Speculation re: Eric, Lara and Michael?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: Speculation re: Eric, Lara and Michael?

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

John Justice Wheeler wrote: The lack of Heather Graham would seem most mystifying of all (but one can expect that at least to be addressed).
I agree
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:
Panapaok wrote:Hopefully Brad will write another book and delve into all these casting issues. :)
He's gonna have to dig deep.
Yep! And how long do the NDAs last?

I too have heard Laurie declined an offer due to the very small size of the role.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I'd be very unhappy if someone was offered to return and declined because of the small size of their part. Personal issues or a small fee is completely understandable but declining to return because of a small role would be very sad and disappointing for me.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Michael Ontkean:
Was set to return, but had to drop out. Part was (likely) rewritten as Harry's brother Frank(?) Who knows if they possibly got a cameo from Ontkean?

Lara Flynn Boyle:
Sherilyn claims Boyle was asked and declined. Who knows? Boyle left TP and never looked back. Refusing to even read the script for FWWM (according to Engles). I could see them not even asking, or as Sherilyn said, asking and she declined.

Michael J. Anderson:
A part was written for him. He refused very last minute. Who knows what they ended up doing? Recast? Rewrites?

Piper Laurie:
Piper has claimed publicly that she wasn't asked. Rumor is she refused the small part she was offered. Again, which version is true?

Joan Chen:
Article claims she was up for a return, but that they couldn't find anything for her to do.

Heather Graham:
The biggest mystery imo. Heather has stated a few times that she wishes she was in it, but wasn't asked. Will she secretly appear? Mark's book hints at something mysterious with Annie (or the lack of), so who knows?

Chris Isaak:
Said he wasn't involved, but kidded that he should call Lynch for a role.

Chris Mulkey:
Mulkey took part in the Audio version of Frost's book (which mentioned Hank's fate), so was likely just not asked to be part of S3.

Eric DaRe, Ian Buchanan, Robyn Lively, Kenneth Welsh, Billy Zane, David L. Lander, Kiefer Sutherland:
Have heard absolutely no rumors about any of these. Certainly possible none were asked back, but I have no idea.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

To be honest, 25 years on, it's absolutely staggering how many people have returned for the show. For a series of this scale so many years later, most people would have expected far more write-outs and recasts. The only really massive character/casting issue has been Michael Ontkean and even then we don't officially know yet whether we'll get a recast or replacement character.

Given the huge number of new actors due to be added to the roster of Twin Peaks, any one of them could be playing a recast old character or someone new.

I'm still waiting for the show to open with Bill Pullman driving a car at night being pursued by the police, only for him to transform into Dale Cooper! :D
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Yeah, I guess we're saying it now so there were/are two stories about Piper. One had to do with the role/timing - they tended to call people last minute. Allegedly she was approached very late in the day.

The stories on Graham, Chen and Isaak are the ones I am beginning to find increasingly less plausible. But we'll see.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

N. Needleman wrote:Yeah, I guess we're saying it now so there were/are two stories about Piper. One had to do with the role/timing - they tended to call people last minute. Allegedly she was approached very late in the day.

The stories on Graham, Chen and Isaak are the ones I am beginning to find increasingly less plausible. But we'll see.
I'm still holding out hope that Piper will be having a disguise secret role again. Her fate in Frosts book very much leads to speculation and future plot so I'm not giving up hope till episode 18 airs and she isn't on the screen.

As far as the others I think there's got to be about a 90% chance one actor/actress from the original series will appear as a surprise but who that will be is really anyone's guess and I kind of like it that way.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Bloodflood
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bloodflood »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
I'm still holding out hope that Piper will be having a disguise secret role again. Her fate in Frosts book very much leads to speculation and future plot so I'm not giving up hope till episode 18 airs and she isn't on the screen.

As far as the others I think there's got to be about a 90% chance one actor/actress from the original series will appear as a surprise but who that will be is really anyone's guess and I kind of like it that way.
Oh, Piper having a disguise secret role again would be the best thing ever. I need this so much!!!!!
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

N. Needleman wrote:Yeah, I guess we're saying it now so there were/are two stories about Piper. One had to do with the role/timing - they tended to call people last minute. Allegedly she was approached very late in the day.

Graham, Chen and Isaak. Each of their characters fate was full of uncertainty and connected to the lodges.
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

Of all of the actors that supposedly weren't asked back, the one that's probably most likely to put in a surprise appearance, in my opinion, is Heather Graham. Especially given the mysterious nature of her character's fate that was played up in TSHOTP. I doubt they would make us talk about this character again if she wasn't important to the plot in some way.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I find the whole "couldn't find a way to fit them into the story" excuse kind of weak.

Josie - We know we'll be traveling to the lodge(s) / red room - surely we can see her there, if only briefly? Or some sort of presence in the Great Northern where her spirit is trapped ?

Chet Desmond - Same deal, wouldn't it be neat to see him trapped in the purgatory ? Would make a neat parallel to Coop's experience.
haveimooed

Post by haveimooed »

Bloodflood wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:

Oh, Piper having a disguise secret role again would be the best thing ever. I need this so much!!!!!
I don't think this is possible even if they tried it, because there are a lot of fans waiting for exactly this, who will jump at any unknown actor in a heavy make up role to be Piper.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

haveimooed wrote:
Bloodflood wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:

I don't think this is possible even if they tried it, because there are a lot of fans waiting for exactly this, who will jump at any unknown actor in a heavy make up role to be Piper.
But they have different technology now and advancements in make up and special effects. I wouldn't rule it out.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I'm less concerned about actors who aren't returning and more interested in who the plethora of "new" actors will be playing, and the sizes of their roles.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I am heading to Monsterpalooza next weekend, and Piper will be there. So, if I manage to get to her, you can be sure I will ask her about her return and try to gauge her reaction... I have to say Catherine is the character that makes me laugh the most, other than maybe Albert, so I have a soft spot for her.

http://www.monsterpalooza.com/spring/guests.html