'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

RR Diner Member

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31

Post by 4815162342 »

"The Final Dossier" - If I didn't know better I would say he's trolling!
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

laughingpinecone wrote:That's an interesting watershed, "essential". I can think of maybe five hours total that are "essential". Mill plot, not essential. One Eyed Jack, not essential. Log Lady, not essential. Donna &co's investigations at Jacoby's first and Harold's later, not essential. Bobby and Shelly, and Leo, and Hank, and Norma and Ed and Nadine, not essential.
The thing is, the show is called 'Twin Peaks,' not 'Dale Cooper' and not 'Laura Palmer.' Ultimately, some storylines might seem inconsequential, but inconsequential to whom? I see the show as being one about the place as a whole with lots of running storylines. It's easy sometimes to get diverted by one or two bigger threads, such as 'Who killed Laura Palmer?'
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Gabriel wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:That's an interesting watershed, "essential". I can think of maybe five hours total that are "essential". Mill plot, not essential. One Eyed Jack, not essential. Log Lady, not essential. Donna &co's investigations at Jacoby's first and Harold's later, not essential. Bobby and Shelly, and Leo, and Hank, and Norma and Ed and Nadine, not essential.
The thing is, the show is called 'Twin Peaks,' not 'Dale Cooper' and not 'Laura Palmer.' Ultimately, some storylines might seem inconsequential, but inconsequential to whom? I see the show as being one about the place as a whole with lots of running storylines. It's easy sometimes to get diverted by one or two bigger threads, such as 'Who killed Laura Palmer?'
Oh, that was my point, sorry if I didn't convey it clearly! Essentiality seems to me like a poor meter for judging stuff in general, and even poorer for judging Twin Peaks, whose strengths lie so much in the single moments, the little things.
So (for example) the friendship between Margaret and Robert Jacoby may not mean anything in the grand scheme of things, but why the heck should it. It's an added thread in this tapestry, same as so many others, and a beautiful one.
Even keeping close to the double helix of Laura and Dale, not everything is "essential". I'm glad we learned her side of Bobby's first time and that of course Coop rented a room above a bakery.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

laughingpinecone wrote: Oh, that was my point, sorry if I didn't convey it clearly!
No, I was agreeing with you. :lol:
keatonshat
Roadhouse Member

Post by keatonshat »

Not sure if its been mentioned here yet but Amazon now has a descrition
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (73.63 KiB) Viewed 9254 times
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

This sentence is enough to turn me off:
"The novel also adds context and commentary to the strange and cosmic happenings of the new series."

"Context and commentary" are the last things I'm looking for in Twin Peaks. I don't think I'll be reading this -- then again, I have no idea what it is exactly that we're getting in-between now and the novel, so time will tell. It's certainly not the most appetizing description, though.
I'll see you in the trees
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Cool. That description seems to confirm a lot of the suspicions that have been flying around about this book's relationship to the first one.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the precise choice of words in a description written by the publisher; it's fluff. That said, those who vehemently disliked the first one are certainly reasonable in passing on this one.
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

It may also be another chance for Frost to wrest back some control from Lynch in terms of clarifying or "commenting" on what we will have just seen at that point. I can't imagine that their collaborative partnership is an easy one for either of them given how divergent their philosophies seem to be.
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The Jumping Man wrote:Some fuel for the fire:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... peaks.html
Yawn. The author is entitled to her opinion, and I agree with her to a certain point, but she's vastly oversimplifying and unfairly diminishing Frost's value. More to the point, this is the same old tired narrative that gets trotted out over and over. nothing to see here.
Sidgwick
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sidgwick »

Her critique of both Frost himself and his book (which she's not read closely enough) is laughably one dimensional and lazy. Funny how she opted for the word irony.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Yeah, bridging the gap between the two series should be fun but I'm not interested in contextualising the abstract elements of the new series. Excited but slightly careful about the new book.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

The author of that review has completely missed the point of the book. For me, the alien stuff is a man made web of secrets and lies to cover for the real mysteries that exist in the woods around Twin Peaks.

For her to say Frost definitively attributes everything to aliens is absolutely laughable.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Pathetic!!
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

keatonshat wrote:Not sure if its been mentioned here yet but Amazon now has a descrition
Great description!! Thanks for put here!!