'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: 'The Secret Lives of Twin Peaks' new novel by M. Frost 2

Post by Jasper »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Or, for that matter, a series if short stories and/or faux memoirs narrated by te characters themselves - hmm, that last option might be my favorite come to think if it. Maybe "as collected by Cyril Ponds" ;)
This is more or less how I've passively imagined the book will be, though that's not a prediction. "Secret Lives" could mean an omniscient narrator, and it could also mean diaries/memoirs, but what I think might be most engaging is first-person present-tense perspective of each given character. Their thoughts as they encounter other well-known characters could be particularly fascinating. Even though he's not one of my very favorite characters, it would be so interesting to be inside of Hank's sociopathic mind as he goes about his day. There's something unnerving about the way a guy so wrapped up in dark dealings seems to honestly inquire about Major Briggs' enjoyment of his pie. I could see Leo Johnson's mind being a fascinating place as well, especially where his obsession with cleanliness and order mingles with his overall malicious approach to life.

I could see entering into each of these psyches (whichever characters are features) being particularly stimulating for Mark Frost. In a way it would be something like character acting.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I found this old quote of Frost's on alt.twin.peaks. I know he'd said this book had long been a dream project for him but I don't remember seeing this quote before. Based on this, the new book might have some elements we hadn't considered. It might not just be focusing on characters and events from 1989 onwards. Assuming Frost's ideas are still the same (even somewhat the same), some of the novel might go back even further.
At one point, I planned to do a "James Michener-style book on the history of Twin Peaks back to the time of the geological forming of the peaks" but it never came about.
Oh, and given the show is coming back and set 25 years later, I also thought this Frost quote was hilarious:
In a question and answer session, Mark Frost said:

Q: Would it be possible to continue the story now? How about a wrap-up movie?

A: It's extremely unlikely. The sets have been dismantled and there's just no source of financing for it. "We could have definitely resolved many of the loose ends in a few more hours." It would also be hard to get the actors together again. "Maybe we can do 'Twin Peaks 50 Years Later' and have all these really old high school students."
[Laughter]
Looks like it didn't take 50 years after all, only half that!

Both quotes taken from: http://www.twinpeaks.org/faqeps.htm#e46
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jugger

Post by Jugger »

Curious when the book does finally come out if Frost does a small signing tour/reading to support it. Of course unsure if that would happen if he is still involved with filming but if enough filming is completed and edited, perhaps he will be able to do so a short publicity tour for it.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

UPDATE (November, 2015): The release of The Secret Lives of Twin Peaks has been pushed back to 2016. The expected yet still flexible on-sale date is 10/18/2016.
http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/the- ... ark-frost/
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Panapaok wrote:
UPDATE (November, 2015): The release of The Secret Lives of Twin Peaks has been pushed back to 2016. The expected yet still flexible on-sale date is 10/18/2016.
http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/the- ... ark-frost/
Where did they get this from? I googled it. Nothing. Another fantasy report from WTTP?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I believe they have sources just as we do. I can buy it's a tentative date.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

bob_wooler wrote: Another fantasy report from WTTP?
I consider WTTP to be very accurate on their reports. They even gave the names of the foreign publishing editors who will be publishing the book internationally so I believe they have an inside source.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I do believe that Frost is waiting until filming wraps to finish the book. That way any changes can be made. And anyone that doesn't end up filming can be dealt with in the book.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
james
RR Diner Member

Post by james »

Ross wrote:I do believe that Frost is waiting until filming wraps to finish the book. That way any changes can be made. And anyone that doesn't end up filming can be dealt with in the book.
Where did you read that, Ross?
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

N. Needleman wrote:I believe they have sources just as we do. I can buy it's a tentative date.
So...why don't they refer to this source - at least say something like "this is from an anonymous source close to Mark Frost/the publisher" or something. So annoying.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

I personally emailed the publicist for the book from the initial press release and they confirmed the date as well. WTTP is correct here.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

vicksvapor77 wrote:I personally emailed the publicist for the book from the initial press release and they confirmed the date as well. WTTP is correct here.
I'm sure they are, vicksvapor. It's just common courtesy to comment on one's sources, thats all. Fin.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

bob_wooler wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:I personally emailed the publicist for the book from the initial press release and they confirmed the date as well. WTTP is correct here.
I'm sure they are, vicksvapor. It's just common courtesy to comment on one's sources, thats all. Fin.
Not if their source does not want to be exposed. Like most of the spumors we get on here. They have a right to that anonymity.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

N. Needleman wrote:
bob_wooler wrote:
Not if their source does not want to be exposed. Like most of the spumors we get on here. They have a right to that anonymity.
As I said above, why don't they at least write that then? If they did, which is common procedure when proclaiming something, we don't need to have annoying discussions like this.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I have a relative who works for Flatiron Books who was able to give me a tad more info on the book. He said it's not going to be a conventional, straightforward novel, but will instead be a mix of lots of different types of "written media"; there will be letters, emails, transcripts of phone conversations, conventional book chapters, newspaper articles, journal entries, case files, etc., in addition to cool art and photography too, which will interweave with the written portions. He said the goal is for the book itself to be its own piece of art, basically (and to sort of operate as a higher end coffee table-type book, it sounds like).

He said everything with this book in particular is being kept under crazy security reading or looking at anything from the book whatsoever is done so only on a "need to know" type basis, but he said he'd keep me posted on anything else he's able to in the meantime... Anyway, sounds really cool and I'm even more excited!
Last edited by TheArm on Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"