swansong

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

owlsseemrealtome

swansong

Post by owlsseemrealtome »

I just wondered if any of you guys think that with this new series that Lynch is going out with a bang and that he will retire from filming after it?
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Re: swansong

Post by Mordeen »

Yes.

I've been using the term "dropping the mic." Filming a 9+ hour movie and forever changing television (again) is a good way to go out.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

Post by Chester Desmond »

I don't think so.

I think Lynch just creates, that's his thing, I guarantee while filming this new Twin Peaks, he's already come up with a lot of other and new ideas. He's "catching fish" for other project right now I bet.

Also, lets no forget, these (18?) episodes may not be the end, there may be another "season" after this one, it has not been ruled out.

Stars renewed "Ash vs. Evil Dead" for a second season before the first one even aired.
Hang loose, Houlies
the haystack
Roadhouse Member

Post by the haystack »

Chester Desmond wrote:I don't think so.

I think Lynch just creates, that's his thing, I guarantee while filming this new Twin Peaks, he's already come up with a lot of other and new ideas. He's "catching fish" for other project right now I bet.

Also, lets no forget, these (18?) episodes may not be the end, there may be another "season" after this one, it has not been ruled out.

Stars renewed "Ash vs. Evil Dead" for a second season before the first one even aired.
I pretty much agree with this. Unlike celebrities who wallow in the spotlight, Lynch has never been one to release press statements in a grandstand way, i.e. "For my next feature..." or "announcing my retirement following this season" etc. I think, like his later films, his work will ebb and flow without precedent. I can't really imagine him compartmentalizing his life. I do not see a rocking chair period.

True, he may discontinue all cinematic work, but we won't know it until he does it; he may not even know it until then. Or, he may start making more lamps or meat sculptures.
Log Lady lives
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

Post by Chester Desmond »

Yep, I think lynch will create until he's in the grave.
Hang loose, Houlies
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

i think it's as simple as he'll continue to create stuff if ideas continue to come to him. if he gets new ideas, he'll execute them. if he doesn't then twin peaks is a solid ending for his body of work
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

owlsseemrealtome wrote:I just wondered if any of you guys think that with this new series that Lynch is going out with a bang and that he will retire from filming after it?
This is a very odd and funny thing to enquire here when you consider that Lynch has not done any film-making since INLAND EMPIRE, which was released in the US in 2006.

So, more than anything, this is a very welcome return to making a 'film' (as such) for Lynch.

I would imagine that Lynch himself is planning a feature film after the Peaks series - the success of the show would most likely result in some deal falling into place. He has mentioned film plans over the last decade or so, but the difficulty of funding them.
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

I know it won't happen, but I so wish that somehow he was able to make Axxon n, even if IE may have covered a lot if that ground. But no, Lynch will never stop creating in one form or another. I believe he's gone on record, after IE, as saying funding is the main issue. I suspect post new TP, this will be less of an issue and, should he want to, he could make a new feature.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

My gut tells me yes but I hope my gut is wrong. It has been before. I'm still kicking myself for missing Straight Story, Mulholland Drive, and Inland Empire in theaters when they came out and would love the opportunity to finally see a Lynch for the first time on the big screen.
Last edited by LostInTheMovies on Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cinemartin

Post by cinemartin »

I'm still hoping for Ronnie Rocket myself.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

cinemartin wrote:I'm still hoping for Ronnie Rocket myself.
Yeah, me too. I'm hoping he'll do this, then Ronnie Rocket and then retire.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

This swansong business has been irritating me for a while now. It's a bit dramatic, sorta corny, and really doesn't seem to jibe with the Lynch M.O.

I don't know why anyone would hope he'd retire or expect he'd retire. Since Lynch is an artist as a way of life, he's obviously not going to stop making art, and I'm sure that if some idea for a feature film (or something) occurs to him, he'll do it. Why would he block off the potential of an idea he hasn't even had yet?

