Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Re: Twin Peaks Reunion in Entertainment Weekly

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

After reading all the articles of the Twin Peaks magazine I was struck by James comments about having a large role not in size but in importance. Makes me wonder if he'll be killed off quickly or something.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:After reading all the articles of the Twin Peaks magazine I was struck by James comments about having a large role not in size but in importance. Makes me wonder if he'll be killed off quickly or something.
Of all of the characters in the shoot, I'm most curious about James and how he figures into new season. In the original show, James' role was largely about his connection to Laura, and then Donna. Considering that Laura is dead and Donna is....well, we don't know....I'm curious as to how they define the James character now that his anchor characters aren't as tangible.

I'm really stumped about the Donna dilemma...clearly she was in the script, but I'm not sure what capacity. I know there are other actresses in the show that may be a recast, but it's so up in the air.

Of course also really curious about Laura and really, really hoping that we don't go the alternate universe route....
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Bizarre to think that the show will actually be airing without us knowing beforehand if there are any recasts.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I don't want to precipitate an inappropriate spoilers discussion, but I don't know of any reason to think that Donna was "clearly" in the script.

I'm by far most puzzled and intrigued by Lee's role. On the one hand, it would have been shocking for DKL to be involved in a TP revival in which Laura didn't play a pivotal role, so it makes sense on that level. But Laura's eternal youth was such a defining characteristic, it is difficult (and incredibly exciting) to imagine what Lynch has planned for a 40-something-year-old iteration of a character who died at 17. I still think footage of 17-year-old Laura is my top pick for "CGI character" in the new series at some point, even moreso than Bob. But I'm also certain Lynch will take ample advantage of Lee's natural (albeit incredibly graceful!) aging to do some beautiful, groundbreaking work. Knowing DKL's work, I have a feeling we will soon be thinking well outside the confined narrative premises of "alternate universe"/Red Room/"redheaded cousin"/etc.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Aerozhul wrote:I'm really stumped about the Donna dilemma...clearly she was in the script
I don't know that.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:After reading all the articles of the Twin Peaks magazine I was struck by James comments about having a large role not in size but in importance. Makes me wonder if he'll be killed off quickly or something.
I get the impression that will be the case for most of them. Not necessarily being killed off, but having important scenes despite a lack of screentime.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

N. Needleman wrote:
Aerozhul wrote:I'm really stumped about the Donna dilemma...clearly she was in the script
I don't know that.
I think the assumption that Donna was in the script, at some point, stems from Sherilyn saying that LFB was indeed offered a part and declined the offer. Offering her a role implies they at least wrote something for her. Even as small as a cameo.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I'm gonna need more than Sherilyn's word on that.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Also, DKL was searching for Everett McGill on Twitter in 8/2014, three months before the new show was even announced. It seems entirely possible that actors were contacted way before shooting happened, and were written out if they were unavailable, during potentially extensive rewrites (which may have ballooned the runtime to double the original length). There's no reason to think that everyone who got an offer was in the final shooting script.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

N. Needleman wrote:I'm gonna need more than Sherilyn's word on that.
I guess Sherilyn might not be the most reliable source, but I can certainly believe they could have offered LFB a part and she declined. I mean it's possible either way. We know a few others were offered roles and declined.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

A complete lack of resolution for Donna would gut me, dang it. If she's not gonna be in the show at all, I hope she'll be handled offscreen somehow. :cry:

Anyone else wondering what might have lured the assistant director of the FBI out on the field?

And hurray for Albert keeping up his ties-to-episodes ratio. Show hasn't even started yet and he's already sported two different patterns, that's my boy.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
OrsonWelles
Roadhouse Member

Post by OrsonWelles »

My oh my. Not much, but definitely something. I'm just trying to enjoy these new images and not speculate too much. Mädchen looks stunning. I love the fact the new characters are still under the radar. Although it probably frustrates some people, it's refreshing to have a 21st century audience left in the dark about a release of this size. Great times ahead!
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Although it's kind of innovating and refreshing to have a show with an elderly cast, I think it is good that they have some new, younger women as well in the cast.

The sexual energy of the original show was part of its appeal for me. I think all the women of the origingal cast look wonderful, given their age. Still, Sheryll Lee or Madchen Amick or Sheryll Fenn just don't have the same charisma they used to (which is 100% understandable of course).
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

Rhodes wrote:
Although it's kind of innovating and refreshing to have a show with an elderly cast, I think it is good that they have some new, younger women as well in the cast.

The sexual energy of the original show was part of its appeal for me. I think all the women of the origingal cast look wonderful, given their age. Still, Sheryll Lee or Madchen Amick or Sheryll Fenn just don't have the same charisma they used to (which is 100% understandable of course).
I disagree, I think it's the individual that determines their sexual energy, not their age. Have you heard Sheryl Lee's reading of The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer?! I think we also have to remember that sexuality changes as you age, I would be shocked to see a third season where the older cast are still behaving like teenagers, it's relative, and I'm sure Lynch and Frost understand that. We haven't really seen them in character yet, so we don't know if they have the same chemistry or charisma. Not to mention the (somewhat) obligatory young, sexy cast members. I don't think it'll be awkward, but in fact more dynamic, in terms of romance and love and sex. The mature element needs more energy, I believe. The closest we got was Ed and Norma, any other mature romance in the show at the time was kind of ridiculed, or not to be taken seriously, and Ed and Norma were so great, and not even that old!