Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Re: Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

Post by MoondogJR »

I recently finished watching True Detective (season 2), Les Revenants (season 2) and am now watching Fargo (season 1). All good!

My personal favourites (besides Twin Peaks) are Carnivàle, Riget (The Kingdom) and Deadwood.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

LostInTheMovies wrote: By coincidence, I tuned in for the hotel episode. It was so uncanny see Theroux seemingly reprise his role in MD (more the situation than the character), combined with the "resort" dream of Tony Soprano. Of all the episodes to stumble across!
And for what it's worth, that's actually one of the weaker episodes, in my opinion. In the finale they handle some of the more Lynch-y mysticism stuff a bit stronger (i.e., less literal and more emotional). There's a particularly fantastic scene involving music, but, I won't say more than that.

Also, someone mentioned Fargo, which is quite possibly my favourite currently running series next to Game of Thrones. I went in with zero expectations when the series premiere aired, and was quickly blown away. I dare say the show has possibly exceeded the film, which is high praise (as I absolutely love the film). Loving the anthology style, and their casting game is so on point (Ewan McGregor is playing a dual role in the next season!)
sparco1979
Roadhouse Member

Post by sparco1979 »

The Red Riding Trilogy

Set in Yorkshire from 1977 to 1983

Lot of Great British Actors and Up and Coming Directors are in it and it’s based on
David Peace’s Novels which I also highly recommend

Very much like the darker aspects of FWWM.

I recommended it to Mark Frost on Twitter about 5 years ago, he’d already seen it and “liked it a lot”
cowwithfivelegs
Roadhouse Member

Post by cowwithfivelegs »

Last edited by cowwithfivelegs on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

cowwithfivelegs wrote:Mr. Robot season 2 is ramping up right now.
I agree
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

Taking a sort of different approach to my recommendation, it's a not very Twin Peak-like but rather Twin Peaks-inspired dual recommendation: The Last Picture Show (which I'm sure many of you have seen and is obviously a classic, and it does take place in a small town a la Peaks) and particularly it's sequel Texasville .

The latter is not a great film by any stretch, but it's not bad and I think it's interesting to look at (if you've seen Picture Show) in light of the new Twin Peaks and seeing a sequel made so many years later. Picture Show was released in '71, Texasville in 1990 (The films themselves take place 30 years apart, though) . Nearly all of the main actors returned for the sequel, much like Peaks. Many of them were just kids appearing in one of their first films (like Peaks) in Picture Show and are now middle-aged or older in Texasville (like new Peaks).

I don't think there are many such examples throughout film history, and although Peaks is a very different kind of thing than Picture Show aesthetically, Texasville might give us some kind of idea of what it will be like to watch actors inhabit the same roles so many years later. The one thing I'll say is that not only do characters obviously change over time, but actors do as well (especially when you're comparing teens/early 20s to middle aged) and I think we may be in a very different take on some of our favorite familiar TP characters, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
Ped
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ped »

sparco1979 wrote:The Red Riding Trilogy

Lot of Great British Actors and Up and Coming Directors are in it and it’s based on

I recommended it to Mark Frost on Twitter about 5 years ago, he’d already seen it and “liked it a lot”
Great shout. I forgot all about this. Seems even more relevant now with all the Saville and Yewtree stuff going on in the UK In recent history. Would like to hear what the North American based members would think of this. A proper grim Nothern story.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
sparco1979
Roadhouse Member

Post by sparco1979 »

Ped wrote:

Great shout. I forgot all about this. Seems even more relevant now with all the Saville and Yewtree stuff going on in the UK In recent history. Would like to hear what the North American based members would think of this. A proper grim Nothern story.
Hut it on the head about the Saville (From Yorkshire) and Yewtree stuff!

frightening how close to the bone David Peace got about all that through the books and adapted series.
Ped
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ped »

sparco1979 wrote:
Ped wrote:

Hut it on the head about the Saville (From Yorkshire) and Yewtree stuff!

frightening how close to the bone David Peace got about all that through the books and adapted series.
I got 1977 out the library last year and never got past the first chapter. Not that I didn't like it or that, too many bambino's and not enough time at present I'm afraid.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

Much of the reaction to last nights episode of Mr. Robot has referenced David Lynch. Indeed I thought it was one of the more genuinely Lynchian Lynch homages, particularly because of the sound.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

