This Is The Street

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

This Is The Street

Post by MichaelPW »

During I watched IE the ninth time in dark surroundings I discovered the following: Billy looks in the window of Smithie`s house and for a short moment there`s the street I think. Do you see this as well? I don`t know why the street may appear here.
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

Yes, there it is! I have no easy way to explain it but it's a wonderful surprise! It's like when they are having trouble with the lights, one guy is speaking another language which I assume is Polish. Is he the same guy who asks about the toilet paper later?
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

Deleted.
Last edited by Christian1989 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

Christian1989: Thanks. That makes it simpler. I read the other thread, but I never saw what it was that seems so funny to the Norwegian audience. Is it just a shock to suddenly hear your own language in a foreign film?

Another shock is to see David Lynch's crew working for Kingsley"” that must be the point of the scene.
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

Deleted.
Last edited by Christian1989 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

The "first visitor" says something like: "When it is really 9.45, I think it is after midnight." What I ask myself is, wheter the person who is aked for the time and says that it is 9.45 (and in the background we see - maybe - 21.45) is the same person who hits the prostitute. I think the first one leaves his wife to go out and the second one meets the prostitute on the street (where a murder happened in the near). Moreover one is shaved and one is not. But is it the same person? Is it the phantom or only one of them or one character, respectively? Also the husband of Nicky - maybe - hits his woman. The woman who is locked in room 205 (=7?) looks at the scene in which the man is asked for the time as if it were a surprise that it is 9.45 and not after midnight. After midnight - maybe - Nicky meets the phantom and discovers - maybe - that when she hurts it she hurts herself. And another "person-person-question": See we one time the police-man dead who repeat "Hypnotized?!"?
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

Well the characters get pretty mixed up and move and change from one story to another but let me see if I can first identify who the actors are:

Peter J. Lucas (who actually goes by "Piotrek" in real life) plays Nikki's husband, Sue's husband, and at the end, Lost Girl's husband. He is also the guy on the street who tells the passer by that it is 9:45 and yes, he does have a mustache in that scene. We also see him dead and so does Lost Girl on her TV.

Krzysztof Majchrzak plays the phantom and the man Sue sees with the lightbulb in his mouth (whom most people assume is Crimp). He also plays the man who beats up the Karolina Gruszka character in the old Poland part. He is also the one in the dialogue with Gruszka in MTTH where he sells her a watch and then seems to take her soul.

Now, since Lucas is seen beating Dern in exactly the same way, same poses, etc. and tells her "You don't know who I am!", that leaves room for interpretation.
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

Thanks for getting this more right!
He is also the guy on the street who tells the passer by that it is 9:45 and yes, he does have a mustache in that scene. We also see him dead and so does Lost Girl on her TV.
Are you really sure? And who`s the man who leaves the woman who is seen from behind to go out? He`s the same who says that it is 9.45, isn`t he?

I assume that the mustache is associated with attributes like "correct", "good" and the beard of the "phantom" is associated with attributes like "incorrect", "evil".
He is also the one in the dialogue with Gruszka in MTTH where he sells her a watch and then seems to take her soul.
Sorry, I can`t attribute this. Where is it?
Now, since Lucas is seen beating Dern in exactly the same way, same poses, etc. and tells her "You don't know who I am!", that leaves room for interpretation.
And we have a third scene: There where Devon`s wife beats "her". By the way: Who plays his wife? "Sue" doesn`t mind. She gets beaten again and again. And then we have a "flashback" to the "i`ve been hypnotized-scene" meaning - I think - that Devon`s wife gets hypnotized here. In the "I`m not the one you think I am"-scene "Sue" stands up and up. But the Karolina Gruszka character don`t want to be hurt. I assume she`s the prostitute of the "phantom". They only know about each other on a "the-way-you-want"-level. They hardly know each other on the street. They don`t know the way of each other. But when the phantom sees her only at home usually and once he saw her with the murdered person, she will know who`s the person I think.
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