This TP project could end up being a swansong, but if it turns out that way, it probably won't be by design. If it just happens that the right inspiration doesn't come along for another piece of television or film, then he'll busy himself with other things. You'll be able to call it a directorial swansong if you outlive him and he doesn't make another film or show.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

I definitely don't see Lynch announcing, "That's it, folks, gonna hang up m hat now and refuse to ever make a TV show or feature again." But I think the reason this intuitively feels like a swansong to many is that many of us thought Lynch HAD effectively retired. Ten years is by far the longest break in his filmmaking and he even seemed to stop producing the numerous digital shirts that occupied him for much of the 2000s. In fact I remember an interview he gave circa 2010 or so, in which he said he didn't have many "film ideas" any more and this was widely interpreted as his de facto retirement (Glenn Kenny had a post to that effect, which was how I first heard the "news"). He talked about funding issues in the summer of 2014, and maybe earlier (a bit of a red herring on his part, since we now know he was working out the deal of a lifetime) but for the most part the emphasis was on where his muse was leading him and in the decade after Inland Empire it seemed to be leading him toward TM, coffee, music, and dedicidedly NOT feature filmmaking (let alone TV show running - who could've dreamed!). The last time Lynch had entered into a conventional film production was 1998, when he shot The Straight Story. I for one was under the impression he might very well live out the rest of his days as a one of the elder statesmen of the cinema, sharing amusing tweets, running his foundation, and delivering numerous small gems in the form of music videos, paintings, and other creative projects but that the days of grand masterpieces were over.

Clearly I was wrong about that! But the immense gap between the new Twin Peaks and anything of even remotely (and not that remotely) comparable scale/impact still makes it feel more like an epilogue (albeit a climactic one if that makes sense) than a continuation.

Added to that the nature of this return - to the work of his that arguably made the biggest splash and left him with the most heartache and it's hard for me to see it as a new beginning rather than a grand summation. And there's also a curious symmetry to Lynch's body of feature film work with Eraserhead and Inland Empire as extreme bookends both complementary and radically divergent. I certainly couldn't see Lynch consciously factoring that into a decision about making another feature film but his actions are shaped by factors large and small, practical and intuitive, and maybe the big fish hasn't been caught since IE because that film closed a certain book in his library? I don't know, none of us do - probably not even him - but I do find the long pause, and the nature of the resumption, telling.

Just to clear the air: I am just trying to figure out why my gut leads me to see this as his swansong NOT make some sort of airtight rational case for this being his farewell to filmmakng! And for the purely selfish reasons listed above, I wouldn't want it to be! But it is a distinct inclination that others seem to experience as well either for those reasons or their own.
Last edited by LostInTheMovies on Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

I kind of believe this may well be the last filmed work we will see too, but I also think the gaps are in large part to because of funding issues, which is why I could see new filmed work possibly happening post new TP. SS was the last fully funded project, compared to MD which ended up being split between the network and the studio for completion. IE was split between using DL.com work & and, if memory serves me correctly, had multiple European investors. If the rumours are true, DL & MF have set up a production company to fund the new TP series themselves. As such it maybe that, should the new series bring DL back into prominence, there could be offers available. But it would also depend on his ideas and, unfortunately, commercial viability. Because there's so many factors at play it feels like it'd be unlikely those stars will align. It'll be interesting to see how we all feel about it once the new series has been released.
I can only speak for myself here, but part of me is thinking of it as a swansong is due to me projecting what I think the new series will be vs. what it will actually be to Lynch. It's hard for me not to see a new TV series of TP combining elements of FWWM, including a LH actor, the rumours of Laura Dern (which would tie in pre and post TP work), alongside the continued evolution of his later work of MD & IE, which I'm sure we will see elements of, with the small town Americana that informed BV, TP & SS and not feel like this maybe some grand summation of it all. Coupled in with the fact he's doing a biography/autobiography, it all has a feeling of reviewing his career. But again, that's my projection, rather than the actuality of it.
Qubism
Roadhouse Member
Location: Another Place - Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by Qubism »

Maybe someone here can remember, did Lynch once say he would love to do Franz Kafka's Metamophosis? I'm sure I read it in an interview somewhere but then again I may have dreamed it.... because I would love to see that. Kafka & Lynch seem like 2 peas in a pod to me from the surrealism aspect. There are some kinda connections too, Kyle did a great job as Josef K in The Trial which also featured Anthony Hopkins too. Hell I'd like to see Lynch do Kafka's The Castle with Kyle again in the Josef K role (this time only referred to as K). It seems like Josef K/ K is Kafka as Agent Coop is more than a little bit of Lynch himself.

Back to the question, anyone remember Lynch talk about Metamorphosis?

Cheers,

K