The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by N. Needleman »

Major Briggs wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:Expected by most People but still a delightful revelation since he's my favorite character hahaha, do we get to know what happens to him?
I am skipping and skimming around in my excitement - I really need to get food and coffee - but no, I don't think we do.

Based on how the book ends I question how long he would live, unless he completed his mission and resolved the situation to his satisfaction. But given that he has notes on many characters post-finale that would seem to date several years after '89(??), I am dying to know what happened next.
You got the book today and already finished? Holy fast reading Batman!
No. As I said, I am skimming all over it. I need to slow down.

According to the papers, Pete died shielding Audrey from the blast.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Really happy to see you guys enjoying it :) Where I live (Brazil), a big company bought The rights but God knows when they'll be releasig... Brad's book was supposed to be released october last year and still Nothing...
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I'm honestly surprised how much deviates from the show. I just can't see a reason for it. And it does make me worry a bit.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ross wrote:Yep- they completely changed the Ben/Catherine/Audrey stuff. In the show Catherine gets the Mill land back from Ben and SHE is in charge of the Ghostwood development. Which is the whole reason for Ben's Stop Ghostwood plan. Of which Audrey's civil disobedience at the bank was in SUPPORT OF. In the book, Ben buys the land from Catherine and Audrey's bank trip is to OPPOSE her father.

I just don't get it.
Maybe he changed it because the whole Ghostwood storyline was riddled with potholes.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Aqua
Roadhouse Member

Post by Aqua »

N. Needleman wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:Expected by most People but still a delightful revelation since he's my favorite character hahaha, do we get to know what happens to him?
I am skipping and skimming around in my excitement - I really need to get food and coffee - but no, I don't think we do.

Based on how the book ends I question how long he would live, unless he completed his mission and resolved the situation to his satisfaction. But given that he has notes on many characters post-finale that would seem to date several years after '89(??), I am dying to know what happened next.
And on a non-dangrrous level of detail both for yourself and the ones who ain't got it yet, what does it mean that he has notes on characters post-finale exactly? are these in the nook, or just mentioned as being in (physical) posession
cowwithfivelegs
Roadhouse Member

Post by cowwithfivelegs »

Last edited by cowwithfivelegs on Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Josie Packard's real name: Li Chun Fung ("Upright Autumn Bird")
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

There is A Lot in here about Carl Rodd. As to the back end of the timeline, though, per the Archivist/Major Briggs, it claims he "returned to his hometown" (Twin Peaks, I believe) in the early 1980s and "took up residence outside Twin Peaks in a brand-new trailer park. He eventually became the manager of this park [...] he lives there in the park to this day."

The agent analyzing the book - Special Agent Tamara Preston - verifies this with a margin note: "Carl Rodd's new home was the Fat Trout Trailer Park, outside Twin Peaks on the way to Wind River, a town that was later listed as a place of interest in an ongoing FBI investigation of some kind during the late '80s and early '90s. It is a classified file of the highest order and I need time to obtain sufficient clearance to examine it."

I don't recall mention of whether Carl's park in FWWM was explicitly in Deer Meadow. It's entirely possible TP, Deer Meadow, and Wind River are all in close proximity, so I can't necessarily call that a continuity glitch. It's clear whatever Preston is talking about is not just the Teresa Banks or Laura Palmer serial killings.

Given what Preston notes about where Briggs' notes stop and what Cole says in the opening about what this book might be related to re: a case in 1991, I wonder if the end of Briggs' archiving came about in '91 due to his own death.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

This is starting to remind me of Harper Lee's 'Go Set A Watchman', which changed several details that made it inconsistent with the narrative 'To Kill A Mockingbird'.

Of course, in that case, there is a good excuse- Go Set A Watchman' was probably never intended to be published.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

When Cooper turns into a racist, then I'll be bothered.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

N. Needleman wrote:There is A Lot in here about Carl Rodd. As to the back end of the timeline, though, per the Archivist/Major Briggs, it claims he "returned to his hometown" (Twin Peaks, I believe) in the early 1980s and "took up residence outside Twin Peaks in a brand-new trailer park. He eventually became the manager of this park [...] he lives there in the park to this day."

The agent analyzing the book - Special Agent Tamara Preston - verifies this with a margin note: "Carl Rodd's new home was the Fat Trout Trailer Park, outside Twin Peaks on the way to Wind River, a town that was later listed as a place of interest in an ongoing FBI investigation of some kind during the late '80s and early '90s. It is a classified file of the highest order and I need time to obtain sufficient clearance to examine it."

I don't recall mention of whether Carl's park in FWWM was explicitly in Deer Meadow. It's entirely possible TP, Deer Meadow, and Wind River are all in close proximity, so I can't necessarily call that a continuity glitch. It's clear whatever Preston is talking about is not just the Teresa Banks or Laura Palmer serial killings.

Given what Preston notes about where Briggs' notes stop and what Cole says in the opening about what this book might be related to re: a case in 1991, I wonder if the end of Briggs' archiving came about in '91 due to his own death.
Oh dear Frost... If he retconned Deer Meadow now that would be a hard one to swallow. The sad thing is these mistakes took so much of the excitment about reading the book away from me :(
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Again - the way it's written here (and the way the Fat Trout is presented in the film) does not conclusively contradict either film or book, at least not from what I've seen thus far. We knew Twin Peaks and Deer Meadow were close to each other. Wind River is mentioned at least once somewhere in the existing canon, IIRC. I have yet to see anything that eradicates Deer Meadow from the narrative.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Does anyone know if Lynch had any direct input in the book? As far as I know this is Frost's baby, much like FWWM was Lynch's.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I would assume Lynch and Frost at least talked it over. FWWM stuff is a major part of the book. The ring is a substantial part of the narrative. Jeffries is in here at least once.

As for Carl today, the book aside, prior filming evidence suggests that he may have moved his park closer to Twin Peaks post-'88.
The chief has given me the ring mentioned above to take along, but with emphatic gesture indicated it should be left in its pouch and under no circumstances worn. - Meriwether Lewis, 1805
Aqua
Roadhouse Member

Post by Aqua »

Yeah, that quote was in the originally leaked 40+ pages. Looked straight out of the lord of the rings, wasn't one of the hobbits name also meriwether 8) (the pages that copy real-life Lewis' letters also afair look very much alike the runes or whatever in the aforementioned)