Farewell, Catherine Coulson

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mark B

Re: Farewell, Catherine Coulson

Post by Mark B »

So sad to hear this. You know when you see all the questions on threads, facebook, twitter, etc. asking 'who do you dream of seeing in series 3?', I never put the Log Lady on my list. Why? Because it was a given. She's so part of Twin Peaks that it was unthinkable that she wouldn't be there for it. I think as much as Laura Palmer, she was Twin Peaks.
I didn't have the benefit of seeing Coulson in much beyond TP & never had the benefit of meeting her but she seemed like a very nice person from what I've heard and was massively supportive of TP fans. The world will a sadder place for not having her poignant and funny presence in series 3.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
frompureair
Roadhouse Member

Post by frompureair »

Can't believe it... what horrible timing. Was just reinacting the bear claw scene at work today with a buddy of mine...
TwinPeaksFanatic
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinPeaksFanatic »

A true Twin Peaks legend...so sad
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Catherine Coulson's last filmed words as the Log Lady:

"It has been a pleasure speaking to you."

The pleasure was all ours.

Goddammit.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

:( Oh man, I just got home and saw this. I am utterly shocked. Such a nice and interesting person so suddenly gone from the world, and from the artistic world of David Lynch. Nobody embodied the mystery and spirit of the woods like Margaret Lanterman, and that character came so much from Catherine Coulson herself.

A stunningly awful tragedy, but she made her mark with a legendary character and she will be remembered and beloved for ages.

FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

A nice write-up: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/28/ca ... -lady-dies

Indeed, it won't be the same...
garrett8250

Post by garrett8250 »

I'll have a bear claw...
Attachments
o-LOGLADY-900.jpg
o-LOGLADY-900.jpg (190.46 KiB) Viewed 13046 times
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

Such devastating news. I immediately hoped they'd shot something in secret as two friends might in this situation. I doubt it though. The log lady will be missed. Catherine will be missed.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

My thoughts go out to her family and friends, not to mention other cast members, fest atendees whose lives she obviously touched, and of course DL himself who has lost someone who he has been close to for decades. I unfortunately missed out on the chance to meet her, but from what I've heard from friends both online and off, she was an incredible woman. I had The World Spins on earlier but had to cut it short as I was getting rather teary and was driving at the time!

Perhaps in the show, she can be reunited with her husband in the log, still fighting the good fight and being channeled by another gifted character. If they haven't filmed her parts already as others have mentioned, obviously.

RIP. :(
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Post by Coffee »

Horrible news.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Log_Lady_Coop_Truman_combo.jpg
Log_Lady_Coop_Truman_combo.jpg (260.61 KiB) Viewed 12971 times
euro
Roadhouse Member

Post by euro »

R.I.P. Log Lady. We'll miss you !
Through the darkness of futures past
The magician longs to see
One chants out between two worlds
Fire walk with me
HoodedMatt
Roadhouse Member

Post by HoodedMatt »

I may only be a Peaks fan of 19 months standing but I'm still incredibly saddened by the news. R.I.P.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

"There is a sadness in this world, for we are ignorant of many things. Yes, we are ignorant of many beautiful things - things like the truth. So sadness, in our ignorance, is very real. The tears are real. What is this thing called a tear? There are even tiny ducts - tear ducts - to produce these tears should the sadness occur. Then the day when the sadness comes - then we ask: "Will this sadness which makes me cry - will this sadness that makes my heart cry out - will it ever end?" The answer, of course, is yes. One day the sadness will end."

From the couple of times I was lucky enough to meet her, Catherine always seemed like a lovely person and a real class act, and this is a huge loss for the world of Twin Peaks. Like Frank Silva, she may not have had the most screen time of any character, but the Log Lady was a vital part of the real spirit and essence of Twin Peaks. Her loss will almost certainly be felt in her absence from the new season.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
bluefrank
Roadhouse Member

Post by bluefrank »

I was only watching Q2's fan-edit of FWWM yesterday...3 1/2 hours of pure joy and I always loved her 'tender bows of innocence' speech to Laura, outside the Bang Bang. The next day, I read this news. I met her at the first UK Festival and she was such a lovely warm person. One of the old school and all the way back to the Eraserhead days...a big loss, RIP and thanks for all the great moments and memories.