Twin Peaks Poll - Demographic

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

What is your demographic?

13-17
1%
18-24
15%
25-34
28%
35-44
45%
45-54
11%
55+
1%

Total votes: 200
Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Re: Take a poll

Post by Johnsusername »

krishnanspace wrote:Its good to meet the Original Generation People.You guys might be super hyped for the new season right?
Ha, original generation people :lol: Makes me feel really old. Although I was only 10/11 at the time ha.

Yes, super psyched for the new series. Never thought it would happen, but you know, deep down, there was always a possibility however remote that was....

As a Lynch fan generally, I still can't believe there are going to be 18 episodes of David Lynch on TV. It being Twin Peaks is the icing on the cake.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

krishnanspace wrote:Its good to meet the Original Generation People.You guys might be super hyped for the new season right?
Yeah maybe just a little. Heh. I was 19 when the Pilot aired. Like others I have compared every show to Twin Peaks, looking for style, driven plotlines, originality. . .it has led to a tremendous amount of disappointment. Thank the Gods that Twin Peaks is coming back, even if for so brief a period.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Post by Eater of Iguanas »

Johnsusername wrote:As a Lynch fan generally, I still can't believe there are going to be 18 episodes of David Lynch on TV. It being Twin Peaks is the icing on the cake.
My feelings exactly.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Poll - Demographic

Post by ForKeeps »

So the vast majority of us are 25-54. Showtime would love to hear that.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Mordeen wrote:Hopefully the same will be said of S3. 20-30 somethings in general are jaded by our current ADHDTV environment. Boobs, blood or bad jokes every 3 minutes or tune out.

I'm in the same boat with my regular friends (not including the ton of Peaks friends I made at the Fest). I have two who have even watched the show, and they've watched it once each. I'm introducing my mother-in-law (76 years old) to it and she's mesmerized.

-Mordeen
Is it really accurate to call the age of mad men &al an "adhdtv environment"? I'm far from an expert, as I don't watch a huge amount of tv, but it's hard to imagine something like eg better call saul, which moves at a snail's pace, getting commissioned in the 90s. Even the hbo boobs n blood fare often seems to adopt soap-operatic pacing. If anything I'd think lynch-directed tp with its stately tempo will fit quite nicely within a tv environment it helped create (which means it won't be nearly as disruptive, but of course I'm confident it will still blow minds!)

We're still waiting for the 50+ demo to speak up, btw - maybe you can get your mother-in-law posting here...
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

ForKeeps wrote:So the vast majority of us are 25-54. Showtime would love to hear that.
Ha! I was just about to type: a majority of us are 35-54; a Showtime executive seeing this poll might reach for his or her Alka-Seltzer.

But then I saw your comment and rethought. Now it occurs to me - does Showtime even have a preferred demographic? They don't depend on advertiser dollars, so I'm sure they don't care about the "coveted advertising demographic" of 18-34 (by which standards the above poll wouldn't be good news). Premium cable subscribers tend to be more affluent, which I would think translates to older than the broadcast network demographic. TP original watchers might be right in their wheelhouse, age-wise.

When you think about it, it's remarkable, given this is a quarter-century-old, short-lived TV show, that 45% of the respondents to this poll are under 35 years old.

(Again, I've been noticing a lot this year how polling data can be sliced selectively to create very different impressions.)
Last edited by Eater of Iguanas on Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Dalai Cooper wrote:Is it really accurate to call the age of mad men &al an "adhdtv environment"? I'm far from an expert, as I don't watch a huge amount of tv, but it's hard to imagine something like eg better call saul, which moves at a snail's pace, getting commissioned in the 90s. Even the hbo boobs n blood fare often seems to adopt soap-operatic pacing. If anything I'd think lynch-directed tp with its stately tempo will fit quite nicely within a tv environment it helped create
My thoughts exactly.

TV is much more varied these days... a lot of the lowest common denominator stuff (like the bottom-feeder reality shows) fits Mordeen's description - it's more ADHD-paced, crude and stupid than ever. But there's a lot of stuff in the more-or-less mainstream (especially cable and streaming platforms) that's slower, more grownup-oriented than you ever would have gotten back in the late '80s/early '90s.

Even Game of Thrones, often the go-to example these days of boobs 'n' blood TV, is pretty leisurely and requires a lot of headwork for the viewer to follow its plotting and relationships; I remember in the early part of Season 1, lots of complaints online from young goobers saying, "When is something going to happen?! Where are the giants and the dragons?!" And it took years for those things to show up; in the meantime, it was, and usually still is, a show about politics and family, with lots of people sitting in rooms and talking.
chugalugDonna

Post by chugalugDonna »

Well, I was forty years old for the original airing, and it made me wet my pants! 50 for my first Festival, 66 now. I was always the oldest fan I ever met. The paradox was that it keeps me young! I just hope I live long enough for seasons 3 through 10....
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

You will sir!! :D
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Dalai Cooper wrote:
Mordeen wrote:Hopefully the same will be said of S3. 20-30 somethings in general are jaded by our current ADHDTV environment. Boobs, blood or bad jokes every 3 minutes or tune out.

