NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Ross »

Mordeen wrote:Critics were making shit up back then because they felt betrayed that FWWM was a prequel.
A lot of fans were, but I don't think most critics gave two shits about FWWM being a prequel. They weren't watching/following the series anyway.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

I don't dislike Tarantino's body of work over his comments about Lynch. I merely tried to point out what I perceive as a personality trait of his that I find detestable.

I dislike the larger body of work because I think it's crap filmmaking. That's all.

I certainly don't want to squabble over opinions. That's a pit this forum keeps falling into when things get slow. I just wanted to shed some light from my angle. We're all in this together. Cheers!

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:Hey everyone. Haven't been on here in a long while. Was mostly lurking and posting on spoilers thread before cast list came out. Came back to the non spoiler section to see what some of you think abut Catherine being in the new show as another disguise and thus left off cast list.

In the Oral History of Twin Peaks Frost has an interesting development with her character after the bank explosion that leaves it very much so open ended. I won't spoil it for those who haven't read the book yet. Out of all the regular cast members from the original show now not in the new one it's her that I believe has the greatest chance at returning. Maybe Heather Graham but my bet is a repeat of the fake identity with Catherine.

Thoughts?
From what I hear- it ain't happening. I honestly don't think we will see Piper.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:Hey everyone. Haven't been on here in a long while. Was mostly lurking and posting on spoilers thread before cast list came out. Came back to the non spoiler section to see what some of you think abut Catherine being in the new show as another disguise and thus left off cast list.

In the Oral History of Twin Peaks Frost has an interesting development with her character after the bank explosion that leaves it very much so open ended. I won't spoil it for those who haven't read the book yet. Out of all the regular cast members from the original show now not in the new one it's her that I believe has the greatest chance at returning. Maybe Heather Graham but my bet is a repeat of the fake identity with Catherine.

Thoughts?
I interviewed Piper Laurie briefly at the Carrie 40th anniversary Prom event in LA last October. I briefly brought up possibly being in Twin Peaks, even though I knew she wasn't on the cast list. She said that she wasn't in it this time, but very much looked forward to seeing it blahblahblah....but she did have a nice, big grin on her face the whole time she said it. So...I might be inclined to agree with you.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I was just reading about Apocalypse Now, arguably one of the greatest modern classics, and this is what I discovered: Apocalypse Now won the Palme d'Or for best film along with Volker Schlöndorff's The Tin Drum – a decision that was reportedly greeted with "some boos and jeers from the audience," according to Time Magazine. So, clearly this is nothing unusual for Cannes, and doesn't really attest to a film's quality or lack thereof.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Critics were following it plenty. They all loved it and then they all hated it. Whatever. 26 years later it's back and they can all go lay an egg for all I care.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Ross wrote:

Thoughts?
From what I hear- it ain't happening. I honestly don't think we will see Piper.

I respect your opinion but hoping you're wrong.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

GeekBoyEric74 wrote:

Thoughts?
I interviewed Piper Laurie briefly at the Carrie 40th anniversary Prom event in LA last October. I briefly brought up possibly being in Twin Peaks, even though I knew she wasn't on the cast list. She said that she wasn't in it this time, but very much looked forward to seeing it blahblahblah....but she did have a nice, big grin on her face the whole time she said it. So...I might be inclined to agree with you.
Interesting. Was it a grin like just trying to be nice and positive or was it a typical Catherine grin where you know she's up to something... lol
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

WhiteLodge90 wrote: I get your reasoning here and I get Catherine's storyline being finished in a sense. Catherine is however very central to the show of Twin Peaks. She practically appeared in every episode and her story line with Ben is still very much so unresolved. I just know from stories and interviews. Piper is known to enjoy throwing the fans and even cast and crew in a loop about when she played the Japanese businessman and she was very eager to join the show. With someone of her clout I just think it would be a surprise not to see her.

Then again I thought it was a give in Josie and Windom would appear too and those didn't "Officially happen"
Would've counted on Windom and especially Josie cameos too, and yet :c

Going beyond Catherine's specific case for a moment, though, I think that trying to respect the old importance of characters in an ensemble cast is one of the first mistakes a continuation can make. If the writers know what to do with a character in this new context, they're in, if not, they're out, old context be damned... it may suck for their fans but forcing bland cameos would be an even worse crime imho and the whole structure would stagnate (I say this staring in Ace Attorney's general direction, among others).

That being said, I like Catherine, so if it turns out that they did have an idea of what to do with her - one that would involve a surprise entrance, even! -well, all the better!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

I only brought up Tarantino to show that there were people there who reacted to the film in such a way that could easily constitute a boo, were they vocal enough to do so. Tarantino had no bias until he saw the film, as evidenced by his exact quote about how much he loved Lynch. (And not the place for it but I detest the notion that Tarantino is a hack, or that some would discount his opinions (or talent) because he made a comment about FWWM...Tarantino has encyclopedic knowledge but questionable taste, and an outspoken opinion like that is par for the course. These comments are not directed at anyone here, just my feelings on the matter in general.) Former Village Voice Critic Dennis Lim further perpetuates the notion that the film was booed in his book on Lynch, which is a wonderful and concise read, by the way. I love it. So whether it was booed or not, which according to Mordeen it wasn't, I'm only saying that it's very easy to imagine it was, given its initial reception and the downright scathing comments from critics and audiences who flat out detested the film. All of that is real whether the booing was or not.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Hopefully the 'expansive promotional campaign' that Adweek mentioned will indeed begin very soon.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I would love to see Piper, as Catherine was a favorite. But I'm pretty sure it's not happening.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Mordeen wrote:Critics were following it plenty. They all loved it and then they all hated it. Whatever. 26 years later it's back and they can all go lay an egg for all I care.
Yep! I remember my frustration with critics slagging off the episode where Leland was revealed as a killer. One memorable claim was that the killer hadn't been revealed at all, basically because the reviewer hadn't watched the last several episodes and therefore had no idea what was going on! I guess it was the gradual change that was starting in TV leading to greater serialisation of shows. No one expected an imported US network show to be serialised to the extent that Twin Peaks was.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

laughingpinecone wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote: I get your reasoning here and I get Catherine's storyline being finished in a sense. Catherine is however very central to the show of Twin Peaks. She practically appeared in every episode and her story line with Ben is still very much so unresolved. I just know from stories and interviews. Piper is known to enjoy throwing the fans and even cast and crew in a loop about when she played the Japanese businessman and she was very eager to join the show. With someone of her clout I just think it would be a surprise not to see her.

Then again I thought it was a give in Josie and Windom would appear too and those didn't "Officially happen"
Would've counted on Windom and especially Josie cameos too, and yet :c

Going beyond Catherine's specific case for a moment, though, I think that trying to respect the old importance of characters in an ensemble cast is one of the first mistakes a continuation can make. If the writers know what to do with a character in this new context, they're in, if not, they're out, old context be damned... it may suck for their fans but forcing bland cameos would be an even worse crime imho and the whole structure would stagnate (I say this staring in Ace Attorney's general direction, among others).

That being said, I like Catherine, so if it turns out that they did have an idea of what to do with her - one that would involve a surprise entrance, even! -well, all the better!
I see what you're saying but I think there is plenty of storyline left for her and considering the amount of cast it's obvious some of the originals will likely be religated to cameo status. I for instance expect Ben Horne, Nadine and Big Ed to have very small roles in this show. Not that I want that just my gut feeling based on the actors at this stage of their careers. They could've easily fit in a Catherine tie up. Which is why I think they will. (Hopefully)
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

N. Needleman wrote:I would love to see Piper, as Catherine was a favorite. But I'm pretty sure it's not happening.
Hey, no one in the cast even knew it was her as Mr. Tojamura so maybe they're just doing a good job keeping the secret.

I will be slightly disappointed if none of Catherine, Josie, Annie, Windom or Truman don't show up at least once. Not asking for all of them or even two as I know none aren't in the cast list. But lets face it. This is David Lynch and more importantly this is Twin Peaks. They're full of surprises. I can't see him showing all his cards before they air.