Official Thread - TCA Announcement - Twin Peaks on Showtime May 21st

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

Ugh, Michael Cera ...
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

I remember reading on the forum a while ago about there apparently being a scene between Andy and Hawk, which was partly improvised, that was supposedly unbelievably funny. I have no doubts about there being a lack of humour. If anything, I imagine the contrasts between the two sides of Twin Peaks will have heightened. We already know it's going to be very dark, violent and disturbing in some places, but I'm sure there will be uplifting moments, funny asides, and emotional levity.

I think the nature of Twin Peaks as a 'TV show' is that it is inherently unbalanced. It's not easy to quantify what makes it what it is; I am of the opinion that FWWM is a profoundly moving masterpiece, some can't stand it. But what I think makes Lynch so special to me, is that I struggle knowing when to laugh. I must have found something funny in every Lynch film, be it a hesitancy in delivering dialogue, or an unexpected moment of light slapstick. I'm absolutely convinced that at some point in S3 I will laugh at something without knowing if the humour was intentional, and I believe that's just as valid as laughing at Andy falling down, or Cooper pinching Harry's nose.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

Snailhead wrote:I find FWWM charming... there's humour there. And Lynch contributed a lot of the humour to the original series. I love Frost but he wasn't the only part of the equation responsible for levity.

So, yeah, there's a good number of fun parts to balance the darkness, I find:

- DEER MEADOW. Carl Rodd, Irene, the awkward interactions between Chet and Sam, lotsa fun stuff.
- Albert.
- Bobby walking around the high school.
- Jacques in the pink room.
- Laura getting into that outfit while on the phone with James.
- Laura laughing after Bobby kills the guy. (ok maybe I have a twisted sense of humour...)
Don't forget my personal favourites...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNEhVHL ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8_1H4Z ... e=youtu.be
NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

Trudy Chelgren wrote:But what I think makes Lynch so special to me, is that I struggle knowing when to laugh. I must have found something funny in every Lynch film, be it a hesitancy in delivering dialogue, or an unexpected moment of light slapstick. I'm absolutely convinced that at some point in S3 I will laugh at something without knowing if the humour was intentional, and I believe that's just as valid as laughing at Andy falling down, or Cooper pinching Harry's nose.
What you're explaining is the absurdism of Lynch, which I also love, a lot more than the humor. Those moments when you don't know what to feel. It's both sad or dark and funny at the same time. Like the scene in Eraserhead with the chickens. It's horrifying and funny at the same time. You feel uncomfortable but with a smile on your face.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Gabriel wrote:It's always a danger you'll profoundly dislike a belated continuation of a series. I detest modern Doctor Who. I detest all non-Kirk/TOS Star Trek. If I hate the new Twin Peaks, so be it. I'll be massively disappointed, but it won't be the first time. I've got my battle scars! ;)
Honestly, I don't think I'm entirely prepared for it. I've immersed myself in the hype too much, which would, of course, add all that much more to the disappointment. I bet I'm not alone in that.
Gabriel wrote:While I understand a lot of people are married to the 'dark' side of a Twin Peaks, a lot of people love it for something more: charm. The original show was charming and witty. No matter how dark things got, there was something quirky that would happen, be it a fish in a percolator or a barbershop quartet in the Great Northern. Indeed, I think the horror was enhanced by the presence of the humour, 'black as midnight on a moonless night' coffee and damn fine cherry pie.
I wholeheartedly agree. The contrast is not a small part of what made Twin Peaks so special - and, as Snailhead says, FWWM has it as well, albeit the darkness comes in proportionately larger doses.
Snailhead wrote:- Laura laughing after Bobby kills the guy. (ok maybe I have a twisted sense of humour...)
I always found that scene hilarious.
I'll see you in the trees
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

Don't forget Kyle saying "there's a lightness to it" in the behind-the-scenes promo, which wouldn't make much sense if it's unrelentingly dark.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

TvinPiks wrote:
Dalai Cooper wrote:I'm sure your taste is great, just great, but um are you sure you didn't accidentally watch a jodorovsky film instead of mulholland dr cause otherwise I can't see where this quasireligious claptrap comes from
Let me reply in polite, noncondescending manner (since your post was doubtlessly as noncondescending as they get): Yes, I am sure.
TvinPiks, you and I have had no previous correspondance on this forum and it is perfectly fine to state your opinions. Sometimes it is hard to know how one's writing comes across on online forums, most of your posts seem very aggressive/hostile and I am sure you don't mean them to be that way. Basically what I am trying to say is, if you want other board members to be respectful and curious during debates, be sure to do the same.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

The Jumping Man wrote:Don't forget Kyle saying "there's a lightness to it" in the behind-the-scenes promo, which wouldn't make much sense if it's unrelentingly dark.
It's really hard to read too much into that statement, because it's taken out of context. You don't know what Kyle was referring to- the new show, the original show, the camraderie with his fellow actors, etc.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Has anybody considered the possibility that Good Dale gets out of the Lodge early in the series, only to discover his doppelganger has caused mayhem on Planet Earth, which creates all kind of dilemmas for him?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

mtwentz wrote:Has anybody considered the possibility that Good Dale gets out of the Lodge early in the series, only to discover his doppelganger has caused mayhem on Planet Earth, which creates all kind of dilemmas for him?
Could be interesting, as long as it doesn't get too "Superman III" :-)
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

eyeboogers wrote:
mtwentz wrote:Has anybody considered the possibility that Good Dale gets out of the Lodge early in the series, only to discover his doppelganger has caused mayhem on Planet Earth, which creates all kind of dilemmas for him?
Could be interesting, as long as it doesn't get too "Superman III" :-)
Hey that battle between Clark Kent and Superman was classic :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

mtwentz wrote:
The Jumping Man wrote:Don't forget Kyle saying "there's a lightness to it" in the behind-the-scenes promo, which wouldn't make much sense if it's unrelentingly dark.
It's really hard to read too much into that statement, because it's taken out of context. You don't know what Kyle was referring to- the new show, the original show, the camraderie with his fellow actors, etc.
Isn't the new show implied? It would be borderline fake news if it wasn't.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

DirkG wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
I perceived it as being about the nature of the working collaboration and in no way to be about the tone of the content.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

eyeboogers wrote:
DirkG wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
I perceived it as being about the nature of the working collaboration and in no way to be about the tone of the content.
Same.
I'll see you in the trees
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

eyeboogers wrote:
DirkG wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
That's what I think is most likely too as being the context of Kyle's 'lightness' statement.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly