A Twin Peaks Continuation - For or Against

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Post by coolspringsj »

My question is not whether you are for or against a continuation (I am for yet not wrapping it up in a tidy bow), the question is will this season 2 soundtrack and DVD next week be the last Twin Peaks products to come out? What percentage chance do we have of future TP products (books, comics, etc.)? I am all for it because it won't tarnish anything that has come before and the already satisfied fans can choose to ignore it. I will watch TP forever, but merchandise-wise, is this the last hurrah?
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

Audrey Horne wrote:but Lynch didn't walk away from Twin Peaks. He was featured in episodes, and he directed the finale. And most of the cast and crew knew that the series was not going to be picked up again. The network cancelled the series, not Lynch.
The series finale had been finished for less than a few weeks when the announcement that a movie would be made with Lynch at the helm. And it wasn't even entirely decided it would be a prequel.

I'm all for Twin Peaks to continue if it could be done. But in practical terms, it can't. Lynch cannot bankroll it, it's far too expensive. A network is not going to touch it, and the actors have aged too much.

I agree on all but one point, it was widely reported at the time that some of the actors were frustrated because they WANTED Lynch more involved, and Lynch himself was not even WATCHING the shows at one point, by his own admission when he told press he had to come in and clean up the stories told in the last half of the season.

And to answer coolsprings, sadly i think this will be it. Unless that FWWM dvd with deleted scenes ever comes to fruition, we MAY see a book about the entire run of the show, but other than that, i think this is going to be it.

it actually saddens me. but you never know, stranger things have occurred
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

Teopeaks wrote:Well, I understand that you want one more film about Twin Peaks, maybe with Lynch just just as a producer, but to me, Twin Peaks' best aspects and plots come from David Lynch, and what happened to Twin Peaks when Lynch was not around anymore busy working on another project?
What happened? We got the superior second season. :lol:

After Lynch left, it was like the bonds holding the show back were loosened, and it went places no one could have predicted.

Then what did Lynch do? He cleaned house and did a superfluous prequel. Just my thoughts, but there you are.
And the idea of deserving more as an audience is totally absurd and pretentious. We, as an audience, should be grateful for having the opportunity to have this show, we should enjoy it and dream with it, but demanding more from the creators? We as an audience have the right to tell Lynch how he should organise his creations just to please us? I don't think so.
Wow. I don't see that at all...

Without an audience, an artist cannot thrive. If David Lynch did not have fans and supporters he would be out of a job. He has us to thank for being in the best career in the world.

And if anything, Lynch is showing the least amount of respect to his colleagues. It's like Frost and Engels' opinions are worthless (when to me they are worth their weight... IN GOLD!) about whether the story is continued.

I do have to admit, man. You do voice your opinions very "matter-of-factly."

At any rate, we can all agree that Twin Peaks is (at least one of) the best show(s) on Earth, and Engels' graphic novel would have been a VERY UNIQUE special feature for a very unique show. :D
Last edited by The Magician on Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

coolspringsj wrote:My question is not whether you are for or against a continuation (I am for yet not wrapping it up in a tidy bow), the question is will this season 2 soundtrack and DVD next week be the last Twin Peaks products to come out? What percentage chance do we have of future TP products (books, comics, etc.)? I am all for it because it won't tarnish anything that has come before and the already satisfied fans can choose to ignore it. I will watch TP forever, but merchandise-wise, is this the last hurrah?
I'm sure eventually the series will be released once again on one or both of the HD formats (probably a re-issue of the "Gold Box").

As for anything new? Perhaps some more unrelesed music someday. And (fingers STILL crossed) a FWWM release with deleted scenes.

That's probably it. I doubt we'll see any officially sanctioned books, comics, etc.

And who knows... There's still a few years left for Lynch to return before the "25 years later" time period is up. "Meanwhile..."
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

kingsoprano718 wrote:it was widely reported at the time that some of the actors were frustrated because they WANTED Lynch more involved
True. But a few of the actors got caught up in the initial hype and eventual backlash of the show. Jumping on the anti-Peaks/Lynch bandwagon, just to distance themselves from it. Which I think had more to do with their own sense of self-importance and inflated egos than any dissatisfaction with Lynch.
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

Ross wrote:
kingsoprano718 wrote:it was widely reported at the time that some of the actors were frustrated because they WANTED Lynch more involved
True. But a few of the actors got caught up in the initial hype and eventual backlash of the show. Jumping on the anti-Peaks/Lynch bandwagon, just to distance themselves from it. Which I think had more to do with their own sense of self-importance and inflated egos than any dissatisfaction with Lynch.
Possible, but i would not lump McLachlan in with those, considering at that point him and Lynch had a close relationship.

Sherilyn may be one as well as Lara I am sure, but when Kyle said it I knew it was a cry out for help more than egotistical ramblings
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

well, anything that can fix the Audrey/Cooper arc I'm all for.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

kingsoprano718 wrote:Possible, but i would not lump McLachlan in with those, considering at that point him and Lynch had a close relationship.

Sherilyn may be one as well as Lara I am sure, but when Kyle said it I knew it was a cry out for help more than egotistical ramblings
I'm talking about Kyle, Fenn & Boyle specifically. They all pretty much wanted to distance themselves from the show as much as possible, thinking their careers were about to explode. Kyle & Lynch had a major falling out because of it. I know they've since reconciled, but it def. hurt Lynch.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Audrey Horne wrote:well, anything that can fix the Audrey/Cooper arc I'm all for.
Just watch 'Two Moon Junction' and paste Kyle's face on the dude that's in it!

:D
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

i was unsure if their falling out happened during the show or during the movie filming, but you could be right.

personally Donna could have left for all i cared. i liked James better without her, she was so whiny in the second season.

audrey/cooper??? oh if one can only dream.... earle and audrey in the lodge??? mmmmm
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

audrey/cooper??? oh if one can only dream.... earle and audrey in the lodge??? mmmmm
and kingsoprano is back in my good graces.

jerry, I've tried that -it's really hard using glue and digital together.

personally, I can understand Fenn's stance -crafting something for over a year and giving interviews, and then getting the rug yanked out from under her. I wonder how much animosity began to fester on the set -especially with the magazine covers and the emmy and golden globe nominations for Fenn. I know Fenn could be difficult, but still.

Anyone know the timeframe of the Audrey Horne spinoff and the original thoughts on Mulholland Drive? I read blurbs of the spinoff while the show was still on.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

Audrey Horne wrote:
and kingsoprano is back in my good graces.

jerry, I've tried that -it's really hard using glue and digital together.

personally, I can understand Fenn's stance -crafting something for over a year and giving interviews, and then getting the rug yanked out from under her. I wonder how much animosity began to fester on the set -especially with the magazine covers and the emmy and golden globe nominations for Fenn. I know Fenn could be difficult, but still.

Anyone know the timeframe of the Audrey Horne spinoff and the original thoughts on Mulholland Drive? I read blurbs of the spinoff while the show was still on.

I do not have any info on that but i do have a question, off topic i guess

i was watching a made for tv film yesterday and it starred fenn and the guy who played Krycek on X-Files. Her husband had committed suicide while he was supposed to be moving some diamonds for two guys who busted out of jail?

She seemed older but this is the first time i had seen her in a long time. She was absolutely stunning and gorgeous. I mean, classical beauty not just hot you know....

as for Jerry's suggestion, here is an even scarier thought...put Windom Earle's face over the guy from "Boxing Helena" lol

anyway i hope you know the name of this movie as id like to order it.

Back on topic, has anyone thought about a cartoon, and by that i mean in the same style of Spawn...something serious and with an edge....couldnt that work if we get some of the original voices? maybe a 6 part miniseries for hbo? it could please the fans who want more and could be ignored as silly by those who do not want it as part of canon (like the diary and cooper tapes)
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Audrey Horne wrote:I'm all for Twin Peaks to continue if it could be done. But in practical terms, it can't. Lynch cannot bankroll it, it's far too expensive. A network is not going to touch it, and the actors have aged too much.
I agree with you Audrey. I stated before that I'd love to see a "25 years later" story, but honestly, even if Lynch WAS interested (and remember, to this day Lynch states that he is IN LOVE with the world of TP) who is going to put up the money? People have to remember that FWWM almost single-handedly DESTROYED Lynch's career. And I don't think I'm overstating that. Ciby200, the company that produced FWWM, pulled out on a three picture deal with Lynch because they no longer wanted to work with him after the film bombed so badly. (He later took them to court, and was awarded a monetary sum). So even if Lynch wanted to do it, I think finded someone to greenlight it would be pretty hard. And then there's the actors...
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

Ross wrote:who is going to put up the money?

So even if Lynch wanted to do it, I think finded someone to greenlight it would be pretty hard. And then there's the actors...
None of that would have been a problem if he had okayed the graphic novel. It was already paid for by being part of the DVD set. The DVD producer had agreed to it being on there.

*Heavy Sigh* :x
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Ross wrote:but honestly, even if Lynch WAS interested (and remember, to this day Lynch states that he is IN LOVE with the world of TP) who is going to put up the money?
Apparently a few years back, an independent film company in the UK tried to raise money for a new Twin Peaks film. The idea was scrapped when Lynch said he wasn't interested.

Truth be told I would go see a new Twin Peaks film if Lynch was involved. However, I think the closest we will ever get to new Twin Peaks is the Deleted Scenes to FWWM and more music and maybe a coffee table photo book if we are lucky.

If they ever wanted to do anything new from Twin Peaks, now would be the time with the DVD and CD releases to help cross promote.

I just had a crazy thought. What if the DVD and CD releases cause a surge in Twin Peaks fans and Twin Peaks gets popular again forcing a new film or even worse, a re-imagining of Twin Peaks ala the Bionic Woman. If it causes the vintage material to come out like more music, and FWWM Deleted Scenes, I'd be all for it. But when it comes to re-boots of classics, they better keep their mits of Twin Peaks.