Season One Commentaries?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Shazbot

Season One Commentaries?

Post by Shazbot »

Does anyone have them saved somewhere? I used to have the DVD set, and remembered enjoying them, but they haven't been included elsewhere. I'd like to hear them again.

Thanks!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Season One Commentaries?

Post by N. Needleman »

I think I have the old Season 1 boxset in my dad's basement back home. I was just thinking of those the other day - I'd love to hear them.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
StealThisCorn
RR Diner Member
Location: Laying on Laura's lap in the Red Room / Gorging on garmonbozia with Bob Above the Convenience Store

Post by StealThisCorn »

I was never able to listen to those and I know that Lynch purposefully didn't include a transfer of them over to the blu-ray because he "doesn't like commentaries". But I've been sort of curious if there was any interesting significant information dropped by the participants in those commentaries?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

I thought so, yeah though I can't remember exactly what! I do know Harley Peyton mentions Lynch disliking Invitation to Love & feeling it was too on-the-nose, which I don't think comes up anywhere else (in Brad's book one of the ItL actors says Lynch may not have liked the video quality I think). Frank Byers was very interesting too, really giving a sense of how the series was shot. I probably need to listen to them again at this point. I actually bought a used Artisan set on Amazon a month before the Entire Mystery because I wanted to hear those commentaries!
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Shazbot wrote:Does anyone have them saved somewhere? I used to have the DVD set, and remembered enjoying them, but they haven't been included elsewhere. I'd like to hear them again.

Thanks!
Are you referring to this set?

-Mordeen
Attachments
WIN_20151014_173659.JPG
WIN_20151014_173659.JPG (123.13 KiB) Viewed 11876 times
Moving Through Time. . .
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Speaking of which, I'm watching them right now (can't watch my blu-rays for the moment, so on this rewatch I'm using the CBS s2 & Artisan sets - and will be renting the Gold Box edition of the pilot). I recall people saying that these transfers looked really good and that the episodes actually look better than on the s2 set because with only 2 per disc they are less compressed.

Whew - I have to disagree. The titles are quite fuzzy to begin with, and the image is too light, missing that dark, rich "Twin Peaks" atmosphere. Plus, not an image note, but the opening title feels like the snare (or whatever it is - I'm not a musician) is mixed too high.

Regarding the s2 DVDs, what exactly was the deal with those? Since CBS was the one behind the Gold Box (which was only to be released a few months later), why did they feel the need to capitalize on the market for a standalone s2 set as well? I guess they did not use the color correction that Lynch chose for the GB (otherwise these would be REALLY redundant) but to my eye, the images look much closer to what we're used to now than the Artisan set does. I haven't done any sort of side-by-side comparison between them and it doesn't seem like DVDBeaver did either unfortunately. Be curious to see what how 3 SD versions of the series compare.

Sorry to go somewhat off-topic.
Shazbot

Post by Shazbot »

Mordeen wrote:
Shazbot wrote:Does anyone have them saved somewhere? I used to have the DVD set, and remembered enjoying them, but they haven't been included elsewhere. I'd like to hear them again.

Thanks!
Are you referring to this set?

-Mordeen
That's the one!
fearltd
Roadhouse Member

Post by fearltd »

I ripped them as mp3's years ago. I zipped them up and uploaded them for those who want to hear them. A mod can edit the link out if they feel it is inappropriate to share.

https://mega.nz/#!6UcT3D4L!ri5AAhtv6hTK ... oNPBnJFS6I
StealThisCorn
RR Diner Member
Location: Laying on Laura's lap in the Red Room / Gorging on garmonbozia with Bob Above the Convenience Store

Post by StealThisCorn »

fearltd wrote:I ripped them as mp3's years ago. I zipped them up and uploaded them for those who want to hear them.
No way, thank you so much! Way to go.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

I did love that the first set was in DTS. It's such a completely immersive experience compared to Dolby Digital.
We live inside a dream.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

mtsi wrote:I did love that the first set was in DTS. It's such a completely immersive experience compared to Dolby Digital.
Dumb question from a non-audiophile - how does that work with headphones? I've been rewatching the Artisans on a computer, and playing with different audio options and can't seem to figure out which one is gonna be more satisfying for a whole episode.
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

StealThisCorn wrote:I was never able to listen to those and I know that Lynch purposefully didn't include a transfer of them over to the blu-ray because he "doesn't like commentaries". But I've been sort of curious if there was any interesting significant information dropped by the participants in those commentaries?
It's been quite long since I listened to them but I remember them being quite great. Especially Lesli Linkas commentary was among the better ones but they were all good. It's definitely one of those moments when you as a TP fan should choose to not give a fuck about what Lynch thinks.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

I will also add that listening to the commentaries as audio wouldn't seem to violate Lynch's no commentary rule so I don't really know why they couldn't have been audio-only features on the blu-ray.
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

LostInTheMovies wrote:I will also add that listening to the commentaries as audio wouldn't seem to violate Lynch's no commentary rule so I don't really know why they couldn't have been audio-only features on the blu-ray.
I guess the commentators too frequently refers to the scene at hand as simply 'this scene', so it would feel kind of silly with only the audio.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

DirkG wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:I will also add that listening to the commentaries as audio wouldn't seem to violate Lynch's no commentary rule so I don't really know why they couldn't have been audio-only features on the blu-ray.
I guess the commentators too frequently refers to the scene at hand as simply 'this scene', so it would feel kind of silly with only the audio.
Not at all. I have actually NEVER watched them as commentary, I've only listened to them as audio and they worked fine for me.

Plus were talking about a bonus feature that can simply be a curio and doesn't have to reach an exacting standard. It can just be a curio. Not every feature on there received the TLC of the Missing Pieces.