NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Ross »

LateReg wrote:I have no doubt that the experience of waiting has been far more fulfilling for those who navigated the spoiler thread, no doubt about it, and I know I missed out on some fun times. But I have an honest question. If given the choice between watching this thing with everything you know, or erasing your memory and watching it without knowing a single thing, which do you think you'd prefer? For me it would always be the latter, and I admit I'm a little flummoxed by those who would choose the former. I can't imagine someone ever saying "I wish I HAD known that going in!" but I know a lot of folks in regard to films past who have said "I wish I HADN'T known that!" But that, to me, is the trade off. You have a better time waiting for the thing to come out by delving into spoilers and just hope you don't get too much...but portions of the main event may be less surprising as a result.
I understand what you are saying, and agree. I've been trying to avoid big plot spoilers as well. But I will say that there weren't big plot spoilers in that thread. Not that I saw. I still feel I'm going in mostly blind. I honestly think even the people that know a lot of stuff are still relatively in the dark.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

LateReg wrote: I have no doubt that the experience of waiting has been far more fulfilling for those who navigated the spoiler thread, no doubt about it, and I know I missed out on some fun times. But I have an honest question. If given the choice between watching this thing with everything you know, or erasing your memory and watching it without knowing a single thing, which do you think you'd prefer? For me it would always be the latter, and I admit I'm a little flummoxed by those who would choose the former. I can't imagine someone ever saying "I wish I HAD known that going in!" but I know a lot of folks in regard to films past who have said "I wish I HADN'T known that!" But that, to me, is the trade off. You have a better time waiting for the thing to come out by delving into spoilers and just hope you don't get too much...but portions of the main event may be less surprising as a result.
Especially when it comes to sequels, there may be some details that some people want to know so badly that waiting for them to come up on screen would actually ruin their enjoyment of everything else going on.
For example, knowing if their fave character has a sizeable screentime or just a cameo helps to set expectations and enjoy either scenario accordingly. Which is, incidentally, the reason why I started checking the spoiler thread :) I know a story can't be held accountable for not catering to the wrong expectations, and I was too involved in this story to go in without expectations at all.
Then I stayed because the people in the know we're gracious and responsible enough to keep the leaks to intriguing bits that never added to a full picture, and for that they all have my thanks.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

John Justice Wheeler wrote:Well, then there are those of us who don't have Showtime and are unlikely to get Showtime for various reasons and are also unlikely to be able to avoid the sure to be thorough spoilers once the series is released, in which case all of it will be spoiled which somehow seems like the ultimate and appropriate black comic perversity. But anyway, I have read scripts in advance of upcoming feature films for many years and have never been bothered by that and find that it actually can enhance the experience as the viewing of it is always different from reading about it or getting someone else's take on it.
I totally get that. That's a different form of film appreciation, as everything does start from the script, and not all films are about suspense or surprises, but the joy of the execution. Some people are into that aspect of filmmaking, from the ground up. I'm a sucker for aesthetics over story, myself. But in this case, Lynch has specifically kept everything leak-free. There is no script out there, for example. It's meant to be viewed knowing as little as possible. And I guess even those who know spoilers do know very little, so their experience won't be ruined. I'm just wondering if there are people who actually prefer to know things over not knowing things, if both options were magically available at the time of first viewing, especially in a film that promises many twists and turns.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Mordeen wrote:I miss the spoiler thread. All of the incoherent nuggets, be they pics from locations, character names or small chunks of dialogue we a big part of hyping it up for me; wondering how it all fit in and letting my imagination run wild. Made quite a few real life friends from it as well, through correspondence and real world cloak and dagger style meet ups both in Washington and L.A.

For me it all lends to the overall joy of The Return.

-Mordeen
I thought I was in the minority! I greatly miss the spoiler thread. I'm not a massive one for liking surprises and always like to know a bit about what is on it's way. That way I can prepare myself for what is about to happen. I've always been like that about everything in life generally. But everyone is different I guess.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Jerry Horne wrote:
Harry S. Truman wrote:By the way does anyone know what happens with the twin peaks archive twitter page? For several days they have not published anything or have any movement
Hi Harry. I had some business in Canada but I'm back. Back and ready.
Great News!! I follow the page every day to see what's new.

regards.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Snailhead wrote:Maybe we get to meet Maddy's parents in Missoula.
Yes, but what role would they have in the plot?
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Sidgwick wrote:Faceless character I think we'll see: Robertson.
It Would be great!!

