The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by Ross »

laughingpinecone wrote:Does anyone remember if the book says anything about the Truman switcheroo? Fred was Sheriff, then Frank was Sheriff, then Harry took over in '81 when Frank moved West, then...?
I think that's all that is said.

So does anyone think Dougie will be mentioned in S3? It sounds like Frost just used that character for the book, so it seems unlikely, right?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

LonelySoul wrote:
vicksvapor77 wrote:The part about Lana winning 1989 Miss Twin Peaks and what he said about someone screwing up with Laura's age are direct quotes, though.

Are you able to elaborate please? Exact quotes? Video/audio of this? What book tour location did this happen at? Etc.
My post from a few pages ago:
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 020#p61663
AgentCoop
Roadhouse Member

Post by AgentCoop »

Ross wrote:
So does anyone think Dougie will be mentioned in S3? It sounds like Frost just used that character for the book, so it seems unlikely, right?
That's my guess. I think MF chose to flesh out Dougie's back story precisely because he's a previously established character who doesn't really figure in to S3.
I'm an admin for The Genius Of David Lynch, Facebook's best DL group. Hit us up to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1374245592894483/
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

AgentCoop wrote:
Ross wrote:
That's my guess. I think MF chose to flesh out Dougie's back story precisely because he's a previously established character who doesn't really figure in to S3.

I have a feeling his general impact on all sorts of things from the book will be felt, but mentions of him specifically will probably not happen. Frost knew the season three content and (probably) tailored the book to set up this new season.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
Saela
Roadhouse Member

Post by Saela »

All the speculation about different timelines and stuff, made me remember the Festival of Disruption video in which Lynch was going to tell us something about Season 3, then said we're out of time...

Maybe he was actually giving us a clue?

I'm half joking.
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

Another trailer / book discrepancy: the Buick receipt in the trailer looks old and weathered, ie authentic.

In the book it is in pristine condition even though it is supposedly almost 70 years old...
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Re: The Secret History of Twin Peaks (SPOILERS)

Post by TheArm »

mfleite wrote:Is Agent TP the Naomi Watts character?
I do not believe so. It sounds like Amy Shiels is the mostly likely candidate to be playing TP (but this is by no means confirmed).
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Almost done with the audiobook. Definitely prefer the physical book, although the audiobook contains most of the same info (it even has a lot of the images, on the final disc). The only egregious omission is that Carl Rodd's entire letter is absent from the audiobook (as is TP's corresponding commentary on the Bohemian Grove / Illuminati / owl connection). Certainly not the most important part of the book, but I do love me some Carl.

The narrators are a mixed bag. Morrison (Briggs) and Cariou (Doug Milford?) are both solid; Wersching is often cringeworthy. Horse is phenomenal, both as Chief Joseph and Hawk -- probably the only parts of the audiobook I might go out of my way to revisit in years to come. MacLachlan, as I've already said, is almost defiantly non-Cooperish in his delivery, making me wonder why they even bothered getting him to read that section. Tamblyn gets an A for effort, but his eccentric emphases rarely line up with the content of what he's saying -- it's almost Shatneresque at points. I get the sense that he did one cold reading of each section, and didn't really understand much of what he was reading/saying. Still, it's nice to hear that recognizable voice again.
What page is Carl's letter on? Just glanced through the book and can't see it.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Noidea

Post by Noidea »

dud wrote:Another trailer / book discrepancy: the Buick receipt in the trailer looks old and weathered, ie authentic.

In the book it is in pristine condition even though it is supposedly almost 70 years old...
I also noticed this receipt, like the archivists notes, used capital I's instead of 1's. Made me suspect it could be a forgery.
LonelySoul
RR Diner Member

Post by LonelySoul »

sneakydave wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Almost done with the audiobook. Definitely prefer the physical book, although the audiobook contains most of the same info (it even has a lot of the images, on the final disc). The only egregious omission is that Carl Rodd's entire letter is absent from the audiobook (as is TP's corresponding commentary on the Bohemian Grove / Illuminati / owl connection). Certainly not the most important part of the book, but I do love me some Carl.

The narrators are a mixed bag. Morrison (Briggs) and Cariou (Doug Milford?) are both solid; Wersching is often cringeworthy. Horse is phenomenal, both as Chief Joseph and Hawk -- probably the only parts of the audiobook I might go out of my way to revisit in years to come. MacLachlan, as I've already said, is almost defiantly non-Cooperish in his delivery, making me wonder why they even bothered getting him to read that section. Tamblyn gets an A for effort, but his eccentric emphases rarely line up with the content of what he's saying -- it's almost Shatneresque at points. I get the sense that he did one cold reading of each section, and didn't really understand much of what he was reading/saying. Still, it's nice to hear that recognizable voice again.
Page 307.
Come hang out at http://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks. I'm /u/iswitt, one of the moderators.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

LonelySoul wrote:
sneakydave wrote:

Page 307.
Thanks. I've been pretty much audiobook only thus far. Just checked it out.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

That's a weird thing to remove! I can see why they'd take out "inessential" items like the favourite book list, ads, blurbs & such - although these add a lot and make me glad I have the print version, trying to include them would mess up the flow of the book - but I can't see a reason to skip the letter. It's actually more awkward to take it out, and leaves the reader wondering why the fuss about a letter we're not told the content of.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Speaking of the removal of "incidental" matter from the audiobook, it makes it that much more pronounced that in the section on the football game the actor reading from the post article makes a point of reading the truncated opening of the next story (about a go-kart crash) - which made me take another look at the book, and it turns out that all the newspaper clippings aside from that one have been carefully cut so as to only include the relevant story. Does this go-kart accident have some significance I'm missing? I thought it might be a cute reference to something from one of the other books (I've only read the diary)
squealy
Roadhouse Member

Post by squealy »

MacLachlan, as I've already said, is almost defiantly non-Cooperish in his delivery, making me wonder why they even bothered getting him to read that section.
Keep in mind, he's reading a document that Cooper wrote, rather than acting out words Cooper says, or reading a letter or message that would have a more personal style. Apart from his praise of the diner the document is a factual, mostly neutral account that Cooper's personality is not injected into much (as opposed to Hawk's story of Ed and Nadine, which is much chattier in tone).
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

haven't heard the audiobook but i wonder if the non-cooperish delivery by kyle is a hint that it ain't the good dale who we're listening to !