MichaelPW wrote:Thanks for getting this more right!
He is also the guy on the street who tells the passer by that it is 9:45 and yes, he does have a mustache in that scene. We also see him dead and so does Lost Girl on her TV.
Are you really sure? And who`s the man who leaves the woman who is seen from behind to go out? He`s the same who says that it is 9.45, isn`t he? .
The man who is going out (in the old Polish place) is the same guy, played by Peter J. Lucas (with a mustache). We see him again on the street saying 9:45 and then we see his body with a bullet hole in the head. That's how I've been seeing it all this time and I've never seen anyone else saying different so I assume it is right.
I assume that the mustache is associated with attributes like "correct", "good" and the beard of the "phantom" is associated with attributes like "incorrect", "evil".
I don't see a reason to think that. I think it is just to distinguish the movie in old Poland (maybe it is the unfinished 47) from other parts of the movie where Lucas plays other characters.
He is also the one in the dialogue with Gruszka in MTTH where he sells her a watch and then seems to take her soul.
Sorry, I can`t attribute this. Where is it?
MTTH begins with two acts that take place between Sue and her husband, then after that there is an act in some kind of temple with a long dialog between Karolina Guszka and Krzysztof Majchrzak about whether or not she should buy one of his lucky watches.
And we have a third scene: There where Devon`s wife beats "her". By the way: Who plays his wife?
That is Billy, not Devon. She calls him Billy. Billy Side's wife, Doris Side, is played by Julia Ormand.
"Sue" doesn`t mind. She gets beaten again and again. And then we have a "flashback" to the "i`ve been hypnotized-scene" meaning - I think - that Devon`s wife gets hypnotized here. In the "I`m not the one you think I am"-scene "Sue" stands up and up. But the Karolina Gruszka character don`t want to be hurt. I assume she`s the prostitute of the "phantom". They only know about each other on a "the-way-you-want"-level. They hardly know each other on the street. They don`t know the way of each other. But when the phantom sees her only at home usually and once he saw her with the murdered person, she will know who`s the person I think.
I think Sue has some of this tough quality that Lost Girl needs. Somehow, Sue takes care of a problem for Lost Girl whose soul is trapped for some reason. I don't know the relationship between the Majchrzak and Gruszka characters in the old Poland sequence except that they live together. I don't know why they don't recognize each other except it hints that in that movie too the characters got mixed up. 47 was haunted (according to Kingsley) just as On High in Blue Tomorrows is.
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

MTTH begins with two acts that take place between Sue and her husband, then after that there is an act in some kind of temple with a long dialog between Karolina Guszka and Krzysztof Majchrzak about whether or not she should buy one of his lucky watches.
I don`t know this scene.
except that they live together
Don`t think that they live together.
That is Billy, not Devon. She calls him Billy. Billy Side's wife, Doris Side, is played by Julia Ormand.
Yes, sometimes I`m a little bit too fast with naming the persons I suppose...
The man who is going out
Beside the question who the wife is (seen from the back) a question is where he goes and who the wife means with "I`ll never let you have her". What makes her allowing to say something like this? I assume it`s the bondage. But will he go to her? She doesn`t know. In a certain sense she`s lost girl. Maybe she gets the information that it is 9.45 - not having expected this. But what is behind this scene? Aggression? The evil side of him? And with what does he pay?

I think "the street" is something like "getting true informations about the bondage". Nikkie see possibilities of evidence that the "bondage" with Devon is not a real one. She`s only one of many. There are a lot of others who know special things about Devon. Later she sees that Devon was the wrong one, although she thought that he was the right one.
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

MichaelPW wrote:
I don`t know this scene.
It's not in the film. It's in More Things That Happened on the Region 1 DVD.
Which raises the question - is it legitimate to use stuff from MTTH to explain stuff in INLAND EMPIRE?
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

Robin Davies wrote:It's not in the film. It's in More Things That Happened on the Region 1 DVD.
Which raises the question - is it legitimate to use stuff from MTTH to explain stuff in INLAND EMPIRE?
You mean it's not released with the Region 2 version? David Lynch released it and it's called More Things That Happened, so those are more things in the story and so it is part of the story. If it is missing in some versions, something is wrong somewhere.
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

Well, as countrycode there`s a small world-picture on my DVD-case. And as special features there are four points: German and US-cinema-trailer, picture-gallery, information about cast & crew and program-hints.

What do mean with almost sold her soul, applesnoranges? And why are those clocks lucky?
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

Well, "More Things That Happened" is an additional 90 minutes of Inland Empire scenes which are not in the feature film seen in theaters. They are wonderful scenes which just seem to be additional. It is not a sequel, just more scenes.

The third of these is a very long and beautiful exchange between Karolina Gruszka and Krzysztof Majchrzak in some kind of temple where the other people are walking around like zombies, like people without souls. It is filmed in a style that reminds me of Ingmar Bergman.

He has watches pinned inside his coat, like an old cartoon character of someone selling stolen watches on the street. There is a long discussion about whether or not she will have good luck, as she has herd, if she buys one of his watches. He tells her that she will have good luck if she does two things: she must pay 25 dollars and she must let him hold her hand for two seconds. When he sells her the watch, it does not touch his hand; he has it lying on a little cloth. When she takes it, he grabs her hand and holds it for the rest of the scene, much longer than 2 seconds. Then we see her face go blank like the others, then we see fires burning and an old person in back of them which reminds me of one of the figures in hell from Michelangelo's Last Judgment. There is also a painting in the scene of a pregnant angel reaching up for flying birds and under her a demon is reaching up for her and scratching her feet.

Another odd thing about this scene is that it begins in Polish but she speaks English and says she does not understand, so he continues in English. But she speaks English with a Polish accent. There is no explanation for that.
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

Thank you very much for describing this additional material. I will have to get it somehow. Maybe Lynch didn't integrate it to have an unfinished movie like 47 and Queen Kelly.

It makes me understand the movie much more. It`s like an explaining scene for the scene in which Nikki doesn`t understand. It`s like an explanation of what is really going on.

So for me the phantom and crimp are like the "Bob-spirit" ("SaSaSa"), who`s collecting souls himself. "Bob" is inside her for a while. Until she bleeds it out. It was red.