NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by The Jumping Man »

Maybe Lynch is still too busy with post-production tinkering, but it seems to me they could do some creative things without giving away anything. Have a promo with the Giant saying "I will tell you three things about the new Twin Peaks" and give us some cryptic clues. That would be fun.

Anyway, we're still more than two months out. We'll probably start seeing more promotion by early April.
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

The Jumping Man wrote:Maybe Lynch is still too busy with post-production tinkering, but it seems to me they could do some creative things without giving away anything. Have a promo with the Giant saying "I will tell you three things about the new Twin Peaks" and give us some cryptic clues. That would be fun.

Anyway, we're still more than two months out. We'll probably start seeing more promotion by early April.
That would be awesome.

I don't want traditional trailers, just give us some cryptic and mysterious clues so fans can have something to think about. They wouldn't spoil anything but would still please the fans.
The cow jumped over the moon.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

The Jumping Man wrote:Maybe Lynch is still too busy with post-production tinkering, but it seems to me they could do some creative things without giving away anything. Have a promo with the Giant saying "I will tell you three things about the new Twin Peaks" and give us some cryptic clues. That would be fun.
HEAR, HEAR! :)
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I am not an expert on this type of marketing- how many weeks in advance do marketing campaigns for new cable shows usually ramp up? Seems I don't really notice any ramp up to a new network show or series until it's about a month or less away.

And you can do a detailed trailer without giving any major plot points away. From the Force Awakens trailer, I had no idea they were going to basically recycle the entire plot of A New Hope.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Maybe Lynch is still too busy with post-production tinkering, but it seems to me they could do some creative things without giving away anything. Have a promo with the Giant saying "I will tell you three things about the new Twin Peaks" and give us some cryptic clues. That would be fun.
Certainly sounds corny enough to fit the lineage of twin peaks promo spots!
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

How about an Andy and Lucy promo? Most of their stuff is peripheral to the main plot anyway.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

They can easily create as many trailers as they want and still don't give anything away. When you have 18 hours of footage, you can do pretty much anything. But yeah, maybe it's still a bit early. I guess they might want to wait for the last few weeks before they go full speed ahead.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I just hope they promote it- in whatever way that ends up being. Not for fans, but just to promote that the show is back on, and get it out in the mainstream. They need to get the word out. They can do some really creative stuff without showing ANY footage if that's what they really want to do. They can shoot promos with Lucy or the Giant just for promos. But forgoing major promotion benefits no one.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Ross wrote:I just hope they promote it- in whatever way that ends up being. Not for fans, but just to promote that the show is back on, and get it out in the mainstream. They need to get the word out. They can do some really creative stuff without showing ANY footage if that's what they really want to do. They can shoot promos with Lucy or the Giant just for promos. But forgoing major promotion benefits no one.
it's always a possibility that everything exclusively promotional has been shot already, and now that the series proper is essentially done with final tinkering, preview editing would be taking place now. They're not letting everything out of the bag because there's probably very little, and it will be shown closer to the premiere. I'm figuring April is when advertising will really ramp up with an extra edge on "heaps of typical clear footage is not being previewed because we don't want to spoil anything" Which, to me, is the different form of advertising they've been teasing and I really do feel would be beneficial rather than detrimental. It's a way to build hype and get some heads turning for sure imo!
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Yeah, I don't really care about promos to be honest because no matter what they won't impact the show itself, for better or worse (assuming there are no spoilers in the trailer).

I'm OK with not loving all the promos, because either way I think it's getting exposure, and that's exciting. I don't know if the audience will be huge, but very steadily tuning in (again, assuming the quality is as good as we think it might be).
vanderohe

Post by vanderohe »

Ross wrote:I just hope they promote it- in whatever way that ends up being. Not for fans, but just to promote that the show is back on, and get it out in the mainstream. They need to get the word out.
im just curious - can you give arguments why you think this is necessary?
I think it is imperative only if you wish for high rates and possible follow up seasons.
>>>>two and two do not always equal four >>>>
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Vanderohe - that depends on what you'd consider to be high ratings and how they measure that now. Once the show is up and running it will gather its own steam. Potential continuations have been given the okay, IF this is successful. But obviously they're not going to be thinking about more seasons at this stage.

We have no clue what is considered a good rating for a tv show on Showtime these days, or how that works in terms of international viewing figures. This fairly secretive marketing approach will probably work better in the long-term than lots of publicity.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

NormoftheAndes wrote: This fairly secretive marketing approach will probably work better in the long-term than lots of publicity.
And this being why?
mine
Roadhouse Member

Post by mine »

NormoftheAndes wrote:Vanderohe - that depends on what you'd consider to be high ratings and how they measure that now. Once the show is up and running it will gather its own steam. Potential continuations have been given the okay, IF this is successful. But obviously they're not going to be thinking about more seasons at this stage.

We have no clue what is considered a good rating for a tv show on Showtime these days, or how that works in terms of international viewing figures. This fairly secretive marketing approach will probably work better in the long-term than lots of publicity.
Live ratings for cable are irrelevant compared to their importance on network tv because of revenue that comes from commercials. Essentially what matters the most on network is how many people saw the commercials not the shows themselves so they measure the l+sd and c+3/7 ratings. With subscription based cable with no commercials that off course wouldn't work. I presume with cable, besides the increase in subscriptions, streaming/on-demand counts more for them than it does to network tv.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

vanderohe wrote:
Ross wrote:I just hope they promote it- in whatever way that ends up being. Not for fans, but just to promote that the show is back on, and get it out in the mainstream. They need to get the word out.
im just curious - can you give arguments why you think this is necessary?
I think it is imperative only if you wish for high rates and possible follow up seasons.
Because Twin Peaks is awesome. People just gotta know. I can barely shut up about it myself. :D

But..... I'm fairly certain it will be in full attention, enough promotion or not. The most terrible shows end up in the most-watched lists, even if just for a while.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."