I just finished the absolutely incredible ESPN documentary series O.J.: Made in America. My filmgoing habits have dropped to a trickle, but I'm pretty sure even if I was going to the theater a few times a week, this would be the best "film" I've seen all year. I was going to say it doesn't have much of anything to do with Lynch/Twin Peaks but actually that's not entirely true. Obviously Lynch has credited the (subconscious) influence of O.J.'s double life - well-loved/well-respected community member and enraged wife-beater/likely murderer - with the conception of Lost Highway. But the story also touches on the dream of L.A. in a way that recalls Mulholland Dr., and what inspired Lost Highway - a man seemingly split and able to dissociate from his violent crimes - also relates back to the Leland/Bob situation of Twin Peaks. What of course is very un-Lynchian is the film's interest in social history (it's as much about the fraught relationship of black America & LAPD as about O.J. - indeed broad sections of the early chapters don't feature O.J. at all and just focus on these issues).

At any rate, it's just a superb piece of work and I recommend it highly. I haven't been able to stop reading about it or talking it up to others in the past week. It's 8 hours long and it was hard to stop watching each night. I haven't seen the fictionalized miniseries (The People vs. O.J.) yet.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

LostInTheMovies wrote:I just finished the absolutely incredible ESPN documentary series O.J.: Made in America. My filmgoing habits have dropped to a trickle, but I'm pretty sure even if I was going to the theater a few times a week, this would be the best "film" I've seen all year. I was going to say it doesn't have much of anything to do with Lynch/Twin Peaks but actually that's not entirely true. Obviously Lynch has credited the (subconscious) influence of O.J.'s double life - well-loved/well-respected community member and enraged wife-beater/likely murderer - with the conception of Lost Highway. But the story also touches on the dream of L.A. in a way that recalls Mulholland Dr., and what inspired Lost Highway - a man seemingly split and able to dissociate from his violent crimes - also relates back to the Leland/Bob situation of Twin Peaks. What of course is very un-Lynchian is the film's interest in social history (it's as much about the fraught relationship of black America & LAPD as about O.J. - indeed broad sections of the early chapters don't feature O.J. at all and just focus on these issues).

At any rate, it's just a superb piece of work and I recommend it highly. I haven't been able to stop reading about it or talking it up to others in the past week. It's 8 hours long and it was hard to stop watching each night. I haven't seen the fictionalized miniseries (The People vs. O.J.) yet.
People VS OJ is great and I highly recommend it. Does a fantastic job of depicting the trial itself, as well as placing it in the larger context of racial tensions in LA at the time. Though, Cuba Gooding JR I found to be the weakest link in the series (he didn't bring enough charisma to OJ)
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Rudagger wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:I just finished the absolutely incredible ESPN documentary series O.J.: Made in America. My filmgoing habits have dropped to a trickle, but I'm pretty sure even if I was going to the theater a few times a week, this would be the best "film" I've seen all year. I was going to say it doesn't have much of anything to do with Lynch/Twin Peaks but actually that's not entirely true. Obviously Lynch has credited the (subconscious) influence of O.J.'s double life - well-loved/well-respected community member and enraged wife-beater/likely murderer - with the conception of Lost Highway. But the story also touches on the dream of L.A. in a way that recalls Mulholland Dr., and what inspired Lost Highway - a man seemingly split and able to dissociate from his violent crimes - also relates back to the Leland/Bob situation of Twin Peaks. What of course is very un-Lynchian is the film's interest in social history (it's as much about the fraught relationship of black America & LAPD as about O.J. - indeed broad sections of the early chapters don't feature O.J. at all and just focus on these issues).

People VS OJ is great and I highly recommend it. Does a fantastic job of depicting the trial itself, as well as placing it in the larger context of racial tensions in LA at the time. Though, Cuba Gooding JR I found to be the weakest link in the series (he didn't bring enough charisma to OJ)
I was mildly curious but after watching the documentary I'm really eager to jump into it. I've been getting really fascinated by the case (I was 11 when it unfolded, and followed mostly secondhand via cultural osmosis though I was invested enough to be really infuriated when I heard the verdict) and have been YouTubing interviews with Chris Darden, Robert Shapiro etc.

That said, what appealed to me so much about the documentary was how it explored the intersection of this deeply compelling character within the larger social contention around him. It's like the best of two forms of storytelling - one driven by the personal psychology of unique individuals, and one driven by a larger historical perspective observing social forces that affect huge groups of people collectively. It may sound over-the-top but it reminded me of War and Peace between the very artful balance between those two vastly different scales.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

To everyone who hasn't seen it yet, I recommend to watch the documentary Mini-series The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst. I liked it even more after watching it the second time.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

What are some Robert Forster movies you guys would recommend besides Jackie Brown and Medium Cool (and Mulholland Dr. obviously)?