FIRE WALK WITH ME script

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Re: FIRE WALK WITH ME script

Post by claaa7 »

David Locke wrote:I'm not sure if the Norwegian dinner would fit in with the rest of FWWM tonally, though I certainly do like it. I think the only Missing Pieces that I'd really put back into FWWM would be:
1) Laura at the Haywards's
2) Leland glaring demonically at Laura, who's hiding in the bushes on her final night; the way FWWM cuts from Laura in the bushes to Laura seeing James and getting on his bike always felt a little choppy to me

And maybe a small one, like the Log Lady's sorrowful moonlit reaction.
these are the same for me, all these scenes would really work in the Movie in my opinion, perhaps better than some others (like Leo/Shelley in the kitchen for example).. i would absolutely would have liked to see the short scene of the devastated Log Lady incorporated into the film. i Think that is an extremely powerful shot that captures a lot of the whole atmosphere and emotion of Twin Peaks. it also builds really nicely on the earlier encounter between Log Lady and Laura outside of The Roadhouse earlier. i don't really know why it would be cut? it doesn't affect the time at all and it anchors back to dialouge from the series
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

claaa7 wrote:i don't really know why it would be cut?
Perhaps because it needlessly takes away the focus from the trio in the woods. It would've disrupted the flow, and, though it's an emotional moment, I think the shift in focus would've actually detracted from the overall emotional intensity of the whole sequence.
I'll see you in the trees
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

N. Needleman wrote:I love the Deer Meadow prologue. I think it's essential and I'd never cut it.
Agreed. I'd go as far to say that it, together with the scenes in Philadelphia, is my favorite part of the film, though I love it all.
I'll see you in the trees
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I think one of the most incredible things Lynch does in terms of making FWWM into a cohesive film is to take the laundry-list of people Laura saw on her last night and somehow turn it into a fitting climax. The show established an absurdly busy night for her, in the interest of generating multiple suspects, and the producers were almost certainly never intending to go back and show her last night at that point. Usually when a series tries to go back and show something that has already been told through backstory, it feels like they're listlessly hitting bullet points due to being tied down to the story. Lynch somehow manages to turn it into a cohesive emotional rollercoaster that feels like it was always planned exacty the way it is.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

It's worth mentioning that IIRC, in the original draft of the Season 2 premiere, as Albert and Cooper are narrating the details of Laura's final night, instead of the pan across the donuts with the dissolve to trees, they were originally going to show actual flashbacks of Laura walking and talking and going about her night, saying goodbye to Sarah, etc., with Albert and Coop doing voice-over over that.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

So why does Desmond ask about Deputy Cliff's trailer when he goes back to the Fat Trout, anyway?
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

The Jumping Man wrote:So why does Desmond ask about Deputy Cliff's trailer when he goes back to the Fat Trout, anyway?
This is a case of two different answers because the idea, or at least aspects of the idea, changed from script to screen.

In the script, it was supposed to indicate that Desmond had suspicions of Cliff being the murderer, or involved in something indirect but still illicit. Cliff is there, in the trailer park, being belligerent, and Stanley asks Desmond if he suspects Cliff as the murderer to which Desmond possibly lies, saying he does not. Then later, he asks to see the trailer. Something interesting about the confrontation between Cliff and Desmond is that it seems to suggest the same loose theme as seen in many cut scenes of characters from the original series: culpability of the passive and negligent, among those with bad and even good intentions; Desmond says as an aside that maybe if Cliff had done less partying, been more on the ball, perhaps Teresa would not have died.

In the final product, the answer is more cryptic and obscured -- possibly an unintended dangling thread. Without the previous scenes, we don't even have a name for Cliff, so when Desmond and then Cooper asks, not only is it referring to a scene that never happened, it's referring by name to a character for the first and only time. Which is odd. The only context we have, and which we have to sort out through very close viewing with so much of Cliff's establishing scenes taken away, is that the deputy at Deer Meadow we have no name for is the same man from the crooked drug raid with Bobby and Laura -- implicating him or the whole of the Deer Meadow force as potentially crooked, and that Desmond was following his gut but then compelled more forcefully by the ring.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

AXX°N N. wrote:
The Jumping Man wrote:So why does Desmond ask about Deputy Cliff's trailer when he goes back to the Fat Trout, anyway?
This is a case of two different answers because the idea, or at least aspects of the idea, changed from script to screen.

In the script, it was supposed to indicate that Desmond had suspicions of Cliff being the murderer, or involved in something indirect but still illicit. Cliff is there, in the trailer park, being belligerent, and Stanley asks Desmond if he suspects Cliff as the murderer to which Desmond possibly lies, saying he does not. Then later, he asks to see the trailer. Something interesting about the confrontation between Cliff and Desmond is that it seems to suggest the same loose theme as seen in many cut scenes of characters from the original series: culpability of the passive and negligent, among those with bad and even good intentions; Desmond says as an aside that maybe if Cliff had done less partying, been more on the ball, perhaps Teresa would not have died.

In the final product, the answer is more cryptic and obscured -- possibly an unintended dangling thread. Without the previous scenes, we don't even have a name for Cliff, so when Desmond and then Cooper asks, not only is it referring to a scene that never happened, it's referring by name to a character for the first and only time. Which is odd. The only context we have, and which we have to sort out through very close viewing with so much of Cliff's establishing scenes taken away, is that the deputy at Deer Meadow we have no name for is the same man from the crooked drug raid with Bobby and Laura -- implicating him or the whole of the Deer Meadow force as potentially crooked, and that Desmond was following his gut but then compelled more forcefully by the ring.
I don't think Desmond thought Cliff was the killer but he could smell something crooked about Cliff, Cable and the whole police station. Even the secretary was unfriendly, something was up.
Desmond was supposed to sense things like Cooper, I believe that's why he was drawed to the Chalfont trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk