The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by LonelySoul »

Driftwood wrote: hell I just skip from the killer reveal episode to the series finale when I rewatch the show anymore
This hurts my heart. I love those episodes. I am sad now.

I agree with the frustrating read thing. I don't know how well or not well Frost cared for any of that latter season two stuff. Regardless, instead of changing it to fit what he thinks it should have been like, he should've just left it as is (if that is what he's trying to do). It wouldn't have harmed anything. A new fan would watch the whole series, move on to the book and stuff from those "poorer" episodes would just never be brought up again (except for the lodge stuff). No big deal.

Obviously Dougie is a big player in the book though. Frost said he wanted a character we all recognized but didn't have a lot of preconceived notions of. I think Dougie works for that purpose well.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

Driftwood wrote:Ido you have an actual argument or are you just going to keep posting these exagerated whiny big nothing comments just to try to shut down any critcism without any thought
That's not an exaggeration, it is literally the logical extension of his argument. I'm sorry that you don't like how it exposes the silliness of that argument.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Folks, conversation and debate is healthy but please be sure that you treat each other with mutual respect. Any name calling will get you booted for it. You may get a warning and you may not.

Also try and keep in mind, it's just a TV show and at the end of the day, we are ALL a bunch of nerds.

Carry on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

crossoverman wrote:
Double R Diner wrote:SO - I posted in the other two threads about that Frost live-interview on the FB of Welcome to TP. I won't do so here, but spill a bit of interesting info:

When asked about the inconsistencies - specifically relating to Norma's story - Frost essentially said "Sometimes we think we know things that we don't. And sometimes, things are revealed as something different further down the line."

He also said that he sometimes asked questions on twitter to get quick/correct answers.

So there.
I actually think the more important part of that FB live interview was Frost's reaction to the typewriter with the missing "1" key - which, as was discussed in the Red Room podcast, might be a clue to unraveling the possibility that someone fabricated some of this evidence. You have to watch the video, these questions about the inconsistencies in the book happen at the very end, but he's surprised by the question and it seems like it's an important clue.
link / time stamp for this please?
crossoverman

Post by crossoverman »

dud wrote: link / time stamp for this please?
The FB Live video is here. Hard to time stamp the questions, but at -2:40 (ie. 2m, 40 sec remaining) there's the question about the inconsistencies and then at -1:15 the question about the "1" key is asked. He answers "maybe" with a smile but also just listening to the question, he knows more than he's letting on.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Sorry I missed any of you at Union Square. It was fun. Mark was a class act during and after the show. A few of us basically accosted him after the event. One alarming detail when mentioning Lana was that "you might remember her as the winner of the 1989 Miss Twin Peaks contest." No Q & A, but some discussion with him during his signing and then outside, Really nice guy.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
crossoverman

Post by crossoverman »

I haven't listened to the whole of the audiobook yet, but I'm wondering if we can start putting the cast to the sections they read. I'm trying to figure out if these actors will give us some clues on how to decipher the book.

Can anybody help me fill in the blanks?

Mark Frost - there's an article by Cyril Pons in the book, so presumably he voices that?
Amy Shiels
Annie Wersching - voices Agent Tamara Preston (TP)
Chris Mulkey - voices Hank Jennings (presumably just reads Hank's letter?)
David Patrick Kelly - voices Gordon Cole (Lynch too busy making the show?)
James Morrison - voices The Archivist (keeps this mystery, also the original actor who plays Major Briggs is dead)
Kyle MacLachlan - which parts of the book are in Cooper's voice? I remember some of the files were put together by Coop but can't remember which ones now
Len Cariou - at a guess, he voices the Milford stuff?
Mat Hostetler
Michael Horse - voices Deputy Hawk (reads Hawk's journal entries about Norma/Big Ed/Nadine)
Robert Knepper
Russ Tamblyn - voices Dr Jacoby (reads his journal entries/notes, etc.)

Anyone help out on where the other voices fit?

NOTE: some of the above might be wrong. Shiels may actually be voicing TP and play her in the series? But some talk on Twitter suggests Wersching is reading TP. Hmmm.
Last edited by crossoverman on Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Audrey Horne wrote:One alarming detail when mentioning Lana was that "you might remember her as the winner of the 1989 Miss Twin Peaks contest"
Uhhh.... what?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
crossoverman

Post by crossoverman »

Ross wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:One alarming detail when mentioning Lana was that "you might remember her as the winner of the 1989 Miss Twin Peaks contest"
Uhhh.... what?
This book is from another dimension. Oh, wait, that's from a comment Frost made at a reading?! He's playing with us BIG TIME.
Last edited by crossoverman on Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squealy
Roadhouse Member

Post by squealy »

crossoverman wrote:I haven't listened to the whole of the audiobook yet, but I'm wondering if we can start putting the cast to the sections they read. I'm trying to figure out if these actors will give us some clues on how to decipher the book.

Mark Frost - there's an article by Cyril Pons in the book, so presumably he voices that?
Amy Shiels
James Morrison - voices The Archivist (keeps this mystery, also the original actor who plays Major Briggs is dead)
Kyle MacLachlan - which parts of the book are in Cooper's voice? I remember some of the files were put together by Coop but can't remember which ones now
Mat Hostetler
Michael Horse - voices Deputy Hawk (reads Hawk's journal entries about Norma/Big Ed/Nadine)
Robert Knepper

NOTE: some of the above might be wrong. Shiels may actually be voicing TP and play her in the series? But some talk on Twitter suggests Wersching is reading TP. Hmmm.
I think Michael Horse also reads the Chief Joseph sections.
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

thank you crossoverman!
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Ross, Frost talked about Lana when or after introducing the character of Doug Milford during his panel. It seemed his Miss Twin Peaks comment was his way of encapsulating or reminding people who Lana was... Probably equating in his mind her notorious talent performance with the whole pageant.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Audrey Horne wrote:Ross, Frost talked about Lana when or after introducing the character of Doug Milford during his panel. It seemed his Miss Twin Peaks comment was his way of encapsulating or reminding people who Lana was... Probably equating in his mind her notorious talent performance with the whole pageant.
All of this is so bizarre. Are his facts that messed up? Or is he playing with us for some unknown reason? Maybe as I said before Annie has somehow vanished from existence (within the story)?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Yeah guys, looks like we're going from "How's Annie?" to "Who's Annie?"...
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

squealy wrote:
crossoverman wrote:I haven't listened to the whole of the audiobook yet, but I'm wondering if we can start putting the cast to the sections they read. I'm trying to figure out if these actors will give us some clues on how to decipher the book.

Amy Shiels
Mat Hostetler
Robert Knepper

I think Michael Horse also reads the Chief Joseph sections.
He does - Mark highlighted this at the NYC signing tonight.

Also (having just heard Mark speak tonight and then listened to Disc 3 of the audiobook), I'm 99.99% certain that Mark reads Margaret's hospital report (by Dr. Dan Hayward). This is cute, because Mark is of course playing the father of a character played by HIS father on the series. (Also note that Mark does a tiny bit of ad-libbing in this section, taking slight liberty with his own material.)