Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dud
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by dud »

thought this bit from the EW AMA was really interesting, surprised no one else brought it up:

So I can tell you something about this, something we didn't report in the cover story. It sounds like the new show doesn't put the pedal to the metal with pay cable explicitness. This is what Showtime's president and CEO David Nevins told me, when I asked him to what degree Lynch indulges the freedoms of pay cable: "There are moments, but mostly David’s pretty clean. There’s darkness and there’s scariness and there’s -- there are some moments of shock, but a lot less cursing and probably somewhat less nudity than most of our other programming. Definitely a lot less cursing... You know, part what defines David as such an entertaining filmmaker is he's got such a range of tones. It’s funny, it’s dramatic, it’s emotional, it’s shocking and occasionally it’s violent, but a lot of times the violence is more implied than shown. When he's funny, he's really funny. That’s one of the things I really like about the show is there’s just such a satisfying range of tones. I don’t like things that are one thing, I like things that are lots of things."
Ross
Global Moderator

Re: Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Post by Ross »

Interesting post about the (lack of) explicitness. I'm wondering if everyone will still be smoking.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Personal I love it. peaks was so rooted in Hayes Code era of filmmaking, and the best filmmakers worked around those constraints, and you had to be smart to read between the lines with how dirty some of them were actually being. So I thought Peaks was somehow working in the same brilliant manner. Sturgeon, Lubitsche, Hitchcock, Wilder... Lynch.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

That 400 page count is really somethin'. Even if we accept that that was for the original target of 9 hours and L&F subsequently wrote a LOT more, and even given Lynch's love of slow pacing and on-set improvisation, that page count is pretty damn low for even nine hours.

In most aspects of this production I'm hoping for Lynch to really go to town, no restrictions -- the "pure heroin" version is exactly what I'm hoping for. However, editing is the one area where I really hope he exercises restraint. Lynch's films have always benefited from judicious editing: i adore the deleted scenes from BV and FWWM, but both films are far stronger having lost them. Likewise, I want to see everything Lynch shot for this season eventually, but have a feeling a decent chunk of it doesn't belong in the series proper.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Ross wrote:I couldn't find the magazine today so I haven't seen the article, but Beano posted this quote on Twitter:
"Nevins says it will resemble both a serialized soap opera and the more abstract storytelling of lost highway."
Interesting.. Was hoping for more Mulholland Drive than Lost Highway as I found the later part of the film to be too complicated for even myself to follow. But I trust Lynch to do right.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

dud wrote:thought this bit from the EW AMA was really interesting, surprised no one else brought it up:

So I can tell you something about this, something we didn't report in the cover story. It sounds like the new show doesn't put the pedal to the metal with pay cable explicitness. This is what Showtime's president and CEO David Nevins told me, when I asked him to what degree Lynch indulges the freedoms of pay cable: "There are moments, but mostly David’s pretty clean. There’s darkness and there’s scariness and there’s -- there are some moments of shock, but a lot less cursing and probably somewhat less nudity than most of our other programming. Definitely a lot less cursing... You know, part what defines David as such an entertaining filmmaker is he's got such a range of tones. It’s funny, it’s dramatic, it’s emotional, it’s shocking and occasionally it’s violent, but a lot of times the violence is more implied than shown. When he's funny, he's really funny. That’s one of the things I really like about the show is there’s just such a satisfying range of tones. I don’t like things that are one thing, I like things that are lots of things."
Sounds a lot like what I knew the show would be like. Very layered in style.
beano
Roadhouse Member

Post by beano »

Ross wrote:I couldn't find the magazine today so I haven't seen the article, but Beano posted this quote on Twitter:
"Nevins says it will resemble both a serialized soap opera and the more abstract storytelling of lost highway."
Here is the exact quote from the article:

"Will it resemble the serialized soap opera of the original or the fractured, abstract storytelling of Lynch's 1997 psycho-thriller Lost Highway? 'The honest answer is both,' says David Nevins, chief operating officer of Showtime. Adds president of programming Gary Levine, 'There's a compelling spine through the story, yet there are diversions, tangents, fantasy.'"
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

beano wrote:
Here is the exact quote from the article:

"Will it resemble the serialized soap opera of the original or the fractured, abstract storytelling of Lynch's 1997 psycho-thriller Lost Highway? 'The honest answer is both,' says David Nevins, chief operating officer of Showtime. Adds president of programming Gary Levine, 'There's a compelling spine through the story, yet there are diversions, tangents, fantasy.'"

The original show had some small tangents of fantasy as well. I think the newer one will just have more which I'm cool with as long as in Lost Highway's case it doesn't completely throw the story for a loop midway through and then give a rushed and confusing ending.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Those descriptions sound delicious!
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Another interesting quote from the EW AMA (apologies if it's been mentioned):

"... I was privy to a conversation between two people involved in the new TP in which they were debating whether to release an image of a character played by a certain high profile newcomer whose visual look is apparently striking and amazing. They decided not to do so at this time."

Hmm....
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Mordeen wrote: As the saying goes, opinions are like assholes and FWWM plays into Season 3 so there will be plenty of sore assholes when the dust settles.
Wow, I didn't know of this saying. Whatta corker! :)
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Agent Earle wrote:
Mordeen wrote: As the saying goes, opinions are like assholes and FWWM plays into Season 3 so there will be plenty of sore assholes when the dust settles.
Wow, I didn't know of this saying. Whatta corker! :)
Cork that asshole. Heh.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Oh, there'll probably be bummed people throughout the entire spectrum of TP fandom.

I could never say for sure though, but I have my faith the majority will be more than pleased.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
tid

Post by tid »

Is any tech savvy members of this forum able to rip and download the 40 minute special and post a link here please?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

tid wrote:Is any tech savvy members of this forum able to rip and download the 40 minute special and post a link here please?
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... =15#p70898
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM