Introductions

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
brokentiny
Roadhouse Member

Post by brokentiny »

Hi all,
Just joined. From Hobart, Australia. Ever since "The Elephant Man", I knew Lynch was a one of a kind filmmaker and artist. I'm in the arts and he is one of my greatest influences and inspirations.
B.T
There is something important to be said
GORDON COLE ! ! ! !

Post by GORDON COLE ! ! ! ! »

Hello everyone my name is James.I live here in Hebden Bridge-an alternative town in West Yorkshire.I wear 2 hearing aids.My parents are deaf.Thus my username...I,ve been a fan of David Lynch involuntarily since 1987.I like most of his stuff.I thought his character in Twin Peaks was incredibly hilarious...but I,m not sure if other hearing-afflicted people would agree!!!
...YOU BREAK AN EGG ON IT,SHE,S MY MOTHERS SISTERS GIRL.OREGON!!!ITS A BEAUTIFUL WEAPON,COOP,ACTS LIKE HE,S NEVER SEEN A KISS BEFORE...
vlucca

lynch fan (and grad student) looking for interviews

Post by vlucca »

Hi, I guess my first venture into Lynchland was when I was fifteen and saw Mulholland Drive in the theater. Needless to say, as someone who had only recently become interested in film, I had mixed feelings about it. What really got me into him was watching Blue Velvet for the first time with a group of people. It was great because I'd never seen that group of friends so focused on anything. I quickly devoured the rest of the canon after that evening...

So, I've been an avid reader of dugpa for a while. Now, I'm a grad student at NYU looking for interviews for a paper I'm writing about the exhibition/reception/advertising strategy of Eraserhead during its original run. If you saw Eraserhead between '77-'80 in the theater, please, please, please PM me!
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I guess I should have posted here a long time ago. Anyway:

My name is Even (pronounced "Evan" or thereabouts). From Oslo, Norway. Saw Lost Highway several times in the cinema as a teen and never recovered. Then Blue Velvet, Eraserhead, Hotel Room, Twin Peaks, The Straight Story and Mulholland drive (in that order) all had the same effect. For me, Lynch is only one of the greats, along with Herzog, Godard, Altman, and others, but he's somehow more fun to discuss, that's why I'm here at this nice place. And the fun people here makes me come back. Again and again.

Thanks to Dugpa (and Annie) for having us here!
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

Welcome (so to speak) aboard, Godard, Altman and Herzog, I must say I share your tastes completely.
gstueve
Roadhouse Member

Post by gstueve »

Hi my name is Gerry Stueve and I'm a 31 going on 32 (Jan 20th) year old man from the lovely state of Iowa. I remember when Twin Peaks came on TV back in 89 (I think) and after watching the 1st 30 minutes I was hooked. It was the only David Lynch film I ever seen at the time but as I got older I did watch more of his movies and yes I find some strange and weird but thats ok in my book.

This year has been great for me, especially Christmas. I was pretty pump up jones when I got the Golden Box set and the 2nd season soundtrack under the tree this year. I've watch all of the goodies on the box set but haven't sat down and watch the series yet. I will save that for my vacation (which is 4 days away) so I can have a Twin Peaks Marathon.

O ya I did get the post cards too, 2,6,7,8,9,13,34,37,50,51,55,61 :D
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Wow, welcome Gerry! You have the same birthday as Mr. Lynch! :lol:
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Daniel Knox

Post by Daniel Knox »

My name is Daniel. I live in Chicago but grew up in Springfield, IL.

My introduction to Lynch was the FWWM soundtrack cassette tape which I took with me on a trip to Wisconsin with my parents at age 13. That was about the time they were airing TP on Bravo so I was able to catch it.

Now I'm a projectionist at a movie theatre (http://www.musicboxtheatre.com) where I was able to meet Lynch last year, while serving as both projectionist, and opening musical act for the Chicago premiere of INLAND EMPIRE. I played for both shows and went upstairs to project the last one, and had dinner with Lynch and some others after the show. There's video of it on DL.com as well as here:

http://www.youtube.com/dkvideo

I'm a huge Lynch fan and have a huge collection of Lynch films, merchendise and books.

I really love dugpa.com for all the information it provides and all the really terrific people I've met through here.

