The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by LonelySoul »

Jerry Horne wrote:And if there are mistakes, hopefully people take it easy on Mark via social media. We're trying to encourage him to write another one.
I mean, yeah, people shouldn't be dicks. But I think if you're the creator of this world and you legitimately screw up continuity with goofs and whatnot, people have a right to be a little miffed about it. He'll hear about it from fans if there are indeed mistakes.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Jerry Horne wrote:And if there are mistakes, hopefully people take it easy on Mark via social media. We're trying to encourage him to write another one.
100% this.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

LonelySoul wrote:
I mean, yeah, people shouldn't be dicks. But I think if you're the creator of this world and you legitimately screw up continuity with goofs and whatnot, people have a right to be a little miffed about it. He'll hear about it from fans if there are indeed mistakes.
And some people maybe need to respect that he created this world in the first place and that he is only human after all. Mistakes happen.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

sneakydave wrote:
100% this.
Agreed!
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

sneakydave wrote:
LonelySoul wrote:
And some people maybe need to respect that he created this world in the first place and that he is only human after all. Mistakes happen.

Definitely. But things like maiden names, histories, etc. should be easy to clear up for yourself. All you'd have to do is just watch the show again - which I hope he did before embarking on writing this book and the season three scripts.. "I need a maiden name for Nadine. I wonder if the show ever stated her maiden name. I'll check it out."
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Yeah- this is true. Good point Jerry. I mean from what I've seen the book will be amazing regardless of some mistakes, annoying as they may be. I'm eternally grateful to Frost and Lynch for what they are doing. I'm sure people will ask him about these things on his tour- hopefully respectfully. And I'll keep my yap shut on Twitter. :-)
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

sneakydave wrote:
LonelySoul wrote:
I agree 100%.

The important thing is that there is a compelling story that fires the imagination of fans and provides some coherence to Lynch's otherworldy directiing of the TV Show. When you're under the gun to write hundreds of pages on a deadline- in addition to all the other things/jobs you are juggling- it should be no surprise that mistakes could be made in continuity.

The best way to deal with it, if it really bothers you, is to create a plausible explanation in your mind reconciling the discrepancies and then just forget about it.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
beano
Roadhouse Member

Post by beano »

mtwentz wrote:The best way to deal with it, if it really bothers you, is to create a plausible explanation in your mind reconciling the discrepancies and then just forget about it.
this is exactly what i did with discrepancies in the original run and will naturally do again once i get my hands on all the material. right now, everything is speculative.. that being said, im still in the "its all intentional" camp..
Qubism
Roadhouse Member
Location: Another Place - Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by Qubism »

Bookworm wrote:Hi everyone, long time lurker here. So a few days ago I read the first pages of the book on this very thread. Not all of it, just 3 or 4 pages. And on one of the page, the first or second one If I remember right, there was a sentence in which Gordon Cole was (I'm paraphrasing there) quoting an old friend of his that said something about Mystery. Something about why/how Mystery is an essential part of our life (paraphrasing again) because everyone like mysteries, or something to that effect. So does anyone who read the excerpts remember something like that? I really like the quote but when I came back to write it down the pictures where taken down. Thanks!

"A wise man once told me that mystery is the most essential ingredient of life, for the following reason: mystery creates wonder, which leads to curiosity, which in turn provides the ground for our desire to understand who and what we truly are"

..and it ain't Gordon Cole or his friend who said that. At this point, the author is.......a MYSTERY!......

(But back to the real world, copyright Mark Frost, go buy the book AND the audio book. I think I will listen to the CDs while I look at the pictures in the book :-)
fearltd
Roadhouse Member

Post by fearltd »

Has this audio book sample been posted? Sorry, I just stumbled upon it and I don't remember seeing it in this thread.

https://www.overdrive.com/media/2923819 ... twin-peaks

Unfortunately it's not Lynch doing the voice of Gordon Cole :(
Last edited by fearltd on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qubism
Roadhouse Member
Location: Another Place - Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by Qubism »

Wow, awesome to hear that though..... does anyone think that first voice is actually Kyle Mc doing an impression/homage of Gordon Cole?

I would bet money it is...... espesh since I don't think Kyle will be reading any Dale Cooper lines.......

The anticipation is killing me.....

google books uk preview pages are still accessible in the UK..... (or maybe it's just available in Ye Olde Nottingham Town........or what's left of Sherwood Forest, I was listening to the wind blowing in the trees earlier.......)

Cheers,
L. Hazanko

Post by L. Hazanko »

Re: inconsistencies, it's worth remembering that the pages some of us have seen with the Ed/Nadine stuff and the wrong tattoo etc, were seen totally out of context. For all we know, Hawk's tale of Ed's meeting Nadine could be followed by notes from Agent TP about it not checking out with dates in marriage records on file. We've seen in the early Lewis & Clark pages that Agent TP is diligent about cross-referencing the files in the dossier with the recognized, established record where possible, so I wouldn't be too surprised for the dossier to at some point outright contradict what TP digs up elsewhere.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

L. Hazanko wrote:Re: inconsistencies, it's worth remembering that the pages some of us have seen with the Ed/Nadine stuff and the wrong tattoo etc, were seen totally out of context. For all we know, Hawk's tale of Ed's meeting Nadine could be followed by notes from Agent TP about it not checking out with dates in marriage records on file. We've seen in the early Lewis & Clark pages that Agent TP is diligent about cross-referencing the files in the dossier with the recognized, established record where possible, so I wouldn't be too surprised for the dossier to at some point outright contradict what TP digs up elsewhere.
It's possible. But from what I've heard from early book readers is that there are indeed inconsistencies that aren't explained in the book. But again, we'll all be able to see the full book for ourselves in less than two weeks!
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

That's DPK reading as Cole...
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

So yeah, it looks like Frost picked a few actors to narrate the audiobook and not necessarily playing their own character. That explains why Knepper is a part of it too.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.