Sense8

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Sense8

Post by FauxOwl »

Is anyone watching this Netflix series created and largely directed by the Wachowskis? I watched the first couple of episodes. There's not much similarity to Twin Peaks stylistically other than dealing with esoteric subject matter, but there are a couple of interesting connections:

It is produced by longtime Lynch collaborator Deepak Nayar. The other thing is that the title sequence prominently features a neon sign which reads "Twin Peaks". I know there's that Hooters like restaurant chain, but it seems conspicuous to have those words featured son prominently, especially given Nayar's involement. It'll be interesting to see if the series has more connections as it goes on. It's pretty convoluted but fun so far.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Re: Sense8

Post by qbin2001 »

Watching right now and only 2 episodes left :(

It's a very sloooow story, not for everybody, but I love it. I really, really, really love it!

I feel little tired of all those faster and faster shows (and i watch over 20 shows). Slow story is exactly what I needed, and it's very refreshing. I love all the characters, cinematography, everything.

10/10
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

I rather enjoyed the show as well (though I couldn't pick up any other connection to Twin Peaks other than the ones already mentioned). Ultimately the show connected with me on the most important level a long form serialized television show needs to connect with an audience... I was emotionally invested in the characters. That made it easy for me to overlook some decidedly hokey moments. I'm surprised the reviews were so mixed... I didn't find the story incoherent at all which seems to be the biggest criticism leveled at it. Some supporters of the show have argued that the diversity is one of the reasons it got a mixed reaction... I don't know about that but I'm sure the sexuality and transgender issues were uncomfortable for a lot of people. I'll admit the diversity is a big part of the appeal for me and I'm rooting for the show to succeed for that reason (I also really appreciate the ambition of having a show set and shot on location in so many different countries). It doesn't look good though... usually Netflix announces a renewed season pretty quickly after they release a show and this has been dragging on without any news for a bit. Personally I liked the show a lot more than House of Cards or Orange is the New Black (though I admit I haven't sampled the latter enough to really make a call).
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

I absolutely fell in love with Sense8! The strongest point for me too was great characters and emotional connection. That's not so common nowadays. But also the concept itself was very clever as a TV show format. There was everything, action, drama, comedy, scifi, mystery and even occasional horror. Also they had the mixture of light and dark and that was what reminded me most of Twin Peaks. The setting and everything was totally different but in Sense8 too "everything was possible" and there were lots of uplifting and downright silly moments that worked amazingly well, just like in TP :) Occasionally it got very emotional and tears were shed. Also all the gay etc. stuff felt really nice, natural and not harsh or forced. Beautiful show, I really really hope they get another season.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

I've received far too many recommendations from people to not check this out; and of course it's getting high praise on here.

I think I'll have to break the seal on this at the weekend!
kafard
RR Diner Member

Post by kafard »

I found the first season very very average. It looks like the x-men with a new-age philosophy undeveloped.
A french little guy named : Dam.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

The "new-age philosohpy" is there just for the story, more or less. The main philosophy behind the show seems to be solidarity, self-worth, freedom and stuff like that. It is clear that if you don't care for these characters, then the show can't work for you, because that's what it's all about in the end, characters and the stories.

The scifi aspect isn't strong in technical scifi sense, but as a storytelling device it's amazing. Something new and refreshing. And they are no superheroes, they're just human.

This is the first american tv show I've ever seen where it actually feels global and the stories around the world seems more realistic. The roots of Capheus's story for example sounds pretty similar to the stories my nigerian friend has told to me.

I understand people may not care for the show, but average? really? If there's more like this, I'd really like to know :)

And they're quoting Conan the Barbarian! What's not to love? :)
kafard
RR Diner Member

Sense8

Post by kafard »

gavriloP wrote:The "new-age philosohpy" is there just for the story, more or less. The main philosophy behind the show seems to be solidarity, self-worth, freedom and stuff like that. It is clear that if you don't care for these characters, then the show can't work for you, because that's what it's all about in the end, characters and the stories.

The scifi aspect isn't strong in technical scifi sense, but as a storytelling device it's amazing. Something new and refreshing. And they are no superheroes, they're just human.

This is the first american tv show I've ever seen where it actually feels global and the stories around the world seems more realistic. The roots of Capheus's story for example sounds pretty similar to the stories my nigerian friend has told to me.

I understand people may not care for the show, but average? really? If there's more like this, I'd really like to know :)

And they're quoting Conan the Barbarian! What's not to love? :)
Yes the series is about things that the two directors had certainly read somewhere (legends, new-age thoughts etc. nothing new, "déjà vu"...) ... They make mixtures.
There are too many "clichés" in this series (even the characters) and.. the end happens in Iceland, and of course they put Sigur Rós ... It doesn't displease me to hear the music of Sigur Rós but ... "Cliché" again and again…

And for me, yes the characters have "super-powers" in many way, like the x-men…

(Their latest film is not terrible either ...)

P.S : I preferred to talk with your Nigerian friend instead of rewatch this series :-)
it must be more interesting...
A french little guy named : Dam.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I admit I can't really get with the show. I've tried twice now.

Most bizarre is the remark on Wikipedia saying 'The show aims to explore subjects that its writers feel science fiction shows tend to ignore or skim through such as politics, identity, sexuality, gender and religion.'

I mean . . . really? Pretty much all science fiction deals up front with these subjects!

Like all Wachowski-produced sci-fi, it all seems a touch hippie-dippy 'new age' and the deeper philosophy seems as if they've found a book with lots of long words in and copied and pasted them into their scripts.

Clearly it's a very expensive show with fabulous production values, but I can't relate to a single character or storyline on either a naturalistic level or a romantic one.

It's weird, because the Wachowskis have made one big hit film and failure after failure at the box office (and I speak as a fan of Cloud Atlas) yet people still throw vast amounts of money at them.

Still, at least Marco Polo season two is being made – I know it's taken Marco Polo's writings and blended them with the feel of James Clavell's Shogun, but I really like it.

Still, I hope everyone who has got along with Sense8 continues to enjoy it!