NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by mtwentz »

I have no problems with comic books- I read them voraciously as a kid.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I just meant that EW has increasingly and especially in the past two years have had about every other week a Superhero related cover. Nothing against the genre.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

mtwentz wrote:I have no problems with comic books- I read them voraciously as a kid.
And I'm not trying to be overly defensive as a comics nerd who enjoy these movies. I just hate the whining you hear from so many these days about "all Hollywood makes is comic book movies." Last year there were six, this year there are seven. Among dozens upon dozens of major film releases. One just has to be creative, and willing to accept certain sacrifices when making more adult oriented fare that isn't going to rake in $500 million at the global box office.

I look at a movie like Arrival, which 20 years ago would have cost double what it cost to make now (inflation adjusted, of course.) Instead, director Denis Villeneuve was able to make it for $47 million, which would have been a tiny budget for a sci-fi movie even in 2002. But he was able to make it the way he wanted to make it, and the result was success. both critically and financially. (It made $200 million worldwide). A lot of these older creative types aren't willing to bend to the new way the game is played, and want things to be like they were 20 years ago.

Sorry for the tangent, but as someone who enjoys comic book movies/escapist fare AND more adult, nuanced cinema, I hate the idea that I have to make a choice.
LurkerAtTheThreshold
RR Diner Member

Post by LurkerAtTheThreshold »

GeekBoyEric74 wrote:
mtwentz wrote:I have no problems with comic books- I read them voraciously as a kid.
And I'm not trying to be overly defensive as a comics nerd who enjoy these movies. I just hate the whining you hear from so many these days about "all Hollywood makes is comic book movies." Last year there were six, this year there are seven. Among dozens upon dozens of major film releases. One just has to be creative, and willing to accept certain sacrifices when making more adult oriented fare that isn't going to rake in $500 million at the global box office.

I look at a movie like Arrival, which 20 years ago would have cost double what it cost to make now (inflation adjusted, of course.) Instead, director Denis Villeneuve was able to make it for $47 million, which would have been a tiny budget for a sci-fi movie even in 2002. But he was able to make it the way he wanted to make it, and the result was success. both critically and financially. (It made $200 million worldwide). A lot of these older creative types aren't willing to bend to the new way the game is played, and want things to be like they were 20 years ago.

Sorry for the tangent, but as someone who enjoys comic book movies/escapist fare AND more adult, nuanced cinema, I hate the idea that I have to make a choice.
--------------------------

I think there's a reasonable argument to be made that some of the camp spandex superhero stuff is so degrading to the medium, it changes the entire way it is seen, funded and produced. Comics have never shaken the juvenile image which the superhero genre has branded them with since birth, and the industry suffered for this typecasting. Now it seems cinema is being splotchily painted with the rainbow superhero brush, and its becoming hard to take the medium serious at all, as an adult.

No ones debating wether your entitled to your own personal tastes or beliefs.

I personally mourn the loss of the bold, expressionist cinema of the seventies which seemed far more concerned with exploring the dark side of human nature and the human condition, rather than continually repurposing formulaic characters and plots for the latest escapist Hollywood cartoon. Maybe it's not so much as superhero movies are to blame for decline in the art form, just that they seem to be what's filling the void.

Not to say that great movies aren't still being made, and ones that are genre defying and point to this very abyss of culture - Bird man and Watchmen being obvious examples.

Cinema is for kids now. No ones telling you that you're not entitled to relive your youth and embrace spandex escapism, people who value realism also have a right to their opinion....
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Again, I have no problem with any genre... If it's done well. I weep every time I hear John Williams score when watching Superman. My comment was about the Twin Peaks cover for Entertainment Weekly, and that the magazine has upped the percentage of Superhero covers, or really any blockbuster... When years ago it was much more balanced. But it is a magazine struggling in the world of the Internet, so it makes sense that they are going to do multiple covers for buyers to buy more than one issue.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

NormoftheAndes wrote:
underthefan wrote:I am not familiar with this band but does anyone out there know what to make of this? Other than maybe Angelo's participation will be lessened...?

http://pitchfork.com/news/49605-chromat ... win-peaks/
Bear in mind that there's probably 18 hours of this new series and the above bands/ musicians could have maybe maximum three tracks featured, if that. I'm sure Badalamenti will feature very heavily in combination with various other artists. For instance, 75 percent Badalamenti in terms of actual featured in the show music. I'm sure there will be enough music to make two different soundtrack albums if they wanted, one all Badalamenti with Cruise and Bell on (PERHAPS!) and another with 'featured artists' like The Chromatics or Johnny Jewel, The Veils and so on.

That said, I'm not sure the new show would choose to put out two different soundtrack albums due to cost reasons and also it would be damned confusing for some people.
Yeah, after I posted that my first thought was "Man, there's 18 hours of this. Angelo can't possibly compose 18 hours of music!" :lol: Though of course I'm sure he could but there is enough room for everything.

Just the other day, re-reading Beautiful Dark, I was thinking about how this is really the first time in Lynch's career that he has absolutely creative control in combination with a considerable budget (in comparison to his previous films except Dune). And that thought just makes me damn excited!

And also, I think he could release all the music digitally on his site like he did with TP Archive. This could be just a new section.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:Oh good, another Superhero cover... They don't do enough of those. (I know, I know collectors buy them and they sell.)

