NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Rudagger »

Harry S. Truman wrote:
Dalai Cooper wrote:
I hold out faith the new Twin Peaks will be ground breaking, amazingly shot, pure heroin poetry, I REALLY DO, but dammit can't DL and Showtime give us 25 seconds of new thrilling footage after 27 years?
They're giving you 18 hours.
18 Parts.
Yes .. and the 18 parts are going to total 18 hours, no? So, I'm not sure what you're adding there, unless I'm mistaken.

Also, as for disappointment regarding lack of promotion. I was more bugged 3 months ago that they couldn't give us a bit more. Now however, as others have said, 30 days is nothing. I think one last teaser would've been nice though (I mean, it is a nicely edited retrospective, and that shot of the trees does look pretty swell). What does irk me a little though is just how much stuff they're willing to shill (got an email ad for Twin Peaks keychains) while *not* giving teasers (and I'm completely fine with those tiny ones, ala the Dale Cooper one, just little mood pieces). It's not the end of the world, but, I can understand some long time fans who were part of getting the show back on the air, and spending hundreds of dollars on media, feeling a little scorned (especially since it feels like the majority of the neater promotional aspects have been presented to pretty gated communities .. I.e., if you couldn't see the Twin Peaks shop at the Festival of Disruption, or fly out to SXSW to see the Twin Peaks cafe thing ..) For some people, the promotional lead up to a media event is sort of part of the experience.

Like, I'm in Toronto. Nary a billboard in sight, and the Entertainment Weekly magazine was inexplicably not shipped to any of the stores around me that actually carry Entertainment Weekly (meaning, I checked every day, and they had the Thor issue, and then two weeks of nothing, and then the Bones issue). So, I can understand it feeling a little bit like fans are being taken for granted that we'll show up and throw money at them (which, lets face it, I am already doing).

Also, whoever made the point about going in expecting surprise appearances setting themselves up for an initial FWWM-esque disappointment is spot on. I love the film now, but, it felt like a kick in the balls watching it after the finale for the first time, specifically because characters like Truman weren't in. So, I'm making my peace that he won't be in it at all just so I don't go through a round two of that, haha.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Rudagger wrote:Also, whoever made the point about going in expecting surprise appearances setting themselves up for an initial FWWM-esque disappointment is spot on. I love the film now, but, it felt like a kick in the balls watching it after the finale for the first time, specifically because characters like Truman weren't in. So, I'm making my peace that he won't be in it at all just so I don't go through a round two of that, haha.
I think that's the best possible attitude to have. And then if someone does end up in a surprise cameo, it will only be a great, welcome, unexpected surprise!
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

underthefan wrote: Not really, because I don't see why they would reveal some and not others. Like why reveal Sheryl Lee or Ray Wise or Walter Olkewicz, whose characters are dead and whose very appearance on the cast list might be a kind of a spoiler, but then skip Ontkean to preserve the mystery of the new season? It doesn't really seem logical to me, though this is TP we are talking about, so who knows? I just think it's best people have more realistic expectations because if you're just waiting for Ontkean to appear, you might only end up disappointed and missing what's in front of you for your hopes and expectations, kinda like FWWM for many people...
I don't think those specific characters are good counterpoints. Sheryl Lee and Ray Wise have already appeared in Between Two Worlds in character, and in a show like Twin Peaks, their status of being dead really has no bearing on their likelihood of returning. It would be strange if they weren't on a cast list (even one that was withholding surprises). They were too central to the narrative to be a surprise.

And Jacques is too minor of a character to matter. It does give pause but again it's an easy thing to justify with how the show uses doppelgangers and spirits (if it turns out to be due to alternate realities however, I will change my mind about this)

But ultimately I agree with the idea of not setting ourselves up for disappointment
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

The Jumping Man wrote:The Jumping Man is a notable inclusion given his brief screen time so far. But then, I would say that...
Wow, I just realized they could explain the Jumping Man is really connected to MFAP in some way and maybe they'll have the scenes MFAP was supposed to be in but they''ll use the Jumping Man. Maybe they'll show a scene with some old footage of MFAP and in some manner "morph" him into the Jumping Man.

I'd be terrified to see that horror freak as one of the main things in the Lodge scenes.

But then again now as I think about it, maybe showing Jumping Man just a little is the best way to use him...

Oh well, if I had to bet on how they deal with the absence of MFAP, I'd say they'll either give Mike a prosthetic arm or they'll connect The Jumping Man to MFAP more "obviously."

EDIT:
Ross wrote: Maybe they shifted MJA's stuff to the Jumping man?
Ok, this was already thought about, I'm late to the party :D
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Did you notice they edited out the reference to the "small man dressed in red" in Laura/Donna/Harold's letter?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Rudagger wrote:
Harry S. Truman wrote:
Dalai Cooper wrote:
They're giving you 18 hours.
18 Parts.
Yes .. and the 18 parts are going to total 18 hours, no? So, I'm not sure what you're adding there, unless I'm mistaken.

Also, as for disappointment regarding lack of promotion. I was more bugged 3 months ago that they couldn't give us a bit more. Now however, as others have said, 30 days is nothing. I think one last teaser would've been nice though (I mean, it is a nicely edited retrospective, and that shot of the trees does look pretty swell). What does irk me a little though is just how much stuff they're willing to shill (got an email ad for Twin Peaks keychains) while *not* giving teasers (and I'm completely fine with those tiny ones, ala the Dale Cooper one, just little mood pieces). It's not the end of the world, but, I can understand some long time fans who were part of getting the show back on the air, and spending hundreds of dollars on media, feeling a little scorned (especially since it feels like the majority of the neater promotional aspects have been presented to pretty gated communities .. I.e., if you couldn't see the Twin Peaks shop at the Festival of Disruption, or fly out to SXSW to see the Twin Peaks cafe thing ..) For some people, the promotional lead up to a media event is sort of part of the experience.

