'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/18

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: 'The Secret History of Twin Peaks' novel by M. Frost 10/

Post by N. Needleman »

I expect it is a game of telephone. I expect the book to deal with both the distant past and the post-series future leading to now, myself.

I often wondered whether some of the stuff from the Access Guide might have found its way into a Season 3 (the Passion Play, etc.). A lot of it was likely just trappings and creativity, but it's clear some of it was integral and has stuck with Mark Frost over the years. I'm all for it. I don't think everything in the past tie-in books is entirely canonical or relevant to the show itself (some of it simply doesn't work within continuity, as well) but this new one is certain to be the arbiter.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

A 'secret history' certainly sounds like the perfect premise for indulging in the Passion Play, the origin of the Bookhouse Boys (why the sword in their logo?), what's up with the Circulars, the Unguin Field Observatory and much more! 304 pages is a lot of pages...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Saturn's child wrote:
ForKeeps wrote:https://twitter.com/ThatsOurWaldo/statu ... 8433871873
“The Secret History of Twin Peaks” goes all the way back to the 18th century...
Yes, that is interesting...
Washington was settled by the Spanish in the 18th century, maybe early explorers wrote an account of a dark force in the woods?
Wow!! the idea that in the 18th century could be the dark forces, I love !!!

I love all these backward in time.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Guys, a question. according with Welcome To Twin Peaks, my country, Spain, has been done with the book rights. my question is whether the book will be published in their original language or Spanish would be my desire? I say also because in amazon.es is the book in pre-sales, but on english. It is what confuses me.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

I suspect that the translations simply aren't available for pre-order yet! But the news mention local publishers for our countries (Mondadori, in my case), so the book is certainly going to be translated.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Shazbot

Post by Shazbot »

Maybe it'll be the 18th century through 1989, with footnotes about how certain people/things turned out after 1989. I'd be fine with that.

Example: An article about local chessmaster Pete Martell, with a footnote about his bizarre death in an unsolved bank explosion in early '89. Stuff like that.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

Here's the original press release (from the first post in this thread)

Granted this was nearly two years ago now, but that's quite a big difference from "it ends when the show ends." I don't think Flatiron is in the business of pulling the rug out from beneath their customers like that. Until I hear something official from them, I'm going to assume the London Book Fair or whatever it is just had bad information.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Or, equally likely, the book contains all of the above.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

i'm still trying to understand where the 18th century came from :idea:
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

N. Needleman wrote:Or, equally likely, the book contains all of the above.
That's sort of my point, that's essentially what the original press release says. And maybe the book leans more heavily towards pre-1990 history than post-series stuff than they originally thought (which could also account for the title change), but like I said, I don't see them scrapping the original idea completely until further notice.
Clueless
Roadhouse Member

Post by Clueless »

I kinda would be bummed out if the book doesn't touch anything post-finale. I was avoiding the spoiler thread like the plague but after the press release for the book came out I realized that I would already be "spoiled" of most of the character's new professions or potential arcs thus there was no harm finding out before October through vague, leaked details. I guess the potential "tell all" book was a bit of a shallow and available excuse I employed to justify venturing into the spoiler thread to stave off my burning curiosity. :twisted:

If it turns out Lynch and Frost wanted the experience to be completely new, and therefore decided the book shouldn't cover anything from after season 2, I'm going to be a bit bothered and annoyed at my decision. :(
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

I had expected something of this. it would not make sense to talk about the characters 25 years later when we will see on television. detracting enough excitement to the series. Lynch want that everyone see this new season knowing nothing or as little as possible.
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

I actually really like this presumed emphasis on the larger mystery. Hopefully that's indicative of the concentration of the new series as well.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

laughingpinecone wrote:I suspect that the translations simply aren't available for pre-order yet! But the news mention local publishers for our countries (Mondadori, in my case), so the book is certainly going to be translated.

Great news!!! I did not expect less of a jewel like this. thank you very much. 8) 8)
cart

Post by cart »

hmm I'll probably cancel my preorder if there is nothing post finale. I was looking for a little insight into what happened to the characters that are being dropped from season 3. I'll wait until more details emerge b4 I do though.