NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

There's always going to be those who feel wounded by how trailers (film/tv) spoils everything and then loose their excitement, and those who feel wounded by how other trailers spoils nothing and then loose their excitement because of that. My advice; don't loose excitement. Or do, but don't feel hurt by it. That's the problem. Don't let it influence your ability to go on. There's nothing wrong with waiting as long as there's gold waiting for you on the other side of the rainbow. The entire marketing have been a big tease without really showing nothing. That's A+ x2.

If these last two and a half years would be love making, it would be two and a half years of foreplay and 18 hours of the best kind of sex, spread over the entire summer. That's less waiting AND more of the best kind of sex than I've had in my whole life. I can't complain. Foreplay is underrated.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

I largely agree with you, Chester Desmond, about the frustrating aspects of the whatever-you-do-show-'em-nothing marketing strategy that seems to have been imposed by Lynch himself. I especially agree with the following statement:
Chester Desmond wrote:
So far "Twin Peaks | Kyle MacLachlan Returns as FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper | SHOWTIME Series (2017)" teaser was good, it set a president, most of us on here though we'd get a video character reintroduction weekly in the same form, Nivens said as much when he touted we'd get teasers in the same fashion as "American Horror Story"... you can't call these videos teasers (the exception being the one I referenced above). It's like someone turned off the faucet.

These have been one heck of a loooong two years and a half since the announcement about the return has been made. During that time, we had the Artist drop out of the production and it looked like it might go down the drain, we were told that the amount of time spent on the new series will double that which was originally announced, we had several important actors from the original series pass on, and so on and so on (not to mention that some of us the Waiting Ones actually had a thing called life happening at the same time and it was damn distracting to engage in it when FRIGGIN' NEW TWIN PEAKS WAS ON ITS WAY!!!) - the Journey was nearly akin to the one Moses and his people took all those centuries ago :) . All the while, we were left to keep the fire burning with nothing but the old material, memories of it and talk about it - which is not an impossible and certainly not a bad thing, given that the original series and the movie are literally the gift that keeps on giving.
That being said, it WOULD'VE been super nice if Lynch and the marketing team would've been able to work out some kind of strategy that would give us a few snippets of actual new footage and tacts of a new score, to pour fuel on the fire, so to speak (and not thwart, but actually reinforce the mystery) - if they couldn't have done that (and it's now becoming clear that they couldn't), they might as well have dropped the one honest-to-God teaser they were able to come up with during this time, as it only gave us a wrong impression and built false expectations as to what is possibly coming next promo-wise. To follow up that dynamite mood piece that whetted our collective appetite with old footage has been, for me, super lame and anticlimactic and did absolutely nothing to raise my sense of intrigue. And Frost should've made clear on (I think?) Reddit where he answered a promotion-related question with "teasers and trailers are coming" that they're teasers and trailers FOR/FROM THE OLD STUFF. But that is just me being a sourpuss, when I realize there's supposed to be 18 hours of sparkling new TP footage somewhere in the world and I STILL haven't seen a second (well, 10 seconds) of it.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Ummm excuse me, I think you're both forgetting the most important puzzle piece we've been given so far: a certain senior fed eating a pastry
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

I just noticed something,

With parts 1/2, 3/4 and probably 17/18 being double length episodes and the show thus airing on 15 consecutive Sundays,

The S3 finale will air on 8/27.

Earlier than I thought.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

dronerstone wrote:I just noticed something,

With parts 1/2, 3/4 and probably 17/18 being double length episodes and the show thus airing on 15 consecutive Sundays,

The S3 finale will air on 8/27.

Earlier than I thought.
i wouldn't be suprised if they show us 10 episodes and then break for a few months before going ahead with the final 8.. wouldn't bother me tbh, 18 hours is A LOT
DonnieB
Roadhouse Member

Post by DonnieB »

A few months? That's not gonna happen.
DonnieB
Roadhouse Member

Post by DonnieB »

bosguy1981 wrote:I'm planning to purchase the Amazon Prime add-on for Showtime, as it says it includes streaming. Anybody know if Amazon Prime's Showtime add-on would include immediate access to hours 3 & 4 or not until the following week?
If you're paying for Showtime you will be able to watch 3 and 4 that night, regardless of the delivery system. I still don't get why they're promoting the 3 and 4 thing like it's only for some certain special people . Unless I'm mistaken, anyone who's able to watch 1 and 2 (legally) will be able to watch 3 and 4 right after.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

The closer it gets, the more I think I'd love it if there was a break for a couple of months and it resumed in the autumn. More time to savor the whole thing.
I'll see you in the trees
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I'd love a summer break and the rest parts to air in the fall. But we're now less than a month away from the premiere. I think they'd have clarified if that was the case.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Yeah, we'd probably know by now.
Then again, there's a lot we don't know, such as what other parts might be paired up(the finale is only speculation), and it seems Lynch might still be working on the later hours, so it might be that it's unclear to everyone at this point, including Showtime. But splitting the series in two is probably a bit too major to go unannounced for so long.
I'll see you in the trees
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Frost said that his book would be out after the show airs (so the poor guy doesn't have to were with his hands tied, finally?) and the final dossier is currently slated to be out on Halloween, so... no longer than that?

And didn't someone link to a schedule by... the Roadhouse or some other place organising viewing parties... that only had 14 dates on it? If that's accurate, there should be no breaks and 4 2-parters total..
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

NightTimeMyTime wrote:There's always going to be those who feel wounded by how trailers (film/tv) spoils everything and then loose their excitement, and those who feel wounded by how other trailers spoils nothing and then loose their excitement because of that. My advice; don't loose excitement. Or do, but don't feel hurt by it. That's the problem. Don't let it influence your ability to go on. There's nothing wrong with waiting as long as there's gold waiting for you on the other side of the rainbow. The entire marketing have been a big tease without really showing nothing. That's A+ x2.

If these last two and a half years would be love making, it would be two and a half years of foreplay and 18 hours of the best kind of sex, spread over the entire summer. That's less waiting AND more of the best kind of sex than I've had in my whole life. I can't complain. Foreplay is underrated.
It certainly is. :D
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Of course they can show a small amount of new footage without giving anything away - in fact, they have, just to a lesser extent! I'm saying it isn't difficult to see why they've gone for the approach they have, and I personally appreciate it. I kind of wish they'd only given us the doughnut teaser and nothing else, tbh. The foreplay metaphor is apt - delayed gratification can be good for you!

Edit: The accusation of sycophancy is just bizarre. Nobody's been tricked: with the keep the mystery alive "line", they made a statement of intent - and followed through on it completely. If I like that, it doesn't make me a kool-aid drinking sheep; if you don't, it doesn't make you a philistine. I just don't think anyone should be surprised by it by this stage.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Best is to just show atmospherics and transition shots shots like the waterfall,great northern hotel,sheriff station,woods,the traffic signal etc.from the new season
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

madeleineferguson wrote:Anyone else doing the rewatch? I just noticed something...

In Episode 1, when Doc Hayward is describing the autopsy to Coop and Harry, he says Laura had sex with at least three men the night of her murder. Leo and Jacques, obviously. But are we now to believe that Leland/Bob also raped Laura that night? If so, it wasn't depicted in FWWM and it makes me wonder whether he raped her before or after her death.
Watch FWWM closely. It's there. Heavily implied