The Book

Discussion of Wild at Heart

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Annie
Global Moderator

The Book

Post by Annie »

Has anybody read the book, The Wild Life of Sailor and Lula, better known as Wild at Heart by Barry Gifford? I have it and it's for sale for 99 cents on eBay!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

I'm glad you posted this. I keep meaning to try to find it and read it. I rather like the movie although most Lynch fans I know don't. I think one of the Wrapped In Plastic eds said no matter how many times he watched WAH he just didn't get it.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I understand. It's like it just doesn't have enough weirdness for most Lynch fans. I realize it's no Eraserhead (haven't seen IE), but it's just weird enough for me. And I have a special thing that DL has with the Wizard of Oz. Glenda the Good Witch is one of my favorites. Although now that Wicked's out, I kind of like the Wicked Witch, too!
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

Come to think of it, maybe the weirdness is what's missing. However, I think DL is an excellent film maker and find myself willing to follow him anywhere.

I saw IE and loved it. The weirdness is there but so is a solid story. I can't analze each scene but it is an excellent film. DL was there for a Q & A. He said next time he's going to use a script! As a screenwriter, amature, I must agree.
Medard

Post by Medard »

sloclub wrote:Come to think of it, maybe the weirdness is what's missing.
I don't think Wild At Heart is that much different from the other Lynch movies. It's still got a lot of typical Lynchian moments. It's just not on the level of abstractness as Muhlholland Dr. or Lost Highway was but more near the level of Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet.

Haven't read the book and, altough I love the movie, I don't have much interest in doing so.
Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

Post by Asterisk »

I really like WAH, and I think it still has plenty of good Lynch weirdness. Also, don't forget, this is still waaaay out there for people who are mainstream movie watchers.

A northern English friend of mine thought it was incredibly weird. "What the fook's this fookin' weird shite yer watchun?" I believe she asked me one evening...
essencia

Post by essencia »

I think this film has some wonderful weird moments. I think the Jack Nance cameo is fantastic, but then I love him after Eraserhead. I've had a picture of his dog in my head for the last 15 years :lol:

BTW is there a reason why there is no Eraserhead area?
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I left a message for dugpa about Eraserhead, but didn't get an answer. You might want to pm him. It's possible that since this board is a free one, there's a limit to the amount of subjects it can handle.
motoko
Roadhouse Member

Post by motoko »

Film was great!! and as soon as I read the book I was hooked on Barry Gifford.
recordroomx

Post by recordroomx »

I dug the book quite a bit
Cage not being annoying is a great reason to see the film again though