Twin Peaks Character Series - 82 entries, runs thru 5/19

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Twin Peaks Character Series - 82 entries, runs thru 5/19

Post by LostInTheMovies »

I just launched what will be one of my blog's biggest Twin Peaks endeavors: a series covering every single character who speaks dialogue in at least three scenes. I'll update this thread every week rather than every day so as not to clog it too much, adding the five most recent posts (they will be going up M-F morning every week until the new series premieres).

Here's what I've got so far:

Introducing the TWIN PEAKS Character Series

(Very) Minor but (Somewhat) Notable Characters (1st Prelude)

Top 30 "Hidden" Characters (2nd Prelude)

Julie (#82)

Louie "Birdsong" Budway (#81)

Hope you enjoy.
Last edited by LostInTheMovies on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Character Series - 82 entries, runs thru 5/19

Post by Panapaok »

Great stuff Joel!
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Love it! So the main entries go from least to most screen time?
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

This is very cool!
"Your log and I are on the same page."
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Dalai Cooper wrote:Love it! So the main entries go from least to most screen time?
Yes - roughly; it's largely by screentime of scenes they're in since I didn't stopwatch cutaways haha. But pretty closely accurate.

A few exceptions: some characters who aren't really part of the proper human cast will be grouped together (Invitation to Love, the Spirit World - which will be a massive entry). And Laura's screentime was basically compiled from two halves: her onscreen duration (mostly thanks to FWWM) and when she is the focus of dialogue or action in a scene even after she's dead (since so much more of her characterization takes place that way than any other character).
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

Hello, thank you for your work. I am looking forward to reading your entries everyday while waiting for the upcoming series.

I was wondering what was the source for Mr Neff's firstname (Herbert apparently) ?

The episode itself does not give it, the script calls him Mr Bell and the name of the character is not in the credits. I know that IMDB uses Walter Neff, like in the movie, but that's not an actual source.

Is it the Laserdisc's jacket? I think that they use Herbert but they must taken it from somewhere else.

BTW, the wrestling coach is actually called Buck Wingate according to episode 19's script.
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

I really like this idea, Lost, and I like looking at the series through such a "micro" perspective as opposed to the more common macro view people take. It somehow renews my appreciation for the show and film. As with your approach to the series as a whole, in your video series, it makes me want to immerse myself in that world again and re-watch it all like few things do. So, kudos. And BTW, if there's a book to be written about FWWM, or even another just about the series, I think you should be the one to write it.
teddyleevin
Roadhouse Member

Post by teddyleevin »

Wonderful. Just the resource I was looking for. Only just watched your YouTube series last night and glad to see that your TP content won't stop anytime soon. Thanks for being so thorough.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

CuriousWoman wrote:Hello, thank you for your work. I am looking forward to reading your entries everyday while waiting for the upcoming series.

I was wondering what was the source for Mr Neff's firstname (Herbert apparently) ?

The episode itself does not give it, the script calls him Mr Bell and the name of the character is not in the credits. I know that IMDB uses Walter Neff, like in the movie, but that's not an actual source.

Is it the Laserdisc's jacket? I think that they use Herbert but they must taken it from somewhere else.

BTW, the wrestling coach is actually called Buck Wingate according to episode 19's script.
I think the script calls him "Herbert Bell" so I kept the first-name while switching the last to what it is in the episode, and then did a Google on that and found some other sources used that name as well so I went with it! But to be strict about it, probably safest just to call him Mr. Neff. Thanks for the Coach's name! I'll put it in there.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Thanks for all the enthusiastic comments! Here are my updates for this week:

Trudy Chelgren (#80)

Randy St. Croix (#79)

Heidi (#78)

Nancy O'Reilly (#77)

"Little Nicky" Needleman (#76)
Last edited by LostInTheMovies on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

This is so much fun! ...and you're dragging me back into this world in preparation.

Also, not sure if you want to add it... But Nancy is in the script for episode nine, possibly eight (my memory is foggy). It seems like the character is completely changed for her introduction in episode ten. Audrey buddies up to her while reading the morning newspaper. Audrey spies the mill fire and notes it, and casually asks about Ronnette. Nancy pals around with her, but as soon as Audrey leaves, Nancy Drops the act who... "Whatever you say, Miss Horne."

And I love Trudy. She had a last name... Wow, my Peaks knowledge is really slipping.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

Trudy Chelgren also was in the access guide to Twin Peaks, in the Great Northern section: she was the employee of the year and was in one of Twin Peaks' club or something.

There are other minor characters in the Access Guide. I remember that Toad's fullname was given on the football team page (there probably are some other hidden characters on this section), and I remember that we finally see Tim Pickle's blind brother from Tim and Tom's taxidermy in one big picture.

There might be a few others easter eggs, but I have not spotted them.

I also noticed that you did not put the names of the Buenos Aires employees from the Missing Pieces but all three of them, plus the tango dancers, are credited. Though I have not found the name of the FBI guard.

A character that I have difficulties finding information about is Nurse Greta: she is on the IMDB pages of episodes 0 and 1 as an uncredited character.
But I don't her name was never uttered or written in the scripts of this episodes and I don't think that we see Johnny's nurse in episode 1. Are we sure that Greta (if that character actually exists) is Johnny's nurse? Maybe she is the woman with Sarah Palmer?
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

If I recall, there is a cut scene from the pilot with Greta. She was Johnny's nurse.
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

Thank you for your answer.

Sadly, after checking the released deleted scenes, ie those from the Gold Box set and Entire Mystery, I didn't notice any mention of Greta. I searched this name on the "deleted scenes" discussion of this forum but did not find any mention of her.

Surely, the IMDB credits originate from somewhere. Maybe an unscripted scene that was found back by fans but not officially released ? I did not find a reference to this character on the twinpeaksarchive website, though.

This is quite puzzling.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I think the Carl Rodd entry is my favorite one yet. Your affection for the character definitely comes through in a very worthy tribute. These are terrific; really looking forward to the big guns!