my vision of IE

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

doggod

my vision of IE

Post by doggod »

hi all... I am a new on this board. I come from Poland. Age: 34. I am happy to be a member this discussion board. Sorry for my not perfect English...

I would like to write about a few matters that could point on main situation in IE.

1. A SYMBOL OF "47"

FOUR in German "VIER" (something like "FEAR" in English"). FEAR is the main (there is sex drive too) instinct in LYNCH'S works (according to LYNCH in life generally speaking).
SEVEN is the last day of the week. It ended it. SEVEN=DEATH (but only one period because next one is a new week. Circle of life).
Besides "47" was Nasstasja KINKSI's age in 2006 when IE was presented first time. My opinion: the main character (woman) in IE was 47 old.

2. TIME

Main action in "47" film runs between 21:40 and 0:25. There is suicide (or murder) LOST GIRL. This suicide was shortly before 24:00 hour. Midnight is a symbol of ending life (something like SEVEN for a week).

3. "TIBETAN BOOK OF THE DEAD"

I guess this is a book was footing for LYNCH'S in IE. LOST GIRL/NIKKI/SUE was in IE somewhere in "the chonyid bardo" and "the sidpa bardo"
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Re: my vision of IE

Post by applesnoranges »

doggod wrote:hi all... I am a new on this board. I come from Poland. Age: 34. I am happy to be a member this discussion board. Sorry for my not perfect English...
doggod: I am new here too and sorry that I know no Polish at all! I have a question for you, but first, your points.
FOUR in German "VIER" (something like "FEAR" in English"). FEAR is the main (there is sex drive too) instinct in LYNCH'S works (according to LYNCH in life generally speaking).
Vier and Fear do sound the same, but there is nothing in English that sounds like Sieben.
SEVEN is the last day of the week. It ended it. SEVEN=DEATH (but only one period because next one is a new week. Circle of life).
I don't know enough about that but 7 is one of Lynch's favorite numbers. Numbers in his movies often have digits that add up to 7.
Besides "47" was Nasstasja KINKSI's age in 2006 when IE was presented first time. My opinion: the main character (woman) in IE was 47 old.
She has time so mixed up I don't think we can tell. I think "47" is mainly just a tribute to Kinski's birthday and other things were built around it. IE has been called a birthday present for her.
3. "TIBETAN BOOK OF THE DEAD"

I guess this is a book was footing for LYNCH'S in IE. LOST GIRL/NIKKI/SUE was in IE somewhere in "the chonyid bardo" and "the sidpa bardo"
I don't know the book itself but yes, I think it is somewhere like that where IE takes place. Both Lost Girl and the Dern character at the beginning are aware of Visitor #1, who seems to be speaking to both.

Now my question for you:

Piotrek is listed in the credits as, if I am spelling right, "Piotrek Król". Does that last name rhyme with "Cole" in English? Because (watch this!):

At the séance he is asked if he works for someone. He says, "The one I work for." Then the man says, "So you understand!"

In the movie, Piotrek seems to work for Gordy. Gordy treats him as an employee both at the barbecue in the US and in the woods in Poland. But Gordy is played by Marek Zydowicz (who is also the executive producer in Poland). So Zydowicz is the one Piotrek Lucas works for as an actor. So the man at the table is talking to the character and the actor at the same time. This is what Piotrek (Lucas) understands.

The reason I am asking about the name is because of Gorden Cole in Twin Peaks. He is the highest ranking police officer in the show. But he is played by David Lynch, so when one of the other police officers speak to him, they are speaking to a supervisor both in the show and in real life.

So I wonder if Król "” Cole is a hint or confirmation of the same thing happening here.
doggod

Post by doggod »

"Vier and Fear do sound the same, but there is nothing in English that sounds like Sieben. "
===============================================

But SIEBEN has different meaning. SIBEN is the last day of the week. FOUR and SEVEN (SIEBEN) are separate symbols but create one meaning: FEAR OF DEATH...

"Piotrek is listed in the credits as, if I am spelling right, "Piotrek Król". Does that last name rhyme with "Cole" in English? Because (watch this!):

So I wonder if Król "” Cole is a hint or confirmation of the same thing happening here."
============================================

I don't think so. Because KRÓL in English is KING and COLE in Polish is KAPUSTA. But I see connections between GORDON COLE and the man from stage who tried something to hang (we only heard him) - scene between Jeremy IRONS and anonymous voice from scene...
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

OK, I see your point about sieben/siben ... but I think the main point here is that an idea can come without the artist knowing why (such as 4-7) and it will bring its meanings with it and be developed later. Mostly a Kinski reference.

What I am asking is if Król and Cole sound alike. I think there is a reference.

Yes, the incident with "Bucky J." plays into this. I hadn't noticed that but I agree, that makes sense. People seem to think his character is played by David Lynch, who also shouted as Cole.

