Boxset Now Available in NYC! (A Few Brief Comments)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

Ross wrote:I know I'm in the minority, but I was never a fan of the Cooper/Audrey romance. For me, Kyle was right, and it would have hurt Cooper's character. The idea of Cooper romancing a high-school girl always just seemed... well, creepy. But hey, that's just my take.
I'm in that same minority. Cooper and Audrey would have been... too obvious. And Cooper doesn't seem like the type to fall for "young, pretty girls" left and right. The sexual tension between them is perfect, but any more would have seemed too forced. Coop works far better as a savior of Audrey rather than a lover.

I really like how there is no romance for Coop until 6 episodes from the end when the enigmatic Annie shows up and turns his (and my) head. The timing of that was perfect, and Annie is the only girl I could ever see Coop with.
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Ross and Magician, that's probably why we'll never see eye to eye on the series, and that's okay. To me Cooper and Audrey WERE Twin Peaks. I never gave a hoot about Laura, except that she was an awesome plot device and liked her as a phantom to every different character. I never wanted Cooper and Audrey to consummate anything or go steady -that would be dumb -just keep the two characters on the same path beyond their control.

Other things I love are Piper Laurie's nuances and Richard Beymer's performance. I hate all the aliens, the bad computer graphics, Windom Earle's constant changing diabolical plots. I'll take character development and exploration anyday.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

I'll take character development and exploration AND creamed corn devouring aliens, 1990's CGI, and inconsistently plotting villains! :lol:

J'ai une âme solitaire.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

and while you're at it take Evelyn, Annie and that little scamp, Nicky with you too. Have a party and send me a postcard.

You're still aces, though.
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

Ooooh!!! Can I invite John Justice Wheeler, too???

.................................................... and I am serious.

Cheers to you, too, Audrey! At least if you had to pick one character to obsess over, it was a winner!

J'ai une âme solitaire.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

One more question. Did the Previously or Next on Twin Peaks segments make this set? I had heard that they wouldn't be on the set but just wanted to confirm.

-B
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Audrey Horne wrote:Ross and Magician, that's probably why we'll never see eye to eye on the series, and that's okay. To me Cooper and Audrey WERE Twin Peaks. I never gave a hoot about Laura, except that she was an awesome plot device and liked her as a phantom to every different character. I never wanted Cooper and Audrey to consummate anything or go steady -that would be dumb -just keep the two characters on the same path beyond their control.

Other things I love are Piper Laurie's nuances and Richard Beymer's performance. I hate all the aliens, the bad computer graphics, Windom Earle's constant changing diabolical plots. I'll take character development and exploration anyday.
There's certainly no arguing that people who wanted Coop & Audrey to get together were not going to find near as much to love in the second half of the series. As for me, I never even thought the two would get together- for me it played out pretty naturally. Audrey had a high-school crush on a dashing, older man, especially considering her own (non)relationship with her dad. And of course Cooper was attracted to her, who wouldn't be? But as far as him being interestred in a relationship with her, I don't think so. Think of when you were in high-school, and what you would have thought about a guy in his thirties with one of your classmates. To me, it just seems wrong & creepy. And if there are two things that Coop def. was not, it was wrong & creepy. The only thing I think they misplayed was that they dropped the relationship/friendship all-together. I didn't feel that just because they might not be headed towards a romance, that they should split up their chemistry completely.

And just for the record, I certainly don't feel there are any aliens on/in TP.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

dugpa wrote:One more question. Did the Previously or Next on Twin Peaks segments make this set? I had heard that they wouldn't be on the set but just wanted to confirm.

-B
Nevermind. Found the thread...

viewtopic.php?t=559
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

One more question. What are the menus like? Similar to Season 1 or Season 2? Screenshots perhaps... :)
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

As for me, I never even thought the two would get together- for me it played out pretty naturally. Audrey had a high-school crush on a dashing, older man, especially considering her own (non)relationship with her dad. And of course Cooper was attracted to her, who wouldn't be? But as far as him being interestred in a relationship with her, I don't think so. Think of when you were in high-school, and what you would have thought about a guy in his thirties with one of your classmates. To me, it just seems wrong & creepy.
Yes, in theory it's creepy, and they would probably not get them together in the conventional sense, but just continuing the pull between them (afterall, even if their ages were more appropriate, it's a death to get any two people together on a show -you keep them apart). But in terms of writing, their connection is foreshadowed all throughout the series, the ground work is laid for the two to be connected in a narrative form. "Diane, Windom Earle is missing... I have also learned Audrey Horne is missing. I'm unable to focus on clues or evidence, but only the content of her smile." -Ben's warning to Cooper to stay away, only to return to him the next episode, "You and Audrey have a special relationship..." It goes on and on. Just from a basic storytelling point of view, things are set up for a viewer to get hooked into. What if they had Cooper get interested in Ping Pong in episode four and stopped researching Laura's death, it wouldn't make sense from a storytelling point of view. The writers/creators had a thread but had to alter it from their original vision.

dugpa, I've only checked out the pilot and some second season episodes and no "next time..."
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

dugpa wrote:One more question. What are the menus like? Similar to Season 1 or Season 2? Screenshots perhaps... :)
The screen is the same as the printed version of the disc and has movement on it. (ie. pilot is the lumber saw/machicery sharpening the blades repeated) they're very nice and appropriate.

also included are CBS owned previews of shows like Ghostwhisper, CSI etc. Ignore those.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Audrey Horne wrote:Just from a basic storytelling point of view, things are set up for a viewer to get hooked into. What if they had Cooper get interested in Ping Pong in episode four and stopped researching Laura's death, it wouldn't make sense from a storytelling point of view.
Right- And that's why I said they shouldn't have just dropped it. That's the mistake I felt they made. They didn't need to suddenly have no connection at all just because they weren't headed towards romance.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

Ross wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:Just from a basic storytelling point of view, things are set up for a viewer to get hooked into. What if they had Cooper get interested in Ping Pong in episode four and stopped researching Laura's death, it wouldn't make sense from a storytelling point of view.
Right- And that's why I said they shouldn't have just dropped it. That's the mistake I felt they made. They didn't need to suddenly have no connection at all just because they weren't headed towards romance.
Question is at what point and episode did the changes become obvious.

I would say that little conversation between him and Audrey before he "leaves" after the murder is solved, when just two days/episodes ago he was very concearned and involved with her when they found Maddys body
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Audrey Horne wrote:I never wanted Cooper and Audrey to consummate anything or go steady -that would be dumb -just keep the two characters on the same path beyond their control.
Audrey Horne wrote:
Yes, in theory it's creepy, and they would probably not get them together in the conventional sense, but just continuing the pull between them (afterall, even if their ages were more appropriate, it's a death to get any two people together on a show -you keep them apart).
But isn't that exactly what they WERE planning? A "great romance" between Coop & Audrey? I haven't seen the docs yet, so I don't know if they go into details, but from what I've read in the past it seems that the plan was for Coop & Audrey to "get together".
silenttwn
Roadhouse Member

Post by silenttwn »

Audrey Horne wrote: dugpa, I've only checked out the pilot and some second season episodes and no "next time..."
What about "previously on.."?