Who will edit Twin Peaks?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Who will edit Twin Peaks?

Post by LostInTheMovies »

If I'm not mistaken, David Lynch has edited every single one of his projects post-Mulholland Drive. I am wondering who he will bring on for Twin Peaks or if he plans on tackling it himself which will be extremely ambitious and exhausting, especially given the episodic format he'll need to impose on the material even within Showtime's apparently pretty lax restrictions.

He most likely won't be working with Blue Velvet/Wild at Heart alum Duwayne Dunham, who moved on to a busy directorial career and hasn't cut anything since...well, since Twin Peaks 25 years ago. [EDIT: For some reason I totally misread IMDb - Dunham edited 2 films since 2011). Considering not just that he is out of practice, but the vast sea change in editing technology since 1990, I don't think he will be stepping back into that role for an 18-hour Showtime series.

And I think it is pretty safe to say Lynch won't be working with Mary Sweeney, his ex-editor, ex-producer, and ex-wife.

Lynch cut Eraserhead himself, and the editors of The Elephant Man and Dune are both 90 years old.

So for people he's worked with, that leaves only the editors of Twin Peaks (aside from Dunham, who edited the pilot & season 2, and Sweeney, who edited ep. 14).

Consulting IMDb...

Jonathan P. Shaw cut two of Lynch's episodes - ep. 2 & 9 and was also an assistant editor on Blue Velvet. He is still working today, mostly in TV and/or documentary it seems.

Paul Trejo did not cut any of Lynch's episodes. He has been working a lot in television, including Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (though not, from the looks of it, the season with Kyle MacLachlan).

Toni Morgan cut the finale but she unfortunately passed away last year.

I am guessing he will work with someone new, and I wonder who that will be. Would love to hear Brad's thoughts on this.

Also - and Brad might be able to help with this too - what was Frost's role in the editing room during the original production? It seems like the directors supervised most of the post-production on their episodes (pretty rare for TV then). Did he sit in on a lot of the pilot cutting alonside Lynch and Dunham? How involved will he be with the process this time, I wonder?
Last edited by LostInTheMovies on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Who will edit Twin Peaks?

Post by Jonah »

I have a feeling he's going to do it himself, hence why Showtime may have imposed a deadline on him for 2017 (a point which is still conjecture at the moment, granted). I have a feeling Mark Frost may sit on it, and another hunch that Nevins might try to get Lynch to work with a Showtime editor or someone he recommends. I had so hoped he would reunite with Mary Sweeney who brought out some of the best in his work in her edits, IMO, though I agree that is unlikely. Looking forward to seeing what others have to say when they chime in.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Jonah wrote:I have a feeling he's going to do it himself, hence why Showtime may have imposed a deadline on him for 2017 (a point which is still conjecture at the moment, granted). I have a feeling Mark Frost may sit on it, and another hunch that Nevins might try to get Lynch to work with a Showtime editor or someone he recommends. I had so hoped he would reunite with Mary Sweeney who brought out some of the best in his work in her edits, IMO, though I agree that is unlikely. Looking forward to seeing what others have to say when they chime in.
Lynch & Sweeney did some incredible work together. There are sequences in Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive that just give me goosebumps, things of sheer fucking beauty (the "Song to the Siren" desert sex montage in Lost Highway...oh God). It just seems like personal circumstances would prevent any future artistic collaboration unfortunately. But boy would I love to be wrong about that.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

Agreed re: Sweeney. That'd be my dream collaboration for this series. I think Inland Empire and The Missing Pieces are pretty well put together, but nothing compares to the sequence in Mulholland Drive right after Diane wakes up. She hasn't even cut anything since 2009!
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

There's no way the editing will be left all to Lynch. He wouldn't wish for that either. It will be collaborative.

Do you think the editing process will be shorter than the whole filming? I would expect so, on the whole. But then the editing may be done in installments, like they're dealing with two separate seasons.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

I was initially skeptical but looks like Dunham is likely to cut the new series (he has edited 2 films in the past 5 years after all so it seems he has a hand back in).
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

I'm ok with this. I'd sure as hell love to see Mary Sweeney on Twin Peaks again, though.