The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by gavriloP »

I noticed that too just now! I also wrote something about souls in wood in the inconsistencies thread. Especially the fact that Briggs don't mention that at all in the book even though it was very troubling for him in the series is very strange. He also omits the very important line "the owls are not what they seem" from the deep space monitoring message. Mistakes or misleadings? And why? Do we need to see the new season before this opens? That's cruel :)
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

gavriloP wrote:I noticed that too just now! I also wrote something about souls in wood in the inconsistencies thread. Especially the fact that Briggs don't mention that at all in the book even though it was very troubling for him in the series is very strange. He also omits the very important line "the owls are not what they seem" from the deep space monitoring message. Mistakes or misleadings? And why? Do we need to see the new season before this opens? That's cruel :)
"Briggs"
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Still working through the book.

I'm actually getting a bit of a Picnic at Hanging Rock vibe with the book, even down to dates being different from expected – Saturday, February 14, 1900 is a non-existent date, for example, in Picnic and there are variant dates in this one.

It's definitely got an otherworldly feel...

The reading continues.
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

MAJOR SPOILER DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE BOOK

But please answer if you have :)

How come Major Briggs did not know Cooper spent the night in Glastonbury Grove? He was at the Sherrif's station when Cooper left. Am I wrong?
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

Teopeaks wrote:MAJOR SPOILER DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE BOOK

But please answer if you have :)

How come Major Briggs did not know Cooper spent the night in Glastonbury Grove? He was at the Sherrif's station when Cooper left. Am I wrong?
I don't think he was, it was Cooper, Truman, Hawk, Pete Martell, the Log Lady, and Ronette Pulaski.

I think the last time we see Briggs is at the RR Diner when Sarah Palmer comes in with Jacoby and gives the message "I'm in the black lodge with dale cooper"...so there's something else to think about... god DAMN these people are confusing.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

Yep, Briggs gets Windom's message through Sarah in Double R. That is another huge anomaly in the book considering the message: Windom Earle invites Major Briggs to Black Lodge where he is waiting with Dale Cooper. At minimum Briggs should mention this. Only logical explanation would be that someone else (bad Coop with BOB, for example) changed the contents of the dossier. If I recall right, Frost said that he watched the last episode for continuity so this can't be just mistake (just like with Annie). If it would be a mistake, it would seem Frost didn't even read what he wrote, more or less :) That sounds simply impossible.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

If you view the omissions, historical revisions and personality diversions through the lens of the Red Room events of the final episode, a pattern begins to emerge.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

My friends and I are convinced that Windom did not go to Twin Peaks in this version of the events. Pittsburgh got shifted to 1988, there is no mention of him in town, and Coop has a hell of a lot of free time on his hands past the Palmer case.

Plus, Gordon appears to have taken on a few of his traits, very notably FBI-Air Force liaison (I can't have been the only one who expected Windom at that point?), but that's another layer of weirdness for another day.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Are you saying -> No Annie = No Windom???
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

That seems deeply implausible to me.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

N. Needleman wrote:That seems deeply implausible to me.
All of this doesn't make complete sense, so it is implausible, right?

However, I love the above ideas about Windom Earle having manipulated things somehow from the Lodge. Is Earle not mentioned one time in the book?
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Earle is referenced on pp322-23, however no mention whatsoever of his connection to Twin Peaks. Like the murders, the stalking, kidnapping, attempted murder, torture, Project Blue Book, more kidnappings.

Intentional omission. Because he's connected to the Lodge.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

One doubt I have is who is the FBI contact that President Nixon tells Milford? Is it Gordon Cole?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

NormoftheAndes wrote:All of this doesn't make complete sense, so it is implausible, right?
Nope. But there's a difference between not making sense and their willingly dispensing with that portion of the existing narrative, which was central to the finale. I see no evidence that they've done so with Earle in the story.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

Ya'll have lost me. Entirely. I have no idea what is going on in here. LOL.

Oh well. The novel wasn't everything I wanted but it was a nice diversion and it looks pretty on a shelf. All in all, time well spent, but I'm moving on to something new now.