Different Twin Peaks podcasts

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Re: Different Twin Peaks podcasts

Post by OK,Bob »

Dalai Cooper wrote:Counter-Esperanto is highly recommended: imaginative, exploratory. Nice voices too
Thanks for the heads-up! This one is very promising...
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
LogGoth

Post by LogGoth »

Hello I am Rosie from the Diane podcast which a couple of people have been kind enough to recommend here. I've been lurking for a bit and thought I'd pop my head up and offer another recommendation for Counter Esperanto, really nailing atmosphere and offering up most enriching content, absolutely loving it. Also loved Log Ladies, I'm sorry they've not been back for a while they were able to drill down on character and the soapish elements of Twin Peaks really well.

Dalai Cooper, I'm sorry about the pain and suffering! I'm trying to think how we got to that translation now but I fear it may be my own (terrible) memory. Just googled "garmonbozia pain and suffering" and it does come up on other sites so it's quite possible this is a common misremembering or it might be a subtitle difference in different regions? I don't want to watch FWWM again until we get to it on our rewatch but I am frankly appalled at the idea we've been getting it wrong all this time what a bunch of donuts! Personally am very up for blaming bad woodsy energies scrambling our brains etc. I hope you're still enjoying the show :)
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Haha no changing it now! I feel like "pain and suffering" is the more common turn of phrase so people naturally remember it that way? Anyway keep up the good work!
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

I'd recommend the new Gifted and the Damned by Double P Podcasts. They've started off doing some excellent coverage of The Secret History. Fun, knowledgeable guys... Already among my handful of favorites.

http://twinpeaksthegiftedandthedamned.libsyn.com/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/twi ... 41599?mt=2
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Also I've come around to TP unwrapped since my grouchy post above
LogGoth

Post by LogGoth »

Dalai Cooper wrote:I feel like "pain and suffering" is the more common turn of phrase so people naturally remember it that way?
Probably spot on!

Listened to the "why was Twin Peaks cancelled" ep of The Gifted and the Damned and thoroughly enjoyed it as an overview of TV network mechanics at the time when TP was airing. The more documentary approach made a lovely change from all the rewatch podcasts (of which we are one obviously!)
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

There's a very good new one out called The Lodgers that's somewhere between Diane and the Film Comment roundtables - informal but in-depth anaylsis. They cover a couple of episodes each week and tend to talk around particular themes rather than going minute-by-minute. The most recent one goes into the politics of twin peaks and speculates about how the new series may fare in the current critical climate of the "recap-industrial complex", which I appreciated as it's an area people tend to skip over or handwave away with "oh lynch isn't concerned with that stuff" (I did appreciate that Twin Peaks Peeks attempted a kind of woke take on the show but ultimately didn't feel they were really up to the task & presented what often felt like rote criticisms)

I told myself I was done with recap-casts (apart from the beloved Diane gang, who just released their ep on the finale, as triumphant as expected) but hell, there are a lot of hours to fill and I have to get my geek fix somewhere. I do still get quite impatient with these when they get stuck for ages on a detail that the rest of us figured out right away, because they've misinterpreted something or haven't paid attention. Basically I want people with a solid grasp of the material and never want to hear "ronette polanski", "colonel briggs", "angelo badalamente" (or even "badamente") or randomly blurting out "it's the duality, it's the whole duality thing" like a kid who hasn't done the homework. That said, I do like how each podcast seems to come from a different angle, and manage to spot new things even in such well-trodden territory. Quick rundown:

- Ghostwood: promising new monthly podcast, so far they've only done a show on the secret history and one on the secret diary, fairly in-depth reviews
- Bickering Peaks: a recap cast with an impressive output rate - good for insights into fan culture (there was a bonus episode on fanfic) which you don't get anywhere else
- Dishin the Percolator: a fairly breezy recap cast, what makes it for me is the almost complete lack of enthusiasm of the co-host who hasn't seen the show before contrasted with the obsession of the longtime fan
- The Gifted and the Damned: glad I stuck with this one. The first time I listened I turned off after my least favourite piece of radio-hack schtick, the old "we've got james hurley in the studio, how ya feelin' james? *plays clip*" One itunes reviewer refers to their "stock DJ patter" which is off-putting at first, but so many podcasts try and make a virtue of amateurishness that I've grown to like the slickness of their spiel. Aside from that, they are obvious fans and know their stuff, there's some great analysis here.
- Deer Meadow Radio: extensive, if sleepy, discussion of less-discussed subjects - really loved the appearance of Deer Meadow Radio Jr to talk about gravity falls!
- Counter Esperanto: think I already praised these guys - definite focus on the Weird aspects of the show for all you lovecraftians out there
- Twin Peaks Podcast: gonna be a no from me. "not the greatest personalities" is an understatement! Four (five?) hosts and just nothing going on in that dept (except That One Guy, about whom the less said the better), this rivals TP Revival in how it leaves the listener wanting less. I think in fairness the field was a little less crowded when this started, but chatty snarky bullshit about TV is such a devalued currency in 2017 that the people who peddle it need to be really funny and/or smart. This lot, nah.
- Unwrapped: I pretty much stand by my statement that these guys are not the best at analysis, as the eps about the lynch films show, but it's hard to fault their affability and how they've become a sort of hub for the community. Great guests

I need to relisten to fire talk with me, as I remember liking it but remember practically nothing about it.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

OK,Bob wrote:I'd recommend the new Gifted and the Damned by Double P Podcasts. They've started off doing some excellent coverage of The Secret History. Fun, knowledgeable guys... Already among my handful of favorites.

http://twinpeaksthegiftedandthedamned.libsyn.com/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/twi ... 41599?mt=2
Yes, I just finished their Secret History series! Funny guys. I also recommend this one. It sounds like they live in Los Angeles, and sometimes share funny stories of running into Peaks cast members over the years.
Twin Peaks Podcast
Roadhouse Member

Post by Twin Peaks Podcast »

Hey all, Matt from the Twin Peaks Podcast here.

