IE paper that needs a home

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

awalter

IE paper that needs a home

Post by awalter »

So I've got this Inland Empire paper that I'd like to place at some Lynch web site or other. The first draft can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/acwalter@veriz ... mpire.html

The paper went through substantial revision recently, though, and I'm pretty happy with the second draft. I would have liked to see City of Absurdity publish it, but Mike Hartmann seems to have gone incommunicado.

Anyway, I've been out of the online-Lynch loop for a while. What are the better sites out there now? Suggestions, anyone?

~Adam
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

Thanks for posting the paper. I really enjoyed reading it and (rarely for me) agreed with all your points. Dugpa and the Twin Peaks Gazette forums must be the most active Lynch sites and you'll probably find more people have access to your paper here than on The City of Absurdity.
biotron
Roadhouse Member

Post by biotron »

yeah - thanks for posting that, Adam - a neat and highly-readable overview, convincing in many ways without being forceful.

particularly enjoyed section IX, and how it relates to what Kristine McKenna extracts from Lynch on "The Air is On Fire" book's CD (one of the few genuinely interesting snippets she does manage to elicit) - re: the creative process and developing an idea, where a whole "world" - in all of its excruciating detail - is created, opens up and flows entirely from the words of a phrase which always comes first.

perhaps the tagline to the film should have read "a mystery inside mysteries inside words within words within worlds within worlds" - but that obviously isn't quite as catchy as one might hope :)
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

I really enjoyed reading that. It's very good. Some excellent insight that I will reflect on next time i watch IE. Some good insights on Lost Highway too which i think will enhance my appreciation of that movie which i've always found a little "difficult". I like the way you've referenced all of Lynch's work to pull out common themes. Great essay - thanks for sharing it.
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

I too have enjoyed reading this paper.

I like the idea that Nikki Grace, like Diane Selwyn,is at the end of life's rope and has constructed an alternate reality/realities to cope. I hadn't thought of Nikki that way before.
Si

http://www.facebook.com/twinpeaksdeletedscenespetition

''I may be the sole pirate here with the use of only one hand.''
awalter

Re: IE paper that needs a home

Post by awalter »

Just a note to let you all know that my paper finally found a permanent home. It has been published by the good folks at Metaphilm:

http://metaphilm.com/index.php/detail/r ... nd-empire/

This is the revised draft and reads much more nicely than the one at the link I previously gave. Thanks, too, for kind words from others who posted to this thread.

And some of you may want to visit the Metaphilm homepage. It seems that all their published pieces this month, so far, have been Lynch oriented. Pretty cool!
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Hey Adam, thanks! Good analysis of the unanalyzable (is that a word?) Will have to spend more time in there if other Lynch works are the also written about.

Congrats for publishing and thanks for the new link.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I just went back and read more on the homepage of Metaphilm. They've got some pretty silly ideas. This is the first time I've heard an editor of a possibly reputable journal (which I've never heard of) call David psychotic.

(I feel I can talk about it intelligently, because I am a mental health therapist in real life.) David is an ARTIST--he's NOT PSYCHOTIC.
awalter

Post by awalter »

Annie, thanks for your kind words.

About the "psychotic" thing. That's actually a teaser link to the British Psychological Society web site for the article, "David Lynch and psychosis" by Huw Green.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I read the article at the link. I think it makes it look too simple. I also don't think that David has ever had any intention of showing anyone what psychosis looks or feels like. Unless the point of the article is to compare him to Van Gogh or others who really were artists, but who in today's world would be diagnosed as mentally ill. And I don't think David qualifies there, either, no matter how "quirky" he may be.
siriusmystery

Post by siriusmystery »

Well, to me that article made sense. I'm not simplifying movies like Inland Empire, Mulholland Drive or Lost highway by saying that they are about psychosis and that's just it and the article didn't do that either, but the fact is that those movies deal with characters whose sense of reality has broken in an unpleasant way, call it "˜psychosis' or something else. And c'mon, the article didn't claim that Lynch is psychotic himself but that his movies deal with such things.