Your ideal Twin Peaks videogame

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Re: Your ideal Twin Peaks videogame

Post by kitty666cats »

A point n click adventure in the style of late 80s/early 90s Lucasarts would be perfect. I'm shocked one didn't get made at the time when Twin Peaks was new.

Anyone here ever seen the Twin Peaks reference from the Maniac Mansion TV show? It used to be on Youtube, but was unfortunately taken down a few years ago. Some of the Maniac Mansion creators are making a point n click that is somewhat of an homage to both TP and Maniac Mansion, anyone here aware of said game?

Thimbleweed Park.

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/inspirati ... ks-satire/

ALSO:

Is anyone here aware of the Blade Runner point n click adventure game that came out in the mid to late 90s? It looks really good, I should find a way to get it runnin' on DOSBox or something, one of these days...
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

Came here to mention Thimbleweed Park, I think point 'n click is the best way to adapt most franchises even if it is a parody. I am very eager to play it when it gets released.

I am pretty sure that if you want the Blade Runner video game you can find an automatic installer with a google search, after all it is an abandonware video game so it is very likely. I can't tell you if this game is any good since i didn't play it though.

Though, I think there could be a small horror game based on the black lodge (about the size of those Slenderman, FNAF sort of game)
BigAlLogan

Post by BigAlLogan »

A LEGO David Lynch game would be interesting. I would like to explore the Black Lodge as the Mystery Man.
cart

Post by cart »

An immersive VR experience where you can explore the town, the surroundings and interact with the characters - stumble on new clues and experience and explore as much as possible.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Soolsma wrote:Anyone ever played L.A. noire? It's a story driven, open world, action adventure game with lots of crime scene investigation, interrogations and other detective work, all in a film noire style.

Set something like that in Twin Peaks and add some surreal elements.
Thats one good game!Experiencing Twin Peaks like that would be amazing!
Highllama

Post by Highllama »

High, y'all! :) First thing that came to mind was playing football with Nadine throwing guys around- :mrgreen: BUT i can really see TP as a "Myst" type game, (or "Riven" its sequel) atmospheric and mysterious puzzles :D with great music!
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

A lot of good suggestions, I think the adventure game style (TellTale or point n click) is probably the best fit, followed by the more action/adventure style found in Quantic Dream games. I hadn't seen the updates on Thimbleweed Park in ages! It looks great, I think that would work really well for a Twin Peaks game.
Jacoby

Post by Jacoby »

A Twin Peaks game done by the people behind "Kentucky Route Zero" would be absolutely killer. It's a point and click game, but it is just oozing with atmosphere and mystery. Its an interesting change of pace too, because instead of doing things like searching for items to combine or keys or stuff like that, you are like... writing the characters' personalities, thoughts, histories, etc while the game mystery and surreal images play out. Its very hard to describe.

From it's wikipedia page:
"In the early stages of development the developers were influenced by the works of Gabriel García Márquez, Flannery O'Connor and David Lynch.[3] They also looked at theatre scripts for inspiration, which later helped in characterisation, dialogue, environment design and treatment of space, lighting and movement."

It feels VERY Lynchian, but almost as though instead of drawing on the mystery vibe of the pacific northwest, its drawing on Kentucky. Its also very Lynch inspired without all the winking and nodding towards him that so many other games do. It more references the dread via mystery vibe.

Edit: Here's the first non-Gamestop review I found on youtube, and its pretty spot on : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM6FaItcZTw
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Jacoby wrote:A Twin Peaks game done by the people behind "Kentucky Route Zero" would be absolutely killer. It's a point and click game, but it is just oozing with atmosphere and mystery. Its an interesting change of pace too, because instead of doing things like searching for items to combine or keys or stuff like that, you are like... writing the characters' personalities, thoughts, histories, etc while the game mystery and surreal images play out. Its very hard to describe.

From it's wikipedia page:
"In the early stages of development the developers were influenced by the works of Gabriel García Márquez, Flannery O'Connor and David Lynch.[3] They also looked at theatre scripts for inspiration, which later helped in characterisation, dialogue, environment design and treatment of space, lighting and movement."

It feels VERY Lynchian, but almost as though instead of drawing on the mystery vibe of the pacific northwest, its drawing on Kentucky. Its also very Lynch inspired without all the winking and nodding towards him that so many other games do. It more references the dread via mystery vibe.
Yes!! I recently came across an interview where cardboardcompy mention the kind of influence they got from Lynch and
Tamas and I are always talking about David Lynch, and he’s a huge influence on us as far as tone. One thing about Lynch is the pacing of his stuff. It’s very slow.
...yeah I can see it :lol:
(that said, I'm still convinced that the big angry owl mentioned in Act I is a reference)
A great feature of KR0 that imho would work perfectly with Peaks is that its dialogue choices, which influence the characters' pasts/personalities rather than the plot's progression, negate the existence of a 'real' 'canon' version of the events. It's fluid, unstable and valid all at once and imho that makes it a perfect fit.

Reddit recently had a similar thread, I tried to summarize my ruminations there, here's a c/p:

I think interactive virtual spaces would go with Lynch like white on rice, too bad the man himself doesn't seem interested :c I'm picturing experimental exploration of some sort... a subversion of the Myst-like, if you will. Spacial storytelling, but the resulting narrative doesn't add up. You investigate a case, but the game registers the clues you find and morphs other connected items/events so that no matter how deep you dig, you'll never be able to put the whole picture together.
I'd drop combat altogether. Dialogue is another big question mark that may jeopardise immersion. The easy way out would probably be the Cyan way - structure dialogue so that the player's answers don't matter. For example, most dialogue could be Lodge spirits spouting non sequiturs at you. The literate way out would be the cardboardcomputer way... I'd be down with a Kentucky Route Zero-like branching system!
And theeen I guess Antichamber's experiments with shifting geography and/or 30FoL/Virginia's attempts to introduce the cinematic scene cut in gaming could come in useful too.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Antichamber <3
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Soolsma wrote:Antichamber <3
Antichamber! :D have you seen the upcoming Manifold Garden? Looks like Antichamber on tranquilizers but it's close enough to pique my interest...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

laughingpinecone wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Antichamber <3
Antichamber! :D have you seen the upcoming Manifold Garden? Looks like Antichamber on tranquilizers but it's close enough to pique my interest...
Looks as if it's an add-on for antichamber. Will check out. thanks :)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

I think horror games are the best suited for a Lynchian feel since they can drop a few clues but don't have to and should not try to explain everything.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

An adventure game with anti-game elements. Rock the game world like the show rocks the cinematic world.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Did you guys play Gone Home a few years back? You basically explore this big empty house in the middle of the woods at night during a thunderstorm, and your family is supposed to be there, but they're all missing. It was good.

I think a Peaks game in a similar vein would really work: Atmospheric, exploration-heavy, and some of those anti-game elements that have been mentioned. I suppose Heavy Rain falls into this category as well, though I've come to really grow tired of quick time events and all the rest. I'd like to see a Peaks game be experimental and do weird stuff and disregard whatever templates have been laid out.

It should be one of those games that makes some people go "Is this really a game?" It might be divisive, but those are the sort of games I gravitate toward anyway.

I'm skeptical about VR, but I do think Peaks would be a good fit. One of my dreams (nightmares?) has always been to just wander the Red Room/Black Lodge solo. This, combined with the atmospheric, anti-game exploration — I hate the term "immersive experience," though I suppose that's what it is — would be my ideal situation.