Suggestion regarding the off-topic section

Details of site updates and a place to add feedback

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Suggestion regarding the off-topic section

Post by Rainwater »

I notice that Hap's Diner is largely ignored, even though off-topic sub-forums tend to be very popular on boards like this. Maybe moving it to the top of the page might bring it some attention and help shift a lot of the OT discussion from the Twin Peaks forum. Just a thought.
I'll see you in the trees
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Re: Suggestion regarding the off-topic section

Post by Rainwater »

Also, may I suggest some sort of enforcement for unique usernames?
There are already several little men from Another Place, there were two of MT Wentz online just now, several Woodsmen, not to mention plenty of owls, all the endless variations on Dale Cooper and so on. It might get pretty ridiculous, as the new series approaches and the user-base keeps growing rapidly.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Rainwater wrote:I notice that Hap's Diner is largely ignored, even though off-topic sub-forums tend to be very popular on boards like this. Maybe moving it to the top of the page might bring it some attention and help shift a lot of the OT discussion from the Twin Peaks forum. Just a thought.
I did some shuffling of the forums to have the non Twin Peaks forums rolled up which as a result brings the Off Topic higher.

Perhaps that will help.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Rainwater wrote:Also, may I suggest some sort of enforcement for unique usernames?
There are already several little men from Another Place, there were two of MT Wentz online just now, several Woodsmen, not to mention plenty of owls, all the endless variations on Dale Cooper and so on. It might get pretty ridiculous, as the new series approaches and the user-base keeps growing rapidly.
I would do this if there was an available plugin however I'm unable to find one.

Technically, the board already protects against unique names however the database sees dugpa and dugpa_ as two unique names.

The only way without writing an algorithm to validate similarity would be to manually call out each person that selects a name that is similar to an already existing name. Unfortunately manual is too time consuming and I barely have time to help people with login issues.

I do like the idea but unless I find time to write the algorithm, or someone creates a board username similarity plugin I don't see this happening any time soon.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize you handle all the user activation yourself, figured the mods were doing that as well.
Maybe put a little note on the registration page that encourages originality when picking a username?
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Good idea. Will see what I can do.