The Sleeper Has Awakened

Discussion of Dune

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Tonya J
RR Diner Member

Post by Tonya J »

Ah geez. I have a thing about re-makes. How do you all feel about yet another version of Dune? Is there anything left that can be said or explored that hasn't already been? The worst thing about remakes is that you already know what's going to happen. Now, having said that, perhaps Peter Berg can stray from Herbert's novel and bring something new to the table but I'm having a hard time imagining what that would be. I'd rather see the films continue with the next novel in line, Dune Messiah, and so on.
Leland's daughter was murdered and the Norwegians left.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

So would a lot of people, Tonya. Unfortunately the Herbert Limited Trust is in total control of what gets out, and from what I've read on the DUNE boards, they claim to be very picky.

Also unfortunate is that while Frank Herbert seemed to be a great guy and wrote great books, his children and grandchildren are not as impressive. His grandson, Byron Merrit, runs the DUNE message boards and deletes any posts he disagrees with or any post questioning the ad-infinitum numbers of sequels and prequels that they are STILL writing.

The board got a facelift, though, and it's very pretty to look at. It's at www.dunenovels.com.
I go there for information, but that's about it.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Tonya J
RR Diner Member

Post by Tonya J »

Ugh. Annie that's terrible. I read the 1st 3 prequels by the son and his partner and that's where I stopped. I barely remember them now, except for the fact that they exhausted me. Big thick novels that tried to pack a lot in, were reminiscent of the original works, pretty good, but not really up to the quality. It's satisfying to me the original Mr. Herbert's work will live on. The heirs can't control the used books out there for sale.

PS: I still have the original Dune sitting on one of my bookshelves. I've had this copy since the 80s I believe.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Tonya J wrote: PS: I still have the original Dune sitting on one of my bookshelves. I've had this copy since the 80s I believe.
Me too! And I can't believe I passed up an autographed version back in the day when it was only $100 (and I was able to afford it.) Who knows what those are going for now.

Actually, I liked the very first 3 prequels, the Legends of Dune, etc., because it felt like history. After that, however, and including the "final" installments recently published, forget it! Luckily, I was wise enough to just check those out of the library!
Tonya J
RR Diner Member

Post by Tonya J »

4 days off from work - it's like a dream. Such a pleasure to be able to do anything I want. Anyway, that's why I'm here posting in-between watching movies and finishing up with the Twin Peaks box set while others are eating turkey, which is just fine!

I used to have several signed first-editions, not anything of Herbert's. I checked Abe Books and the first listing on top was a hardback, signed, first-edition of Dune. Only $12,500. I'd be happy if I had that much in the bank. Very happy. I'm not sure why I parted with the English first-edition of Delores Claiborne but I've kicked myself ever since. I may have lost in one of my many moves over the years. But the one that I really kicked myself over was selling my first-edition of Bag of Bones when I was down and out for $100.00, signed by Stephen King in my presence during a rare visit he did to Seattle in the late 90s.

In the meantime, I suppose I'll dream about having a first-edition of Dune one day, signed by the master himself (by the way, the price on the Herbert book is a bargain. The most expensive copy of a first-edition Dickens at the same place is $61,000).
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

The autographed DUNE for $12, 500 is a bargain? Maybe if you're a millionaire. I wonder if the guys over at the DUNE boards would answer a question for me. Well, it can't hurt to ask.

I guess I'll wait for the day I can get something autographed by David Lynch. Maybe in person!
Tonya J
RR Diner Member

Post by Tonya J »

:shock: $12,500 compared to $61,000... Sorry, that was total sarcasm on my part. I know I'd have better uses for that kind of money.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Me too!! Lots of uses! I tried to ask a question over at the Dune forum, but their administrator just ignored me. I've told this story in the Collector's Corner in here, but I have these adorable Dune action figures, about 8 in tall. I'll take a picture when I can unpack my box. I also recall passing up a model sandcrawler and possibly an ornothopter. We used to have this really cool sci-fi books and comics store.