I'm just looking for advice about how we should handle season 3 of the show. Do you guys prefer a recap, or do you just enjoy hearing an open discussion that doesn't have any sort of linear progression and can go in any direction at any moment?

Thanks!
teddyleevin
Roadhouse Member

Post by teddyleevin »

I can put my recommendation out for Podcast from Another Place as the most fun Podcast to hangout with; 4 distinct and funny personalities that you grow to know over the course of their recap. I don't mind the tangents. It's always a bummer when one of them is missing, which is a testament to their camaraderie.

For Twin Peaks Unwrapped, I can't recommend any episodes that feature the hosts by themselves. They don't offer much in the way of new insight or entertainment and there are often moments that leave me clawing at the air: misattributed credits, misremembered details, and (perhaps a nitpick) mispronounced words ("perculator" from both hosts...???). However, their guests are often fascinating and the way they let the guest take the wheel is truly admirable. Anytime Joel Bocko (Lostinthemovies) is on is a real treat as his insight and report with the guys really soars. So, I would say skip their episode recaps, and enjoy their guests!

Deer Meadow was a little too dry for me as subway listening and the audio quality could stand for some improvement, but the observations are good and I would enjoy reading his ideas in an essay format.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

LogGoth wrote:Hello I am Rosie from the Diane podcast which a couple of people have been kind enough to recommend here. I've been lurking for a bit and thought I'd pop my head up and offer another recommendation for Counter Esperanto, really nailing atmosphere and offering up most enriching content, absolutely loving it. Also loved Log Ladies, I'm sorry they've not been back for a while they were able to drill down on character and the soapish elements of Twin Peaks really well.

Dalai Cooper, I'm sorry about the pain and suffering! I'm trying to think how we got to that translation now but I fear it may be my own (terrible) memory. Just googled "garmonbozia pain and suffering" and it does come up on other sites so it's quite possible this is a common misremembering or it might be a subtitle difference in different regions? I don't want to watch FWWM again until we get to it on our rewatch but I am frankly appalled at the idea we've been getting it wrong all this time what a bunch of donuts! Personally am very up for blaming bad woodsy energies scrambling our brains etc. I hope you're still enjoying the show :)
Hahaaaa just heard the fwwm show <3

Always glad to introduce uncertainty (while being 100% sure I'm right obviously). I think there's something very lynchian in the phrase being slightly off from the one your memory reaches for...
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

I got respect for the podcast game but ill nrver found any interesr in listening or following any. As someone so succimctly quoted on here the other day, "where i live theres always music in the air. Which means i rather read my material while listening to music. And try to keep attention on both things equal. Sometimes i ofc listen 100% too but theres a loy of concenttation involvved
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Still haven't really done a rundown of all the podcasts I've listened to (maybe someday - I think I did one on the TPPodcast FB page on one of my biannual visits to that platform so maybe I'll just transpose it here).

But I wanted to say that while I thought I was done with episode recaps The Lodgers and Bickering Peaks have somewhat reeled me back in. In The Lodgers' case, they were covering 2 episodes at a time, and have now ramped it up to 4 which makes it easier to listen to every episode. The real appeal is their cinephile and cultural/political angles, both aspects that don't get covered a lot (their guests mostly seem to hail from the world of film criticism/scholarship as does at least one of the hosts). Incidentally a great conversation recently spun off from one of their episodes on Twitter, where I tagged in this site's host and he explained how they could/couldn't restore some of the shots on the blu (I chuckled a bit when they later cited him on the show and pronounced it "Doug P.A." ;) ).

In BP's case (which takes the more traditional one-episode-at-a-time) so far I've just stuck to the big episodes and special topics (like the books or standalones, though I haven't gotten to the fanfic ones yet). They are among the most active on Twitter, which is how I found them, and they have great banter and a lot of insight. Their coverage of the end of the mystery arc was great, with a special episode on who killed Laura Palmer.
Last edited by LostInTheMovies on Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Twin Peaks Podcast wrote:Hey all, Matt from the Twin Peaks Podcast here.

I'm just looking for advice about how we should handle season 3 of the show. Do you guys prefer a recap, or do you just enjoy hearing an open discussion that doesn't have any sort of linear progression and can go in any direction at any moment?

Thanks!
I liked your style of recap in the old episodes where you'd mention a certain plot point and everyone would riff on that for a whole, then you'd move on to the next one (at least that's how I remember it). It provided a good structure for the discussion without getting bogged down in rehashing every detail.
Twin Peaks Podcast
Roadhouse Member

Post by Twin Peaks Podcast »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
Twin Peaks Podcast wrote:Hey all, Matt from the Twin Peaks Podcast here.

Thanks!
I liked your style of recap in the old episodes where you'd mention a certain plot point and everyone would riff on that for a whole, then you'd move on to the next one (at least that's how I remember it). It provided a good structure for the discussion without getting bogged down in rehashing every detail.
Thanks for the insight. Yeah, I liked how that worked too. It's just hard for me sometimes to stop myself and let the conversation go. Gotta be careful to not do as you say and rehash the whole scene.

-Matt