Music From The New Series

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Re: Music From The New Series

Post by MysteryMan »

OK,Bob wrote:
qbin2001 wrote:I wonder now if Twin Peaks Music Archive happened just because Lynch needed old music library for the new season?
The Archive releases began March or April 2012 - right around the time Lynch and Frost began writing "the first two hours" after having kicked around ideas for about nine months. Can't be certain what prompted Mr. Hurley's going through the archives, but something was happening by then! In the autumn of 2012, Lynch would tell Badalamenti about the pending third season.
From memory they started around late 2009/early 2010.
The next time you see me it won't be me...
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

MysteryMan wrote:
OK,Bob wrote:
qbin2001 wrote:I wonder now if Twin Peaks Music Archive happened just because Lynch needed old music library for the new season?
The Archive releases began March or April 2012 - right around the time Lynch and Frost began writing "the first two hours" after having kicked around ideas for about nine months. Can't be certain what prompted Mr. Hurley's going through the archives, but something was happening by then! In the autumn of 2012, Lynch would tell Badalamenti about the pending third season.
First TPA's track was released March 10 2011.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

MysteryMan wrote:
OK,Bob wrote:
What started then? [See links in the footnotes regarding the dates.]

The music Archive release began March 10, 2011 (1). [I bought the releases as they came out; my earliest email receipt is dated March 12, 2011.]

Frost said he and Lynch started thinking about Peaks around 2007, but first discussed it together in August of 2011; they began writing around May 2012. (2)

(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_ ... ks_Archive
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album ... s-archive/
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogsp ... later.html

(2) http://deadline.com/2014/10/twin-peaks- ... ew-846363/
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

John Neff will have two songs on the soundtrack.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jerry Horne wrote:John Neff will have two songs on the soundtrack.
Never heard of him before, but if he was in Athens GA in his 20s as the Wikipedia entry states, he must be good!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

mtwentz wrote:
Never heard of him before, but if he was in Athens GA in his 20s as the Wikipedia entry states, he must be good!
I think it's a different John Neff, an engineer/producer/musician who's worked with Lynch for... I don't know, 30 years or something now? He & Lynch do some beautiful soundscapes together (& their record with Jocelyn West [then Montgomery] is amazing).
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

(actually, I don't think they were working together during TP, more like circa Lost Highway, so 20ish years) :)
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Saturn's child wrote:(actually, I don't think they were working together during TP, more like circa Lost Highway, so 20ish years) :)
Thanks for the clarification!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

Johnny Jewel album Windswept now available with new Twin Peaks season 3 music http://italiansdoitbetter.bigcartel.com ... -windswept. Only $1.
Pölkkyrouva
Roadhouse Member

Post by Pölkkyrouva »

musicaddict wrote:Johnny Jewel album Windswept now available with new Twin Peaks season 3 music http://italiansdoitbetter.bigcartel.com ... -windswept. Only $1.
This album is everything. A great substitute before the real deal.

Any enligtened guesses which songs will be featured on The Return? Of course we know next to nothing about the new season so soundtrack can contain almost anything. But based on titles solely, songs Missing Pages, Strobe Lights and Between Worlds feel like a safe bet. And the song Motel has a very Lynchian vibe to it.
Let a smile be your umbrella. — FBI Regional Bureau Chief Gordon Cole
Dusk Golem

Post by Dusk Golem »

Pölkkyrouva wrote:
musicaddict wrote:Johnny Jewel album Windswept now available with new Twin Peaks season 3 music http://italiansdoitbetter.bigcartel.com ... -windswept. Only $1.
This album is everything. A great substitute before the real deal.

Any enligtened guesses which songs will be featured on The Return? Of course we know next to nothing about the new season so soundtrack can contain almost anything. But based on titles solely, songs Missing Pages, Strobe Lights and Between Worlds feel like a safe bet. And the song Motel has a very Lynchian vibe to it.
The ones with obvious reference names I feel have to fit. Insomnia I also would bet is in The Return, the music video for it is literally a girl wrapped in plastic. Heaven also sounds incredibly Twin Peaks to me.

Honestly, I kind of think most of it will be. There's a lot of tonal stuff I think fits. I also secretly am hoping the two vocal songs (Saturday and Blue Moon) are in the new season, liked both of them.
TheMx

Post by TheMx »

The "Windswept" album is very nice! I think Television Snow would be a great title theme...
"I am 100% sure that we're not completely sure"
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

mtwentz wrote:
John Neff & David Lynch recorded a great industrial-blues album called BlueBOB, a few tracks were part of the Mulholland Drive OST

https://www.discogs.com/es/BlueBob-Blue ... ase/939326
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

September 8th. CD & Vinyl announced.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Hooray!! Hoping for album art and excerpts soon! Definitely getting vinyl
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."