celebrating season 2

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Me too, but yes, the story was from the diary. I'll unpack my collectibles after I move. All this new enthusiasm for Twin Peaks is just infectious!!!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

What I always thought was interesting about Season 2, is it seems really like it's at least two seasons or three seasons even of another show Almost everything but the kitchen sink is thrown into it! Sure, it can feel like there's just too much inferior non-events from Little Nicky and Lana and all the infamous "what-went-wrong-with-Peaks"moments everyone seems to favour But there's so many amazing moments too, the second season took so many risks, so much is tried and explored, so much happens

Another thing worth mentioning is that it's suddenly three times the length of the first season. I'm always interested in how many episodes a show does a season. Obviously the fewer they do, the easier it is to keep things tighter. Look at LOST, with plans for much shorter seasons from now on, and great shows like DEXTER and WEEDS, these all only have 10 ' 13 episodes per season, as opposed to the usual 20-something. Could TP have sustained itself longer with shorter seasons? After Laura's killer is revealed and Leland dies, it does seem that we start a virtual Season 3 anyhow.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Well, the second season was not all filmed at once. What i mean is i belive it was shot in three blocks. I know for sure that the final 6 episodes were barely greenlighted and shot together (Grace Zabriskie confirmed this to me) If the final 6 never got made, it was quite possible that the final image we would have seen was Josie in a doorknob. Although, i'm sure Lynch would have changed that episode as he did anyway in the final show.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:Well, the second season was not all filmed at once. What i mean is i belive it was shot in three blocks. I know for sure that the final 6 episodes were barely greenlighted and shot together (Grace Zabriskie confirmed this to me) If the final 6 never got made, it was quite possible that the final image we would have seen was Josie in a doorknob. Although, i'm sure Lynch would have changed that episode as he did anyway in the final show.
Was the filming actually split up Jerry? I thought it was just the airing of the episodes themselves that was split. TP was yanked from the air right after the Josie as drawer-knob episode, and put on hiatus. It was unsure (at that time) if/when those last six episodes would air. (When the show did return, it got yanked yet again after only four of the six remaining eps.)

I always split TP into 4 parts in my mind:
1. Pilot + 1-7 (first season)
2. Episodes 8-16 (second season premiere through the end of the LP story)
3. The next seven episodes ending with that Josie episode (because this is where it ended for a brief time)
4. The final six.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I think you have it split up just right. Of course the pilot was filmed a bit before season 1. Yes, i know for a fact the final six were filmed as a bloc after a delay (Exactly how much of a delay i don't know) Check out the picture in the Grace interview on my site. She even wrote on the picture 'Last of final 6 episodes'

http://twinpeaksarchive.blogspot.com/20 ... rview.html
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

There's a clear sense of the fact that season 2 was written and filmed as they went along just by watching it, but it seems to be backed up by hard facts too. The script for episode 29 (if the dates on the script are correct) was written during the hiatus, and the filming was of course after that. 22 episodes is a lot more than 7, that's for sure, and it makes it really hard to keep a unified vision. I think the series would have been very different with a 13-episode second season.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:Yes, i know for a fact the final six were filmed as a bloc after a delay (Exactly how much of a delay i don't know) Check out the picture in the Grace interview on my site. She even wrote on the picture 'Last of final 6 episodes'
I never knew that- the final six DO seem like a mini-series. Especially since they ended up airing them after a break/hiatus.

Oh and Jerry, not sure if I've posted this on the boards- but great site!!! Keep up the great work!
Last edited by Ross on Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Ross wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Yes, i know for a fact the final six were filmed as a bloc after a delay (Exactly how much of a delay i don't know) Check out the picture in the Grace interview on my site. She even wrote on the picture 'Last of final 6 episodes'
I never knew that- the final six DO seem like a mini-series. Especially since they ended yp airing tham after a break/hiatus.

Oh and Jerry, not sure if I've posted this on the boards- but great site!!! Keep up the great work!
Thanks!