Terrence Malick's Knight of Cups, featuring Don Davis

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
tausendsassa
Roadhouse Member

Post by tausendsassa »

Last week I saw Terrence Malick's Knight of Cups... it can be an interesting film, especially if you are interested in seeing nice condos and houses on the U.S. West Coast ;-)

And if you are fan of Twin Peaks... somewhere in the stream of consciousness that is Knight of Cups, you can hear Don Davis a.k.a. Major Briggs telling Bobby about his dream in the Double R Diner. It's only a part of the Major's speech, sort of fading in and out of the sound mix with lots of echo/reverb on it. Wasn't mentioned in the credits of the film, though.

I don't know too much about Malick and his work. The speech does fit the film's atmosphere... but does anyone know about a specific connection between Malick and Don Davis, or Twin Peaks, or David Lynch?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Terrence Malick's Knight of Cups, featuring Don Davis

Post by LostInTheMovies »

tausendsassa wrote:Last week I saw Terrence Malick's Knight of Cups... it can be an interesting film, especially if you are interested in seeing nice condos and houses on the U.S. West Coast ;-)

And if you are fan of Twin Peaks... somewhere in the stream of consciousness that is Knight of Cups, you can hear Don Davis a.k.a. Major Briggs telling Bobby about his dream in the Double R Diner. It's only a part of the Major's speech, sort of fading in and out of the sound mix with lots of echo/reverb on it. Wasn't mentioned in the credits of the film, though.

I don't know too much about Malick and his work. The speech does fit the film's atmosphere... but does anyone know about a specific connection between Malick and Don Davis, or Twin Peaks, or David Lynch?
No, wow, that's really interesting. That speech is perfect for Malick. I don't think I've ever heard Lynch or Malick comment on each other's work. I have like a faint feeling that maybe I heard Lynch say something, but definitely not Malick.
kafard
RR Diner Member

Post by kafard »

there are NO similarities (or only few ..) between the films of Lynch and Malick, at least for me, but actually Lynch and Terrence Malick know some same persons... (Jack Fisk for example, and one of the sons of Lynch has directed the making of for "The New World".)

Lynch said that "The Tree Of Life" was not his cup of tea. (Sometimes Lynch talks too much :) )
Malick : nothing has been said. (Wise man)

Tausendsassa are you from Belgium?
A french little guy named : Dam.
tausendsassa
Roadhouse Member

Post by tausendsassa »

Jack Fisk also had a credit in Knight of Cups, if I remember correctly.

@kafard: I am from Germany.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

tausendsassa wrote:Last week I saw Terrence Malick's Knight of Cups... it can be an interesting film, especially if you are interested in seeing nice condos and houses on the U.S. West Coast ;-)

Is this legit?

Can't wait for Knight of Cups - think we've got to wait till January here in the UK though.

Yeah, DL said he didn't like Tree of Life. Wasn't Malick involved in trying to get Eraserhead shown at festivals back in the day? I'm sure it's mentioned in one of the books. Lynch speaks well about him, though.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Yes, just read about that in Dennis Lim's new Man From Another Place monograph. Apparently he got him a meeting to discuss Ronnie Rocket which involved screening Eraserhead for an executive. The exec stormed out in disgust early in the screening.
tausendsassa
Roadhouse Member

Post by tausendsassa »

Metamorphia wrote: Is this legit?

Can't wait for Knight of Cups - think we've got to wait till January here in the UK though.
I'd be curious to know if this really is Don Davis' speech to Bobby, so please let us know once you got a chance to see the film what your impression was. I think it occurred somewhere in the middle of the film ;-)
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

tausendsassa wrote:
Metamorphia wrote: Is this legit?

I'd be curious to know if this really is Don Davis' speech to Bobby, so please let us know once you got a chance to see the film what your impression was. I think it occurred somewhere in the middle of the film ;-)
I also saw this on Twitter so it's probably right
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

So, the answer is apparently yes and no.

I saw the movie yesterday and was kind of amazed when I realized it was Major Briggs speaking. And it is. I thought, "How cool that Malick is making a direct allusion to Lynch." But it's not actually a clip from the show, per se, it's from this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-mJPxUt8RE

which samples Briggs' speech from the show. The song is played at various points throughout Knight of Cups , and the part that samples Briggs is played somewhere in the middle of the film, as someone pointed out (it's hard to say exactly when anything occurs in a film like this). I believe it was during the Las Vegas sequence?

So, whether or not Malick is a Lynch/Twin Peaks fan is still a question (And I'm quite sure we'll never hear him talk about it). It's possible he is just a fan of the song and appreciated Briggs' description of his vision (Who wouldn't?), but I will say Malick has a reputation for being a cinephile, much more so than Lynch himself, for example. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if he was familiar with or a fan of Lynch. Just not sure we can say definitively based on this.
tausendsassa
Roadhouse Member

Post by tausendsassa »

ForKeeps wrote:So, the answer is apparently yes and no.

I saw the movie yesterday and was kind of amazed when I realized it was Major Briggs speaking. And it is. I thought, "How cool that Malick is making a direct allusion to Lynch." But it's not actually a clip from the show, per se, it's from this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-mJPxUt8RE

which samples Briggs' speech from the show.
Thanks for clearing this up and for sort of half-confirming ;-)

Jack Fisk worked as Production Designer on Knight of Cups, which is a strong link to David Lynch. Now I don't mean to suggest that Jack Fisk told Terrence Malick, "Hey you know, my friend David once made this cool TV show, and there's this great speech which I think would be a nice addition to your film." More like, you know, common acquaintances, a common taste in certain things, Malick maybe being a TP fanatic lurking around on this forum, who knows.
kafard
RR Diner Member

Post by kafard »

In fact, David Lynch and Terrence Malick have a lot of connections, not really inside their works... but with the people they know and some projects... for example : Terrence Malick was one of the directors who was chosen for direct "Elephant Man".
I don't know, like I wrote it before, if they appreciate the works of the other (may be Malick more, "may be" because I don't think that we will know one day, or only with a bad new..... I think, I could be completely wrong, that Malick is a more open-minded man, really more...).
And, I must say that if you know a little bit more about the life of Terrence Malick, you will know that his movies are on a certain ways related with his own life, in some ways...
A french little guy named : Dam.