Like, I'm in Toronto. Nary a billboard in sight, and the Entertainment Weekly magazine was inexplicably not shipped to any of the stores around me that actually carry Entertainment Weekly (meaning, I checked every day, and they had the Thor issue, and then two weeks of nothing, and then the Bones issue). So, I can understand it feeling a little bit like fans are being taken for granted that we'll show up and throw money at them (which, lets face it, I am already doing).

Also, whoever made the point about going in expecting surprise appearances setting themselves up for an initial FWWM-esque disappointment is spot on. I love the film now, but, it felt like a kick in the balls watching it after the finale for the first time, specifically because characters like Truman weren't in. So, I'm making my peace that he won't be in it at all just so I don't go through a round two of that, haha.

I Thougth that parts would be of a changeful duration, not the same.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Harry S. Truman wrote:
I Thougth that parts would be of a changeful duration, not the same.
From my understanding, it's 18 parts, an hour each. Just on certain nights they're playing two back-to-back (i.e., first week, Parts 1 + 2) rather than actual two hour long episodes. 3+4 are streaming after 1/2 on the same night (and I *think* that means that 3/4 are airing the next week? Unless they intend on people who binge to then wait 3 weeks for a new episode), and I would assume that the final night would have two parts? I assume that's probably due to them being structure less as episodes (meaning, why not just split them up evenly if it makes no extra trouble, so that in the future they can be played back one at a time rather than forcing a two hour playback). I'm not sure though, it makes my head hurt a bit in terms of the nomenclature they've been using.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

NightTimeMyTime wrote:The trees in the end is exactly the kind of atmosphere based single shot I could expect and hope for, only a month away from the real deal. Ok, I looked really close for maybe a final twist behind some tree or something...
Are you sure you didn't miss something?
There's a darkness is these wools
There's a darkness is these wools
FB_IMG_1492803174450.jpg (34.04 KiB) Viewed 7773 times
-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Chester Desmond wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Chester Desmond wrote:I guess I am alone but I am tired of being abused by this franchise, waiting, waiting, and waiting some more only to be unrewarded, or "rewarded" with some b-roll footage of trees. I live in Washington. If want to see trees, I walk outside.

I don't think I sound ungrateful here, because so far I have nothing to be grateful for.

I hold out faith the new Twin Peaks will be ground breaking, amazingly shot, pure heroin poetry, I REALLY DO, but dammit can't DL and Showtime give us 25 seconds of new thrilling footage after 27 years?

Talk about abuse... how many of us spent hard earned money on the the VHS box set with the tracking issues? Then waited by the TV to record the Bravo airing with Log Lady intros, (complete with ads) and then watch those over the years?

How long did we wait for the FWWM deleted scenes? (I recall signing a petition on a website back in 1997!!!)

How many of us bought every blu ray and DVD that came out? Bought every book possible? Pilgrimaged to North Bend and Snoqualmie? MOVED HERE?

Have now signed up to Showtime Anytime?

How many of us have DIED in the meantime? I lost my Dad, a HUGE Twin Peaks fan, last August: it goes without saying he NEVER will see any new footage. Had the negotiations not dragged on setting back filming another year, he might have seen some episodes!

I am, of course, not the only one. We are okay with waiting. Not okay with being abused.

If you ask me, us fans are being taken for granted here a bit, they are the ungrateful ones. Is it TOO MUCH to ask for a trailer considering the above?

/end RANT
We sure complain a lot, don't we Agent Desmond?
Ha ha, what time is it SAM?
OMFG you two just made my day for the second time, that abusive trailer being the first. Well done gentlemen.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Okay, now I'm really excited.

I think this is syncing up with Frost's book as well. Everything in that trailer was done expertly to reinforce what was relevant and trim the fat. And in response to whoever mentioned Donna being used, it was only her voice... I feel to reinforce the Red Room. And hard to work around Truman, but I'm still holding out hope that his character is part of the mystery.

For Annie, I have a theory but will wait until the premiere airs, and we have more of a sense of the tone. I think this series is really going to focus on personal journeys and becoming whole again. Not just with Cooper. Many of the characters will be between two worlds... Sometimes metaphysical, dream worlds, while others being more broken parts of their former selves in the literal world. One month!
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Mordeen wrote:
Chester Desmond wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
We sure complain a lot, don't we Agent Desmond?
OMFG you two just made my day for the second time, that abusive trailer being the first. Well done gentlemen.

-Mordeen
Abusive? Image
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Audrey Horne wrote:For Annie, I have a theory but will wait until the premiere airs, and we have more of a sense of the tone. I think this series is really going to focus on personal journeys and becoming whole again. Not just with Cooper. Many of the characters will be between two worlds... Sometimes metaphysical, dream worlds, while others being more broken parts of their former selves in the literal world. One month!
I think you're spot on. People's journeys as well as the passage of time.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

Panapaok wrote:Loved this teaser. Truly a wonderfully assembled version of "Previously on Twin Peaks". It's crazy to think that we're exactly a month away now and we still don't know almost anything. Going into it completely blind will pay off in a big way. It's amazing to contemplate the fact that Lynch has total control over pretty much every aspect of this project.
The shot of those trees- why does it have such a sense of presentiment?
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Mordeen wrote:
Chester Desmond wrote:

-Mordeen
Abusive? Image
Playing on Chester Desmond's rant. I loved the trailer for its stark lack of new footage.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Great trailer btw. Some people might be reading a little too much into it tho. It's just a recap.
I don't think it's meant to indicate who might be important in S3.