Oh, and I've seen Inland Empire over 10 times. Not counting the times I projected it and saw it out of sequence.
Daniel Knox

Post by Daniel Knox »

BLPCfan754

new to the board

Post by BLPCfan754 »

I'm selma and have been a fan of Twin Peaks since it first aired.
I recently bought the box set/FWWM/Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive.
David is such an interesting writer and creator. I love his movies.
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

Hi,I'm named George.
I was introduced to the seductive world of DL when i was 15,seeing Blue Velvet on public TV and being mesmerized.Since then,i've watched all DL related material and read numerous interviews.Now i'm 18,studying Marketing in England and i want desperately to attend the TP festival.
Last edited by Pete Martell on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Hello everybody. At first I've to admit that my english isn't the best so please excuse my lack of English knowledge especially my grammer is really horrible at times. So I hope you'll understand most of the things that I'm trying to say. My name is Marlon I'm already 27 years old and I live in germany. I've been a fan of David Lynch since the early nineties. My favorite movies of Mr. Lynch are Blue velvet, Lost highway and Fire walk with me but I love nearly all of his films except Dune (probably due to the fact that I'm not really a huge fan of science fiction films). I'll reveal one more thing that'll probably shock most of the diehard Twin peaks fans on this forum. Even though I've been a very huge fan of Lynchs movies for over fifteen years I had never watched a full episode of Twin peaks until I purchased the Twin peaks definitive gold box edition last november. It might sound strange to most of the fans of the series but I guess the reason that it took me so long to finally watch it is that I'm not really into watching Tv series. Recently I finished watching the whole Twin peaks edition plus the Fire walk with me movie and now I'm also obsessed with the whole world of Twin peaks.
mike retter

Re: Introductions

Post by mike retter »

Hello my name is Mike. I have British parents and was brought up with a lot of British TV. I am an artist and usually do paintings. I like Lynch because of his paining background. Francis Bacon, David Lynch, JG Ballard, Joy Div, Birthday Party, Nick Cave, ABC, PBS, CBS, SBS and BBC are big influences on me at different stages in my life. Favourite Lynch film is Eraserhead but TP-FWWM was the hugest influence when younger, I loved it so much....

Mike Retter
http://mikeretter.tripod.com
RStandfest
Roadhouse Member

Post by RStandfest »

Hello. I am an artist living and working (teaching) in Detroit, Michigan. I have been a frequent visitor to the Dugpa site and discussion board for some time. My interest in Lynch is primarily as an artist, with a strong desire to see more of his work in mediums outside of cinema, such as painting, sculpture, printmaking. I am quite fond of his work across a spectrum of media, and my entry into his world was indeed through that of moving images. However, it is his more personal relationship with the private act of non-moving image-making in the aforementioned forms, that I am particularly keen on exploring more of. Although The Air Is On Fire had much to celebrate in the revealing of these other Lynchian worlds, I believe there is much more of his output in these realms that remains to be seen and enjoyed. My hope in joining the board is to perhaps locate others who are equally curious in this regard, and who may help me track down many images hitherto unseen. At the same time, I would enjoy joining the ongoing conversation regarding his iconoclastic cinema output.

Cheers,
Bown

Post by Bown »

Go on, then.

I'm Tom, an 18 year old soon-to-be-University student, studying Media Production in my home town of Lincoln, in the East Midlands of England.

I've been an avid film fan for many years, but never got into Lynch until one of my good friends started watching his films and gushing about how great they were. I decided "let's throw myself in at the deep end!" at the start of this year and watched Eraserhead, which I enjoyed, but not very much. I then moved on to Blue Velvet, which I absolutely loved and which convinced me to buy Mulholland Drive - my current favourite movie of all time. Since then, I've watched plenty more, and plan on owning as much Lynch stuff as I can, which has so far included buying the Twin Peaks Gold Set from Australia (I watched everything on the gold set and the FWWM DVD over a five-day period - my second favourite TV show ever behind Arrested Development).

What I think attracts me to Lynch is the beauty his films have - there have been many times where emotion has just swelled up in me and I've almost cried, such as Club Silencio, and the end of Inland Empire. Also, the eventual revelation of the killer in Twin Peaks brought up the biggest emotional response I've ever had from a piece of media; I felt completely emotionally drained, and even sick, for the rest of the day.

Eventually meeting Lynch is one of my goals in life, as well as travelling the Atlantic to go to one of the Twin Peaks festivals.