I don't think we going to see the EW issue until the end of April, possibly first week of May.
The Sirus XM post indicated "a few weeks" and I DMed an EW writer on Twitter and asked if it would drop before the end of March and they gave a tongue in cheek answer (without even indicating it was actually happening ;)) So maybe it'll be released in the first few weeks of April?
Early or mid April is my guess as well. The only thing that worries me, is that the covers of EW usually suck. On the other hand, a bunch of still pictures from the show would be so damn exciting.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Panapaok wrote:Early or mid April is my guess as well. The only thing that worries me, is that the covers of EW usually suck. On the other hand, a bunch of still pictures from the show would be so damn exciting.
That they do. Nothing bums me out more than how much exclusive access some magazines get and then totally dropping the ball on the covers. I understand that not every photographer is well versed in the material before they take the shots, it'd be impossible, but, sometimes they just completely miss the tone. And it's not just EW, I remember Annie Leibovitz taking Game of Thrones pictures for their cover story that made the thing look like a Disney fairy tale (but, I may be bias, as I think her professional work is routinely terrible; overlit and overproduced).

Also, as for the discussion regarding comic book films, budgets, and the like;

I love comic book movies; I've watched every Marvel Cinematic Universe one. And they're routinely good. I think the main problem is the plain overabundance of them (to the point where any big budget thing of any other genre is instantly a thousand times more exciting), and how often they're .. 'just good'. I know that's a strange problem to have, as it means you can pop on pretty much any MCU movie and enjoy it, but, they rarely transcend the genre. Off the top of my head, the only straight superhero movies I can think of that are straight-up excellent films are The Dark Knight .. Unbreakable (which isn't even based on anything) .. and I've got high expectations for Logan.

I do agree what an earlier poster said about Grisham's complains being a bit unfounded. The mid budget picture is pretty much dead, at this point in time, but crime thrillers have such an amazing place on television right now, and, as they said, something like Villenvue's Prisoners shows that you don't know the grossly over inflated budget to produce a quality crime film. If you can't make a crime film for less than 50 million, you're probably doing something wrong (likely spending far too much on the cast). Some exceptions of course (David Fincher can have whatever budget he asks for .. at least, in my world, if I were a studio exec).
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Also, I know this may irk some people, but, does anyone have an episode .. short cut that they might have used for the latter half of Season 2? I really want my friend to view the show, but, I know his standards are fairly high for television, and I just know the second season post-Leland slump will cause him to lose all interest. Should I just get him to watch up until the murder is solved, then just cliff notes him, show him the last .. two or there episodes + finale then the movie?
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I have a good friend watching the show right now, and he has just hit this patch and is complaining that "literally nothing is happening". I have solved this by inviting him round for curry after which Twin Peaks is mandatory.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

funny interview, several conflicting statements there. I love that the article rightly points out TP's popularity in Sweden, despite it not being shown on tv there.

She says she has no clue what's happened to the show, how long it is or anything else, which I guess is fair enough considering she was only shown her pages... She also mentions working with Lynch 5 days a week - but was unsure whether she even made the cut. I guess those early rumors of her having a prominent role may have been overstated or it's simply that because she doesn't know the rest of the script she couldn't tell how important or big her role is in comparison.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Rudagger wrote:Also, I know this may irk some people, but, does anyone have an episode .. short cut that they might have used for the latter half of Season 2? I really want my friend to view the show, but, I know his standards are fairly high for television, and I just know the second season post-Leland slump will cause him to lose all interest. Should I just get him to watch up until the murder is solved, then just cliff notes him, show him the last .. two or there episodes + finale then the movie?
Jerry Horne posted somewhere that preview that was used after the show came off hiatus (it was where Dark Mood Woods was first heard, long before episode 29).

I would say to watch that preview then watch the last 5 episodes in full.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

GeekBoyEric74 wrote:

Arrival was actually an independently financed film. That's the thing a lot of people don't realize... many films that get major releases with big stars are financed independently and distributed by Hollywood studios. Martin Scorcese hasn't made a film financed by a Hollywood studio in over 20 years... not one of those Leonardo DiCaprio vehicles was a Hollywood financed film. The statement that "all Hollywood makes are comic book movies" is true if you amend the statement to "All Hollywood finances are big budget special effects sci-fi films". There are probably a few exceptions, but more and more of the films you see that get major releases are independently financed. The Star Wars franchise may not technically be considered a comic book film because it didn't have comic book source material, but "comic book" films is being used in a broader context here.... call it "action fantasy" if you want.

This has changed the independent film financing game considerably. Now most of the money available in the traditional independent financing models are going towards projects that at one time were considered "Hollywood prestige projects" with big stars attached. And it becomes harder and harder to get financing for projects that don't have a big star attached or don't fit into the "Hollywood prestige mode".

Anyway as someone who laments this I'm not interested in having you or anyone "make a choice" or reject Hollywood financed special effects action fantasies. I still watch those films from time to time and hold them to the same standards as I would any other movie... they just need to be good. And once in a while they are pretty good. But the present state of the film industry simply does provide inordinate challenges for filmmakers who want to break the mold, including David Lynch (though I think he could have gotten more films made if he didn't insist for a while on using an SD camera for all his projects for a period). If you are a filmmaker who doesn't have the prestige that Lynch does it's all the more challenging.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Well, I'm in on the stance that Hollywood is nothing but mainstream superhero movies and stupid monotonous film's besides that, but two movies lately stood out of the crowd for me.

"Nocturnal Animals" and "Hell Or High Water" were both surprisingly good. No wonder they didn't score any Oscars. :)
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Let's steer this conversation back towards Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM