NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by krishnanspace »

Soolsma wrote:
vanderohe wrote:
Ross wrote:I just hope they promote it- in whatever way that ends up being. Not for fans, but just to promote that the show is back on, and get it out in the mainstream. They need to get the word out.
im just curious - can you give arguments why you think this is necessary?
I think it is imperative only if you wish for high rates and possible follow up seasons.
Because Twin Peaks is awesome. People just gotta know. I can barely shut up about it myself.
Same here!!I think showtime should pay me cause i have got more 20 people to watch it and promoted it the hell out on reddit :D
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

20 people is a lot. I've restrained myself from constantly getting people to watch the weird stuff I'm into. Most people just don't want to learn.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

mine wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote:Vanderohe - that depends on what you'd consider to be high ratings and how they measure that now. Once the show is up and running it will gather its own steam. Potential continuations have been given the okay, IF this is successful. But obviously they're not going to be thinking about more seasons at this stage.

We have no clue what is considered a good rating for a tv show on Showtime these days, or how that works in terms of international viewing figures. This fairly secretive marketing approach will probably work better in the long-term than lots of publicity.
Live ratings for cable are irrelevant compared to their importance on network tv because of revenue that comes from commercials. Essentially what matters the most on network is how many people saw the commercials not the shows themselves so they measure the l+sd and c+3/7 ratings. With subscription based cable with no commercials that off course wouldn't work. I presume with cable, besides the increase in subscriptions, streaming/on-demand counts more for them than it does to network tv.
I guess the best way to 'rate' the new Twin Peaks will be to see how it affects social media. Right now, it looks pretty minimal- but that's OK, because it's still too far away in most people's minds.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
freeek
Roadhouse Member

Post by freeek »

Gabriel wrote:I guess none of us will know how we feel until we've seen season three. Inevitably, among the fans, some will love it, some will hate it and some will be indifferent. It's a rule of any show/franchise that each entry will gain it some new fans, maintain others and drive some away. Put it this way: I used to love Doctor Who. I watched all of the 'classic' series, I devoured the novels and any other spin-offs. Then the new show turned up in 2005 and I hated it. Not only did I hate the new show, but it tainted the old show for me. I now almost never watch it, I gave up buying the DVDs and give it no thought anymore. Fire Walk With Me already did all the above to fans of the show. I loved FWWM, so I'm hoping to love the new series, but I'm also prepared to hate the new show and be put off all of Twin Peaks forever. Such is life.
Yeah that's inevitable.

Personally, I have no interest in seeing Lynch doing a third season the way the TP-era Lynch could have done it. What I want is for Lynch to rearrange the myth. I want the Lost Highway-era Lynch, the Mulhollad Drive-era Lynch to turn it into something entirely new and unexpected. And I understand some hardcore TP fans would be disheartened by that. Actually I expect a lot of people calling themselves lifelong fans being horrified by the new season if it's as ghastly dark as insiders make it sound to be.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

freeek wrote:
Gabriel wrote:I guess none of us will know how we feel until we've seen season three. Inevitably, among the fans, some will love it, some will hate it and some will be indifferent. It's a rule of any show/franchise that each entry will gain it some new fans, maintain others and drive some away. Put it this way: I used to love Doctor Who. I watched all of the 'classic' series, I devoured the novels and any other spin-offs. Then the new show turned up in 2005 and I hated it. Not only did I hate the new show, but it tainted the old show for me. I now almost never watch it, I gave up buying the DVDs and give it no thought anymore. Fire Walk With Me already did all the above to fans of the show. I loved FWWM, so I'm hoping to love the new series, but I'm also prepared to hate the new show and be put off all of Twin Peaks forever. Such is life.
Yeah that's inevitable.

Personally, I have no interest in seeing Lynch doing a third season the way the TP-era Lynch could have done it. What I want is for Lynch to rearrange the myth. I want the Lost Highway-era Lynch, the Mulhollad Drive-era Lynch to turn it into something entirely new and unexpected. And I understand some hardcore TP fans would be disheartened by that. Actually I expect a lot of people calling themselves lifelong fans being horrified by the new season if it's as ghastly dark as insiders make it sound to be.
I was just watching Mulholland Drive for the first time in long time, and I really don't find that movie as obscure or abstract as people make it out to be. To me, it's a fairly simple tale of the Hollywood: The Dream vs. the Reality.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

I care not for how much attention the new Peaks generates. To me, this is clearly a love letter for the fans as well as the artistic desire to reach back into that world for Lynch and Frost.

Past that, I don't see how marketing matters to the fan.

Showtime knows what they are getting and they've made it clear that it's closed ended. If it does bad ratings, it does bad ratings. No big to anyone, except maybe the fans who are overly precious about it, and look at FWWM....what did that do to the franchise we love? Destroyed it at the time.

So, be glad we have this coming for us. I don't give a crap who sees it or doesn't. This is for me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Last edited by mtsi on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
We live inside a dream.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

You don't think it matters to Lynch if this is successful? Of course it does. And ratings, viewers, buzz & acclaim are all part of it.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ross wrote:You don't think it matters to Lynch if this is successful? Of course it does. And ratings, viewers, buzz & acclaim are all part of it.
Lynch somewhat reminds me of Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead. Garcia's attitude was, I'll put my stuff out there, if people like it they'll like it'. Garcia didn't even show up to awards ceremonies- it's not what drove him to do what he did. That being said, Lynch will obviously feel hurt if the new show gets rejected in the same way as FWWM .

Showtime, on the other hand, is a different story. They need this to be a really big success, and make Showtime the 'cool' channel to have a subscription to.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
vanderohe

Post by vanderohe »

mtsi wrote:I care not for how much attention the new Peaks generates. To me, this is clearly a love letter for the fans as well as the artistic desire to reach back into that world for Lynch and Frost.

Past that, I don't see how marketing matters to the fan.

Showtime knows what they are getting and they've made it clear that it's closed ended. If it does bad ratings, it does bad ratings. No big to anyone, except maybe the fans who are overly precious about it, and look at FWWM....what did that do to the franchise we love? Destroyed it at the time.

So, be glad we have this coming for us. I don't give a crap who sees it or doesn't. This is for me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Tnx, love you!
>>>>two and two do not always equal four >>>>
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

Ross wrote:You don't think it matters to Lynch if this is successful? Of course it does. And ratings, viewers, buzz & acclaim are all part of it.
I'm not suggesting that but it would only mean something, to him, as an artist. He's created. He's been paid.

Yes, legacy matters but even if this is a failure, which it won't be, his legacy is virtually unparalleled. It'll all be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
vanderohe

Post by vanderohe »

Sure Ross i wish them all economic success.
Although tp is an art product related to all other tv, so mass propaganda doesnt feel adequate.
Maybe i am wrong tho
Edit
If you consider it "pop art"
>>>>two and two do not always equal four >>>>
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

mtsi wrote: So, be glad we have this coming for us. I don't give a crap who sees it or doesn't. This is for me.
Amen brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Agent Earle wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote: This fairly secretive marketing approach will probably work better in the long-term than lots of publicity.
And this being why?
I'm just talking in general, for me personally I'd like to see a 5 minute trailer. But mystery keeps things interesting, I think it keeps the more 'intrigued' audiences out there who aren't intense fans like us hooked.

For instance, look at the FWWM trailer, which showed the entire film - although this is not a movie for theatrical release (per se) - maybe Lynch especially learned from that?
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

freeek wrote:
Gabriel wrote:Personally, I have no interest in seeing Lynch doing a third season the way the TP-era Lynch could have done it. What I want is for Lynch to rearrange the myth. I want the Lost Highway-era Lynch, the Mulhollad Drive-era Lynch to turn it into something entirely new and unexpected.
While I completely agree with the overall sentiment of your post, I'm fairly certain LH and MD-era Lynch is as dead as TP-era Lynch (those movies were 16 and 20 years ago!). Not that this season won't have echoes and elements from his prior major works, but the guy hasn't made a movie in ten years, and has never worked in anything close to this large a sandbox. All I want from this season is for it to be something I never could have predicted.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

mtsi wrote:So, be glad we have this coming for us. I don't give a crap who sees it or doesn't. This is for me.
Although I agree that this is for us fans and I don't care much about the rest, I'd really love this to be successful on all levels. Especially for David and Mark who have put so much effort and love into this and they'd want to get a proper recognition. I never cared that FWWM was panned and I always loved it dearly. I suspect the same will happen with the new series regardless of its reception but it'd be great if it could appeal to as many people as possible.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.