'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31

Post by Agent Earle »

Don't like the word "Final" in the title at all. Come to think of it, that's an understatement - I hate it! Who cares about Ronnie Rocket. I want all those seasons of Twin Peaks we were deprived of in the 90's!
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

tptfd.png
tptfd.png (12.32 KiB) Viewed 10578 times
There it is.. I did hope for more
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
euclid
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31

Post by euclid »

Soolsma wrote:
tptfd.png
There it is.. I did hope for more
That must be a response to the amazon listing - hoping they will send out a press release soon

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

I'm fine with that!

I don't like the title much (if just because I was hoping for a sort of "Secret History of Twin Peaks Vol. 2" or something along those lines that feels almost scholarly in it's titling.

176 pages seems .. short? But, maybe that's just placeholder stuff. Don't get me wrong, I thought one of the big weaknesses of Secret History is that it felt like it direly needed an edit, and got bogged down. My initial hesitance at that page number is just that if it fills the 25 year gap, that feels like there would be a ton of juicy/interesting material to fill a page number (whereas Secret History felt like it was stretching very redundant information about UFOs out way too far). I almost wonder if maybe Secret History was split up in writing (pulled out the spoilery stuff) and set aside for this? I mean, he would've had to write this thing pretty damn quick ..

I'd like it to keep the format of Secret History as well, as it made for a beautiful book (and hopefully by having some more practice in that format, he'll avoid some of the clunkier aspects that plagued Secret History).

Overall, I'm happy though, and it'll be out only a couple months after the show ends! (Though, I think I'm going to be far less hyped for this, just because it's not *the first new Twin Peaks media of any major substance in 25 or so years* .. Secret History was a hyped event because we're all searching for easter eggs and hints at the new season, and, naturally a lot of that curiosity will probably die down after already having gotten one book and 18 hours of television).

And I'm with others in saying, I hope this ends Peaks. Wrap a bow on it while Frost/Lynch are still around to do it and end it on their own terms (as morbid as that is).

Also, if he could come to Toronto for this book tour? Please!
saygoodbyetojack
Roadhouse Member

Post by saygoodbyetojack »

Agent Earle wrote:Don't like the word "Final" in the title at all. Come to think of it, that's an understatement - I hate it! Who cares about Ronnie Rocket. I want all those seasons of Twin Peaks we were deprived of in the 90's!

Yeah "final" is not a word I want to hear ha ha
More seasons after this please
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

After supposedly yearning for more Twin Peaks for quarter of a century plus, people are sure in dire need to see it disappear (again) as fast as it can :)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Weird that they basically scooped themselves with that tease last week, only to let Amazon double scoop them, and finally they release an anticlimactic official announcement.

Anyway, rockin' good news! Despite being an OCD continuity nut, I enjoyed much of TSHoTP a good deal. Excited to see what Mark has planned for what may end up being TP's final all-cards-on-the-table last stand.
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

Agent Earle wrote:Don't like the word "Final" in the title at all. Come to think of it, that's an understatement - I hate it! Who cares about Ronnie Rocket. I want all those seasons of Twin Peaks we were deprived of in the 90's!
I wouldn't view this as absolutely foreclosing the possibility of more Peaks. Keep in mind, "The Entire Mystery" released just months before the announcement of the new season.
Welcome...to the third...place.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Agent Earle wrote:After supposedly yearning for more Twin Peaks for quarter of a century plus, people are sure in dire need to see it disappear (again) as fast as it can :)
I think people wanted to have closure on the series. If it didn't end on the massive cliffhanger, I think the fan following would've been very different.

I simply am sick of media that goes on in perpetuity. I love love love Star Wars, and am pumped for Episode 8/9 in order to hopefully close out Luke Skywalkers story, but, I dread the idea of seeing Episode 37 in 20 years. Similarly, with Marvel, I like the individual movies, but, at some point once you've risen the stakes a dozen times, expanded the scope beyond reasons, it all becomes meaningless.
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Anyway, rockin' good news! Despite being an OCD continuity nut, I enjoyed much of TSHoTP a good deal. Excited to see what Mark has planned for what may end up being TP's final all-cards-on-the-table last stand.
Continuity issues in Peaks have never bugged me. I think because I can't expect material written in 89/90, written before heavy serialization and cinematic universes, to hold up under a lot of scrutiny. It's similar to Mad Max, where I just go with it. Continuity only irks me when it feels like it goes agains the intent of something (i.e., I think Rowling's Wizarding World is paper thin, Tolkien's Hobbit/Lord of the Rings contradictions annoy me .. I think Martin's Westeros is one of the few that feels like it was fully thought out from the beginning and wasn't written one page ahead).
Last edited by Rudagger on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Rudagger wrote: I dread the idea of seeing Episode 37 in 20 years.
Here, here. I was following the Marvel films until Guardians of the Galaxy, and all the wide shots of space lasers going everywhere, attenuated by what must have been 10 minutes overall of character development, and I bowed out and have just stopped paying attention to the MCU. It seems like every month another entry has piled up, and now that I'm detached from it, I couldn't comprehend actually devoting so much time to so much entertainment. And then I look at Disney's plan to release a Star Wars film every year, and that they're remaking, what was it, 15 of their classic movies? The enormity of it fills me with existential dread. I imagine somewhere a factory just spitting these things out, and that it floods the Earth.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

This are great news!!! Fantastic!! :D :D :D

Do you know anything about its distribution in Europe?
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Harry S. Truman wrote:Do you know anything about its distribution in Europe?
It'll probably be similar to TSHOTP.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Rudagger wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Anyway, rockin' good news! Despite being an OCD continuity nut, I enjoyed much of TSHoTP a good deal. Excited to see what Mark has planned for what may end up being TP's final all-cards-on-the-table last stand.
Continuity issues in Peaks have never bugged me. I think because I can't expect material written in 89/90, written before heavy serialization and cinematic universes, to hold up under a lot of scrutiny. It's similar to Mad Max, where I just go with it. Continuity only irks me when it feels like it goes agains the intent of something (i.e., I think Rowling's Wizarding World is paper thin, Tolkien's Hobbit/Lord of the Rings contradictions annoy me .. I think Martin's Westeros is one of the few that feels like it was fully thought out from the beginning and wasn't written one page ahead).
The original series actually did an alright job with continuity. For a show from 1990, I think it holds together remarkably well more often than not (aside from the writing just generally getting sloppier in the second half). Mark's book disappointed me in this regard, though.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I guess we can expect a more elaborate promotion during the airing of S3. It fits the time frame for TSHOTP's promotion and is of course the most strategic marketing wise.

Wondering how long it's been finished btw. (Assuming it is, since we have a page count)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I really have the feeling that there was one big book at some point, and they just ripped out the last bit to protect the series. They then waited to see how the first book did before committing to the second one.