Twin Peaks Season 2 Music and More CD Review

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Finally, after 16 years of waiting... I got the CD today. Can't believe its actually been released.

Its got MOST of the tracks I've always wanted:
"Shelly"
"New Shoes" (Probably the best track on the CD)
"Audrey's Prayer" (SOO beautiful. Only wish it were longer. This track pretty much IS season two)
"Harold's Theme" (Again, way too short)
"Just You"
"Josie and Truman" ("Love is Hell")
"Hook Rug Dance" (Makes me SO happy to finally have this one)

I wish there was a full version of "Dark Mood Woods" as its own track.

Still hoping for:
-Cooper and Annie's "Dance Lesson" ("We'll follow each other")
-The version of "Falling" that plays in the RR when Norma's mother confessess to being MT Wentz.
-The music that plays over Albert & Cooper talking about Josie (Episode 2.16), and plays throughout Josie's scene with Andrew. ("To Beginnings... AND Endings, and the wisdom to know the difference.") It is also heard in Episode 2.09 when James gives Donna a ring.

Certainly NOT complaining. The CD is amazing. I never thought it would see the light of day. But now that it has- bring on the rest!!!!
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
silenttwn
Roadhouse Member

Post by silenttwn »

The Love Theme variations opening and ending the CD... is it just me, or are parts of it like... brand new? I mean, like... obviously never heard in the show, but maybe Angelo got on the keys and decided to play out a newer version for the album release.
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Post by moviemaker »

"Love Theme Intro" and "Blue Frank" are my all-time favorite!
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I finally got mine today!!! Listening right now. I'm astounded at some of the music. LOVE "Josie and Truman" the most!! And I was surprised at "Harold's Theme"--great but way too short (agree with Ross.) "Hook Rug Dance" was a surprise and of course, "Just You." Need to listen more to actually distinguish the songs. It blends well.

I just realized how much I love Angelo--David is my hero, but his music doesn't compare to Angelo's.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Pierre Tremond

Post by Pierre Tremond »

I definitely love the disc, Shelley, New Shoes, Josie and Truman etc, as everyone has spoken about, are all fantastic. I love Night Bells, just the perfect theme for when things are screwed up (ie: Major Briggs coming off of the drugs Windom Earle injected him with).

My main gripe is that instead of including a few key missing tracks they waste time with a theme that was never on the show or the movie. And I really had no interest in the Barber Shop Quartet from Episode 9.

What am I missing?

1) Deer Meadow Shuffle

2) What I refer to as the "Mysterious Happenings" theme that appeared first when Jerry Horne confronted Blackie in Episode 8, then appeared in Episode 16 when the Giant returns the ring to Cooper, and again during all the Owl Cave investigations. To me, it's one of the most memorable themes of the series, is quintessential Season 2 material, and should have been included in some form. That baffles me.

I have to hope that this stuff is out there, waiting, I mean at the very least it could get dumped onto I-Tunes someday.

Still, I shouldn't complain, I never, ever, ever in a million years thought I would see a third disc of Twin Peaks music by Angelo Badalamenti, and am tremendously grateful to have it.
ARNIE

Post by ARNIE »

Just wanted to say I absolutely LOVE the new CD. I've checked out other Badalamenti music, but it just doesn't have that special sound/mood.

I think a lot of the enjoyment comes from the connection to watching TP. If I hadn't seen TP I probably wouldn't like the music much. :o
Erwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Erwin »

Last edited by Erwin on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ARNIE

Post by ARNIE »

Not speaking about Mr Badalamenti now, of course, but as a music fan, getting a glimpse, however superficial, into the not exactly agreeable personality of someone whose art you admire can really put you off listening to their stuff again. I usually just move on to something else
Referring to anyone specific?
Frank

Post by Frank »

What happend to the "Love Theme Piano Version" from Angelo's MySpace side? :cry:
jdh.goodgrief
RR Diner Member

Post by jdh.goodgrief »

Frank wrote:What happend to the "Love Theme Piano Version" from Angelo's MySpace side? :cry:
When was that on his site? I'd love to hear that.
Frank

Post by Frank »

It was at the end of 2006. I'm sure there is a link on the board somewhere. I need some time to check that.
jdh.goodgrief
RR Diner Member

Post by jdh.goodgrief »

Frank wrote:It was at the end of 2006. I'm sure there is a link on the board somewhere. I need some time to check that.
Thanks. It isnt on his MySpace site any more, I wonder if anyone saved it.
Frank

Post by Frank »

jdh.goodgrief wrote:
Frank wrote:It was at the end of 2006. I'm sure there is a link on the board somewhere. I need some time to check that.
Thanks. It isnt on his MySpace site any more, I wonder if anyone saved it.
You're right. This is what I found in the Dugpa archive:

Code: Select all

September 20th 2006 
Angelo Releases Sample of Twin Peaks Season 2 Music on Myspace.com 
If you check out the Angelo Badalamenti Myspace Page, they have just released a piano version of "Love Theme" from the upcoming Twin Peaks Season 2 CD planned for a release to coincide with the Twin Peaks Season 2 DVD. Also, look below at what might be a picture of the upcoming CD's cover art. You can read the words "Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air." Enjoy the tune. Hopefully he will post more. 
doublemain
Roadhouse Member

Post by doublemain »

Frank

Post by Frank »

Nice thought, but its not the version from Mr. Badalamentis myspace side.