Another faceless character could be the father of cooper.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

LateReg wrote:
Mordeen wrote:I miss the spoiler thread. All of the incoherent nuggets, be they pics from locations, character names or small chunks of dialogue we a big part of hyping it up for me; wondering how it all fit in and letting my imagination run wild. Made quite a few real life friends from it as well, through correspondence and real world cloak and dagger style meet ups both in Washington and L.A.

-Mordeen
I have no doubt that the experience of waiting has been far more fulfilling for those who navigated the spoiler thread, no doubt about it, and I know I missed out on some fun times. But I have an honest question. If given the choice between watching this thing with everything you know, or erasing your memory and watching it without knowing a single thing, which do you think you'd prefer? For me it would always be the latter, and I admit I'm a little flummoxed by those who would choose the former. I can't imagine someone ever saying "I wish I HAD known that going in!" but I know a lot of folks in regard to films past who have said "I wish I HADN'T known that!" But that, to me, is the trade off. You have a better time waiting for the thing to come out by delving into spoilers and just hope you don't get too much...but portions of the main event may be less surprising as a result.
The former. I wouldn't trade what I know and how I came about discovering it all for anything.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

Living in the actual town has been spoiler enough. Now, where did I leave my notes?
We live inside a dream.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

mtsi wrote:Living in the actual town has been spoiler enough. Now, where did I leave my notes?
You're still sitting on one of the best kept secrets of all. Can't wait to find it out.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mordeen wrote:
LateReg wrote:

-Mordeen
I have no doubt that the experience of waiting has been far more fulfilling for those who navigated the spoiler thread, no doubt about it, and I know I missed out on some fun times. But I have an honest question. If given the choice between watching this thing with everything you know, or erasing your memory and watching it without knowing a single thing, which do you think you'd prefer? For me it would always be the latter, and I admit I'm a little flummoxed by those who would choose the former. I can't imagine someone ever saying "I wish I HAD known that going in!" but I know a lot of folks in regard to films past who have said "I wish I HADN'T known that!" But that, to me, is the trade off. You have a better time waiting for the thing to come out by delving into spoilers and just hope you don't get too much...but portions of the main event may be less surprising as a result.
The former. I wouldn't trade what I know and how I came about discovering it all for anything.

-Mordeen
I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure if it was what I was really asking. I was focusing solely on the experience of watching it, whereas you seem more focused on the experience of what came before and not wanting to give all that up. Is that experience (and bringing it with you) going to make you enjoy plunging into the show more than you would if you knew absolutely nothing? Obviously, I accept your answer and can see how joyful it can make you feel about The Return, and you've had a greater ride than many of us, it seems! I'm just genuinely curious how different minds work about the basic task of sitting down to watch the first hour of the new Twin Peaks.

Dennis Lim once got to sit down and watch Inland Empire in Lynch's Lost Highway house without knowing a single thing about it beforehand. How could any experience be more amazing/disorienting than that? He said it remains the most indelible viewing experience of his life. Now, I knew how crazy Inland Empire was said to be before seeing it, and obviously I still was amazed/disoriented, but I can only imagine that if I hadn't read a single word about it that my amazement/disorientation would be greater. Places like that are where I'm coming from.
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

LateReg wrote:
Mordeen wrote:
LateReg wrote:

Dennis Lim once got to sit down and watch Inland Empire in Lynch's Lost Highway house without knowing a single thing about it beforehand. How could any experience be more amazing/disorienting than that? He said it remains the most indelible viewing experience of his life.
Too bad Dennis Lim's book about Lynch was so delible.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Yeah whoops, I did misunderstand your question. The excitement of anticipating seeing what I know fall into place in the overall story has me more excited than going in blind.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

Shhhhh

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Adolphus wrote:
LateReg wrote:
Mordeen wrote:
Too bad Dennis Lim's book about Lynch was so delible.
You didn't like it? I thought it was a fantastic summation, wonderfully concise. He's such an intelligent critic.