... I'm in the thick of a couple big projects right now and don't have a lot of time, but PM some time if you want.
silenttwn
Roadhouse Member

Post by silenttwn »

I have a question for those interested: would you be more interested in covers or remixes of Twin Peaks music, music inspired by Twin Peaks, or a mixture of both? I am thinking a mixture of both might be best.
DreadDub

Post by DreadDub »

I think a mixture of both would be cool...
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

a mixture of both sounds best.
Well Dressed Man

Post by Well Dressed Man »

I'd definitely be interested. . . in re-mixing OR covering a song, or just a general "tribute to Twin Peaks" in song form. There's so many things you could do.
silenttwn
Roadhouse Member

Post by silenttwn »

I've been thinking of ideas for themes. Like, what if everyone involved produced songs that were made with the intention of sounding diegetic, by that meaning as if they were performed and recorded in the world of Twin Peaks? In any case, I was thinking everything should have a Twin Peaks sound, you know? Lots of synthesizer, jazzy numbers, etc. Anyone else have ideas?
Well Dressed Man

Post by Well Dressed Man »

Well, another idea that could work along with your newest idea, is to do an imaginary soundtrack for "Twin Peaks: Season 3". Songs that may have hints and passages of original Peaks music, but also at the same time completely new.

An ambient project called "Stars of the Lid" did a song called "Music For Twin Peaks Episode #30". As you know the show only has 29 episodes, so this was their way of keeping it going in some way. This plus your last post made me think of the idea for a fake season 3 soundtrack as imagined by fans.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I would be up for doing a cover song of some sort. It's been a while since I've done anything musically.

Here is a link to the music project I did several years back.

http://www.myspace.com/148384135
silenttwn
Roadhouse Member

Post by silenttwn »

Well Dressed Man wrote:Well, another idea that could work along with your newest idea, is to do an imaginary soundtrack for "Twin Peaks: Season 3". Songs that may have hints and passages of original Peaks music, but also at the same time completely new.

An ambient project called "Stars of the Lid" did a song called "Music For Twin Peaks Episode #30". As you know the show only has 29 episodes, so this was their way of keeping it going in some way. This plus your last post made me think of the idea for a fake season 3 soundtrack as imagined by fans.
I like that idea a lot. The album could be like an episode from the third season or from an epilogue. I sort of just envisioned doing a version of "Dance of the Dream Man," which is more or less Coop's theme... but it being all distorted, and eerie sounding now that Dale Cooper has been taken over by BOB.