The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Re: SPOILERS: The Secret History of Twin Peaks

Post by kitty666cats »

mtwentz wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:Has anyone compiled a comprehensive list of who does what voices for the audiobook? I know Amy Shiels did a voice for the book. I have a theory that, if she does the voice for young Norma, perhaps that could mean she plays a possible daughter of Ed and Norma in the new season! :o

I forget who else slated to be in S3 does voices in the audiobook. Robert Knepper, I think?
I thought it was already determined there was no correlation between the reading of characters in the book and who the actor might play in the series.
I hadn't heard that, but it doesn't surprise me at all
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

kitty666cats wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:Has anyone compiled a comprehensive list of who does what voices for the audiobook? I know Amy Shiels did a voice for the book. I have a theory that, if she does the voice for young Norma, perhaps that could mean she plays a possible daughter of Ed and Norma in the new season! :o

I forget who else slated to be in S3 does voices in the audiobook. Robert Knepper, I think?
I thought it was already determined there was no correlation between the reading of characters in the book and who the actor might play in the series.
Yeah and I am trying to remember where I heard it myself but I could swear it was discussed on this board and the consensus was the new actors like Morrison and Shiels were not voicing their characters in the series.

F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Yeah and I am trying to remember where I heard it myself but I could swear it was discussed on this board and the consensus was the new actors like Morrison and Shiels were not voicing their characters in the series.

All I've heard is Frost saying at various signings and interviews that there is not NECESSARILY a correlation -- e.g., Shiels may play Preston on the audiobook and play a totally different character on the show. But I don't recall any definitive statement that there is NO overlap between actor roles in the audiobook and the series.
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

Who does David Patrick Kelly voice? I did some quick Googling and I heard he does Gordon Cole's voice, but I'm not quite convinced that is the case!
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

I finished the book last weekend and really enjoyed it. Mark is a great storyteller. Loved the historical tie-ins, which led to many-a-Wikipedia binge. May or may not be more of a UFO conspiracist now.

Some questions (and apologies, I haven't read the entire thread yet):

- Any ideas of what the "silent man" and "walking owl" could be referencing? BOB? These definitely creeped me out.

- So the consensus is Annie has been written out of the story? Mark's cryptic responses to fans hint at a grand plan behind the inconsistencies for the TV series, but some of these changes (or mistakes) really broke the illusion for me. I know that it costs a couple extra grand to hire a fact-checker to work on a book. Unlike a lot of magazines, most book publishers don't require fact-checking, as far as I know, and I think this is a case that could've benefited from it.

- Hawk's tone in his portion read to me as kinda, well, douchey. And kinda anachronistic? I was alive in the '80s, but not old enough to remember if "nookie" was slang back then? I dunno, a minor thing, but something I noticed.

- Relatedly: Those diner prices were super high in that menu for the late '80s. That menu was from the '80s, right? And another fact thing, that I know was touched on already... but Twin Peaks is most definitely set in northeastern Washington, not the northwest. I'm rewatching the show and there are repeated references to being close to the eastern state line, how James went two hours west when he skipped town, etc.

- Did we figure out what that list of agents was referring to? (The one Tamara says isn't a good list to be on, and that Gordon and Albert are still alive, or some such.)

Overall, the book is great fun, and beautiful to hold and look at. I really liked Tamara's tone and vibe, as well. Definitely got me in the mood for the new series in May.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

ThumbsUp wrote: - Hawk's tone in his portion read to me as kinda, well, douchey. And kinda anachronistic? I was alive in the '80s, but not old enough to remember if "nookie" was slang back then? I dunno, a minor thing, but something I noticed.
I don't know if this helps, but I remember seeing an episode of The Golden Girls where Bea Arthur used "nookie" in a sentence. It took place around the same time as Twin Peaks.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Cappy wrote:
ThumbsUp wrote: - Hawk's tone in his portion read to me as kinda, well, douchey. And kinda anachronistic? I was alive in the '80s, but not old enough to remember if "nookie" was slang back then? I dunno, a minor thing, but something I noticed.
I don't know if this helps, but I remember seeing an episode of The Golden Girls where Bea Arthur used "nookie" in a sentence. It took place around the same time as Twin Peaks.
Ha! Good enough for me.
^◊^

Post by ^◊^ »

ThumbsUp wrote:
Cappy wrote:
Ha! Good enough for me.
nookie (n.) - "sexual activity," 1928, perhaps from Dutch neuken "to copulate with."
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

ThumbsUp wrote:- Hawk's tone in his portion read to me as kinda, well, douchey. And kinda anachronistic? I was alive in the '80s, but not old enough to remember if "nookie" was slang back then? I dunno, a minor thing, but something I noticed.
The Hawk in TSHOTP didn't really read like the Hawk that we know and love. He was cursin' like a sailor and seemed to be harboring a lot of hidden resentment! I suppose we never really delve into his personal life into the show, however (besides knowing that he's got a girlfriend with a PhD from Brandeis, a university I drive by every Monday at work!)...
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Ha, I didn't mind Hawk in the book. It didn't seem too mean-spirited, more along the lines of playful and teasing to me. We are used to seeing him in a professional setting so for him to be a little rowdier in a different context doesn't seem incongruous.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Snailhead wrote:Ha, I didn't mind Hawk in the book. It didn't seem too mean-spirited, more along the lines of playful and teasing to me. We are used to seeing him in a professional setting so for him to be a little rowdier in a different context doesn't seem incongruous.
It was mostly the context itself that weirded me out. It felt strangely invasive of a thing to write and then leave in the bookhouse (I get this is where suspension of disbelief comes into play though).

I think swearing in general just left me a little shell shocked, just because most of these characters we've never seen swear, due to the original show being a network series (I can't even remember how much language there was in Fire Walk With Me, but, I imagine none in the deleted scenes of Truman + Co., so it probably just feels especially strange as they're presented as very .. milquetoast in that regard).

(I have no qualms at all if they curse like hell in the new season, I've never had a problem with that, it just felt a little jarring given how succinctly Hawk talks in the series)
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Bobby was quite the sailor in Fire Walk With Me.

There is going to be plenty of cussing in the new season for sure.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
flootures

Post by flootures »

So what's the true deal with this "alternate universe" inconsistency stuff. They said it about FWWM, and they're saying it about the book too. What does that mean? Just that they're somehow mangling the timeline in the Lodges?
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

You're referring to lynch telling someone on the production "think of [fwwm] like an alternate universe" or similar right? I think that's a good lens through which to view the film and its relationship to the series but I wouldn't necessarily take it super literally
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

flootures wrote:So what's the true deal with this "alternate universe" inconsistency stuff. They said it about FWWM, and they're saying it about the book too. What does that mean? Just that they're somehow mangling the timeline in the Lodges?
I really think the inconsistencies in the book were unintentional, and aren't setting the stage for an alternate universe in season three. But, who knows what'll happen.