NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Jerry Horne »

I'm sure Lynch would love to bring Twin Peaks back to Cannes and get a positive reaction unlike 1992. It even has a built in story for the press, 25 years later and all that.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Jerry Horne wrote:I'm sure Lynch would love to bring Twin Peaks back to Cannes and get a positive reaction unlike 1992. It even has a built in story for the press, 25 years later and all that.
I hope the critics fête him and kiss his feet, then he flicks the critics the birdy and goes to a different party – one that they're not invited to!

Their reaction (mocking laughter) was wrong then and is wrong now. I detest cruelty and there was a serious measure of spitefulness towards Mr Lynch over FWWM.

There can be all sorts of criticism thrown at the movie, but it didn't deserve to be treated as if it's an equivalent of Plan 9 From Outer Space.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

I'm not a fan of the Cannes Film Festival. They cultivate this ridiculous habit of booing at certain films. It's just disrespectful.
Last edited by Agent Sam Stanley on Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

I saw on Twitter that Kyle is "taking over" Showtime's Instagram account tomorrow.

Can someone with an Instagram account keep us updated if he posts anything interesting?
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

I can give you a sneak preview: coffee pie thumbs up #twinpeaks
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Esselgee wrote:I saw on Twitter that Kyle is "taking over" Showtime's Instagram account tomorrow.

Can someone with an Instagram account keep us updated if he posts anything interesting?
Yup.I am also following showtime on snapchat,so will post updates
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Gabriel wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:I'm sure Lynch would love to bring Twin Peaks back to Cannes and get a positive reaction unlike 1992. It even has a built in story for the press, 25 years later and all that.
I hope the critics fête him and kiss his feet, then he flicks the critics the birdy and goes to a different party – one that they're not invited to!

Their reaction (mocking laughter) was wrong then and is wrong now. I detest cruelty and there was a serious measure of spitefulness towards Mr Lynch over FWWM.

There can be all sorts of criticism thrown at the movie, but it didn't deserve to be treated as if it's an equivalent of Plan 9 From Outer Space.
The whole story of FWWM being openly mocked and derided at Cannes is just that - a story.

There are a few different accounts of it being received fairly enough but not being given any plaudits. Booing or anything like that probably did happen but one boo was turned into a big story. Overall, Lynch went there two years previously and got lauded immensely for Wild at Heart - the backlash arrived very quickly indeed two years' later. You have to recall that in 1990 there were many who felt WAH was treated as a work of genius but instead was just style over substance and in 1992 they got their proper chance to attack Lynch with the easy target that was Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

underthefan wrote:Okay, I might be the only person in here who would prefer there be no trailers, teasers, clips, plots revelations, or premieres, so that that way I could go into the show knowing nothing about it. It is extremely rare, if not impossible, these days so that anticipation of not knowing what to expect is thrilling to me!
You're not the only one. It would be amazing to be completely taken by surprise by the first 4 hours.. which I'm more or less expecting now.
I'll see you in the trees
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Rainwater wrote:
underthefan wrote:Okay, I might be the only person in here who would prefer there be no trailers, teasers, clips, plots revelations, or premieres, so that that way I could go into the show knowing nothing about it. It is extremely rare, if not impossible, these days so that anticipation of not knowing what to expect is thrilling to me!
You're not the only one. It would be amazing to be completely taken by surprise by the first 4 hours.. which I'm more or less expecting now.
Thank you, Rainwater! It's you and I against the world! :lol:
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

NormoftheAndes wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

The whole story of FWWM being openly mocked and derided at Cannes is just that - a story.

There are a few different accounts of it being received fairly enough but not being given any plaudits. Booing or anything like that probably did happen but one boo was turned into a big story. Overall, Lynch went there two years previously and got lauded immensely for Wild at Heart - the backlash arrived very quickly indeed two years' later. You have to recall that in 1990 there were many who felt WAH was treated as a work of genius but instead was just style over substance and in 1992 they got their proper chance to attack Lynch with the easy target that was Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.
That's a very good point. In fact, Lynch was also booed when he won Palm d'Or for WAH, led by none other than Roger Ebert.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

underthefan wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
Hey I'm 100% with you guys! And I also think it doesn't need marketing to get people into it. More people are into it than we think, and every true tv and film buff knows it's coming back. Once it hits, there will be so much press that it will be unavoidable. And I do fully expect some nice cryptic teasers throughout May. But I don't need them and I'm in the camp that believes the hype is already there.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

LateReg wrote:
underthefan wrote:
Rainwater wrote: You're not the only one. It would be amazing to be completely taken by surprise by the first 4 hours.. which I'm more or less expecting now.
Hey I'm 100% with you guys! And I also think it doesn't need marketing to get people into it. More people are into it than we think, and every true tv and film buff knows it's coming back. Once it hits, there will be so much press that it will be unavoidable. And I do fully expect some nice cryptic teasers throughout May. But I don't need them and I'm in the camp that believes the hype is already there.
This is completely true! I remember last year before Stranger Things came out, I haven't even seen a mention of it anywhere. But after it came out, it was all anyone was talking about for a while. I have a feeling same may happen with TP.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

underthefan wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote:
Gabriel wrote: I hope the critics fête him and kiss his feet, then he flicks the critics the birdy and goes to a different party – one that they're not invited to!

That's a very good point. In fact, Lynch was also booed when he won Palm d'Or for WAH, led by none other than Roger Ebert.
I thought I heard an interview with Robert Engels who was there at Cannes in 1992, and that he did not recall hearing anyone boo'ing after FWWM was screened.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

mtwentz wrote:
underthefan wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote:

I thought I heard an interview with Robert Engels who was there at Cannes in 1992, and that he did not recall hearing anyone boo'ing after FWWM was screened.
Correct. This story is a too-oft recycled myth. At most people were just shocked by it.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Mordeen wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
underthefan wrote: That's a very good point. In fact, Lynch was also booed when he won Palm d'Or for WAH, led by none other than Roger Ebert.
Correct. This story is a too-oft recycled myth. At most people were just shocked by it.

-Mordeen
Or it could have been just simply one person booing (not atypical at Cannes at all), and a massive mountain was made out of that molehill.