-------

But to continue with what I see: Mr. and Mrs. Zydowicz are named that because, if Piotrek's name is Król, it would be pointless to call them Mr and Mrs. Król. Then the name game would be over. But if they have the name of the actor who is the producer and his character Gordy relates in name to Gordon Cole, then we have a series of names to bounce back and forth between. We can just keep going back and forth without solving any puzzle, but it shows that they are all tied together.

So, related to this is the reason that Piotrek was given the same name as the actor who played his part, Piotrek Lucas. We never hear the name of Sue's husband but we can see that he is Piotrek Lucas playing different roles.

So Mr. Rabbit gives him the gun and he just takes it into the other story (of Sue).

I can't explain what is happening in that part of the story beyond that, but that is how it works. That puzzled me before.
doggod

Post by doggod »

"OK, I see your point about sieben/siben ... but I think the main point here is that an idea can come without the artist knowing why (such as 4-7) and it will bring its meanings with it and be developed later. Mostly a Kinski reference"
==========================================

Every interpration is ONLY our views, not LYNCH"S...

"What I am asking is if Król and Cole sound alike. I think there is a reference. "
===========================================

I don't think so because polish letter "ó" sounds like "u", so pronunciation
for KRÓL is "krul". For COLE is: "koul", at least in Polish.... but, maybe it is simillar...who knows....

"We never hear the name of Sue's husband but we can see that he is Piotrek Lucas playing different roles."
=======================================

Such like Laura DERN and Karolina GRUSZKA but both are the same person ...

"I can't explain what is happening in that part of the story beyond that, but that is how it works. That puzzled me before."
=======================================

I would like to know why he (or she) get that gun?
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

About the gun: What I see is that Janek is helping Piotrek to look for the Phantom because Lost Girl called for him and the men at the séance heard her and Janek brought Piotrek there because he has a part to play.

So he takes the gun and brings it into the other story, the story of Sue, and puts it on the green jacket in the drawer. (That's why I am saying that it is the actor, Peter Lucas, who does this. This is something new in cinema.)

When Nikki is finished playing the part of Sue, the "LB" disappears from her hand. The first real look we have of that hand after she left Mr. K.'s office is when she hugs Kingsley and he calls her Nikki. It was sort of half there on the seventh snap of her fingers because it is fading as she, Sue, realizes that she is a character played by Nikki in a story, a story she can control as she controls the street girls snapping their fingers. They were all only her invention to begin with. There are several ways to see this but first, on with the story.

Then Nikki (in her blue dragon robe, so we know it is Nikki) goes outside the set and becomes aware of Lost Girl as they see each other. (She knows now that anything can happen and this is one of those things that happen.) So she goes into the theater and sees a scene from her role as Sue which we had not seen: Sue (with the LB on her hand again) reaches into the drawer for the gun. Mr. K. beckons to her, so she, Nikki, throws off her blue robe and once again assumes the roll of Sue, goes to the room, takes the gun, and eliminates the Phantom from the story. So now Lost Girl and Piotrek are free and the longest running radio play has been cured of its evil.

She is able to become Sue again, even though Kingsley has finished filming, in the same way she was able to make the street girls snap their fingers with her on snap number 4: she sees that it is all a story and she can control it: All of this has been happening in the story that Visitor #1 was telling her about "If today were tomorrow...."

So now, to get back to the Resurrection of Nikki, one detail gives a couple ways of seeing it: When Sue is dying on the street, she seems a helpless, doomed failure, dying in hopeless grief. But then, at her death, the scene changes to another view of her with a peaceful look. This is the scene the cameras back away from. So one way of seeing it is that Sue has really died but her image of reality is almost the same as the one she just left, only in this one she was only an actress named Nikki who played the part of Sue. The other way of seeing it is that Sue already knew that she was an actress playing a part when she snapped her fingers, so she went through the death scene in which the character really suffered and died because she knew that she would continue to live through it.

Beyond that I don't know. I've seen people post ideas about how she did that to lure the Phantom into the movie because he thinks he can now capture room 47, the INLAND EMPIRE, but doesn't know that Nikki can and will revive Sue. But I don't know because he seems very happy to have been shot and made to vanish.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Hey guys! Glad to see some new discussion on IE. Anybody visited the discussion board over at DL.com? LOTS of theories.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

Annie: I signed up for dl.com hoping to find such a discussion board because everybody jumped ship on the inlandempirecinema.com board. But in the month I was signed up I never saw any such thing and everything else was the same as it had been for a long time. So I dropped it after a month because I never found anything to do there.

So, should I join up again because I didn't find it? I thought I looked everywhere. The couple times I found anyone in the chat rooms they were just personal conversations about this and that. Is that where you mean the conversations are? Or is there actually a board that I didn't see? Where?
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

Thanks applesnoranges for the interpretation of the snaping-scene. I hadn`t an idea about this. So one meaning of 4 could be control.

Searched the meaning of the colour blue: It can stand for despair, desillusion and heartache. And I think this fits to the "walking with the blue robe-scene". The music is very impressing in this scene. Like life after death is realized.