I'm in the same boat with my regular friends (not including the ton of Peaks friends I made at the Fest). I have two who have even watched the show, and they've watched it once each. I'm introducing my mother-in-law (76 years old) to it and she's mesmerized.

-Mordeen
Is it really accurate to call the age of mad men &al an "adhdtv environment"? I'm far from an expert, as I don't watch a huge amount of tv, but it's hard to imagine something like eg better call saul, which moves at a snail's pace, getting commissioned in the 90s. Even the hbo boobs n blood fare often seems to adopt soap-operatic pacing. If anything I'd think lynch-directed tp with its stately tempo will fit quite nicely within a tv environment it helped create (which means it won't be nearly as disruptive, but of course I'm confident it will still blow minds!)

We're still waiting for the 50+ demo to speak up, btw - maybe you can get your mother-in-law posting here...
I was speaking in hyper-generalistic terms. Reality TV, DIY and "Talent" shows dominate the broadcast spectrum, but there really is some fantastic stuff out there. Better Call Saul (Saul Goodman, "It's All Good, Man!") and Fargo are great examples of the stuff that mix style with substance and do it very well. I just have a harsh opinion for things that use shock or formulas for their ratings. Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead keep doing the same thing over and over again. Twin Peaks laughed at formulaic television, invoked taboos and got people to think about what they were watching way ahead of its time, and I still see too many shows trying to copy it rather than try to find their own style. It's kinda ironic that the show most likely to break the current mold of premium television will be the show that did it in the first place.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

I was 22 when the original aired. Honestly, I don't even recognize myself back then. This third season is triggering a lot of weird emotions.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Mordeen wrote: Better Call Saul (Saul Goodman, "It's All Good, Man!") and Fargo are great examples of the stuff that mix style with substance and do it very well. I just have a harsh opinion for things that use shock or formulas for their ratings. Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead keep doing the same thing over and over again. Twin Peaks laughed at formulaic television, invoked taboos and got people to think about what they were watching way ahead of its time, and I still see too many shows trying to copy it rather than try to find their own style. It's kinda ironic that the show most likely to break the current mold of premium television will be the show that did it in the first place.

-Mordeen
Agreed on Better Call Saul, Fargo (have you seen the cast for Season 3!? Ewan McGregor in a double-lead role playing twins!), Leftovers, Halt and Catch Fire ..

I agree on the Walking Dead being an example of 'doing the same thing over and over again'; people find a location, location is safe, people find baddies, baddies ruin safety, lather rinse repeat.

However, I respectfully, and vehemently, on Game of Thrones 'doing the same thing over and over again'. It's one of the most compelling dramas on television with some of the most nuanced characters I've seen in a show (Jamie Lannister is up there with Walter White). Baelor, Rains of Castamere, The Lion and the Rose, The Mountain and the Viper, The Laws of Gods and Men, The Winds of Winter .. just so many great episodes, and for all very different reasons. Don't get me wrong, it's not a *perfect* show (Dorne anyone?), but, few are (even the Wire had some weak aspects in Season 5 .. Breaking Bad was probably the most consistent drama I've seen, on an episode-by-episode basis).
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

This is wildly OT, but:

I think GOT takes a lot of unfortunate flak, especially now that it is wholly unleashed as of this last season, where the creative shackles have been loosed and it feels much, much more focused than in the last 1-2 years prior where they'd begun to tread water to keep time with the text. I think it's top-quality television, minus some flaws - but almost all great art is flawed in some way.

I also think TWD is wildly underrated by both comic book fans who either expect to see a frankly flat gorehound, kill-a-minute comic (I've read it, it got old fast) play out onscreen and are disappointed when it doesn't, as well as critics who dismiss it as just the above stereotype and don't give it any further weight. I think its current showrunner of the majority of its run has done an unbelievable job balancing the demands of its adaptation process and its heavy-handed creator behind the scenes while building a layered ensemble saga with increasingly rich characters and throughlines, struggling to balance the demands of the creator and audience's fan service with the network's notes and issues - and I think TWD does all of that much, much more adeptly than it is often given credit for. It also has a number of Peaks alumni (Jennifer, Tricia Brock, etc.) behind the scenes. I think it's been pigeonholed in so many different ways by wildly disparate cultural and critical subgroups, but I think it's deeply underappreciated. And I think its current leads (Andrew Lincoln, Danai Gurira, Melissa McBride, etc.) are just incredible. But that's me.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
crumble

Post by crumble »

i'm 24, first watched the series when the gold box was released, so I was probably... fifteen or sixteen? can't recall.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

I'm 26, so definitely not old enough to have watched the original airing. But I was 17 when I first experienced the show. Been in my top 5 ever since, and I don't think it will ever drop out.