NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

N. Needleman wrote:Just realized I need to get started fast on a binge-rewatch if I intend to rewatch the whole show (for like the 30th time) plus FWWM before the new series starts. I wasn't going to do it yet again since I know so much of it by heart, but it's been about six to nine months at least since my last go-round, and I figure I should have it fresh in my mind in order to adequately compare and contrast.
You really should have watched it earlier this year in synch with the actual calendar dates (a rare opportunity if there ever was one). I did do that and it was a rather remarkable experience, though subtly so.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

John Justice Wheeler wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:Just realized I need to get started fast on a binge-rewatch if I intend to rewatch the whole show (for like the 30th time) plus FWWM before the new series starts. I wasn't going to do it yet again since I know so much of it by heart, but it's been about six to nine months at least since my last go-round, and I figure I should have it fresh in my mind in order to adequately compare and contrast.
You really should have watched it earlier this year in synch with the actual calendar dates (a rare opportunity if there ever was one). I did do that and it was a rather remarkable experience, though subtly so.
Nah. Too early.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

One per night leading right into 5/21 is treating me nice right now.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:I think they only showed places that have a significant effect on the story
Feels like speculation. I would hope Glastounbury Grove plays a big part in the show. I'm not sure what to expect out of the Great Northern.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

20 days. The final hour of waiting on May 21st is going to be the most grueling.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

This last 19 days is going to be tense. Is anyone driving a little more carefully than usual? Looking a few more times each way when you cross the road? Want to lock myself up in a safe room wrapped up in cotton wool until I've at least seen the first episodes, lol.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

I guess I'm lucky in that I'm struggling to get my house fixed up for sale and between work and house renovations time is flying. Tick tock.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

I feel almost terrified for Sarah. She has suffered so much (the Between Two Worlds interview with Lynch almost broke me) but I think it's probably reasonable to assume that she's in for a good deal more.
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

mlsstwrt wrote:I feel almost terrified for Sarah. She has suffered so much (the Between Two Worlds interview with Lynch almost broke me) but I think it's probably reasonable to assume that she's in for a good deal more.
Of course she is still there for a good deal: she has visions.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

N. Needleman wrote: I will also be rewatching MD and BV for the first time in too long sometime in the next week or two.
I just saw Blue Velvet myself the previous week after quite some time and was held completely in thrall for 2 hours. What an all-around majestic flick - I've been a rabid fan for nearly 25 years, have seen it more times than it can be counted, and yet I sat through it speechless like I was watching it for the first time. I do wish the new season bears some fingerprints of BV.

On a side note, I complemented the viewing by watching the deleted scenes for the first time since they were released and I can absolutely see how they didn't make it into the movie. Although they present an unexpected, savory and fun bonus for the longtime fans who get to spend 50 additional minutes in their beloved universe and see their old acquaintances in new situations, so I'm definitely glad they're available (though I must say I was somewhat disappointed they didn't contain practically anything new in the Frank Booth department; I guess Lynch /rightly/ felt Hopper's was the strongest stuff so he included it all in the final cut), they add little to nothing contents-wise, and would only drag the plot out and somewhat dilute its electrifying charge.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

New Twin Peaks coming THIS month!
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Agent Earle wrote:
N. Needleman wrote: I will also be rewatching MD and BV for the first time in too long sometime in the next week or two.
I just saw Blue Velvet myself the previous week after quite some time and was held completely in thrall for 2 hours. What an all-around majestic flick - I've been a rabid fan for nearly 25 years, have seen it more times than it can be counted, and yet I sat through it speechless like I was watching it for the first time. I do wish the new season bears some fingerprints of BV.

On a side note, I complemented the viewing by watching the deleted scenes for the first time since they were released and I can absolutely see how they didn't make it into the movie. Although they present an unexpected, savory and fun bonus for the longtime fans who get to spend 50 additional minutes in their beloved universe and see their old acquaintances in new situations, so I'm definitely glad they're available (though I must say I was somewhat disappointed they didn't contain practically anything new in the Frank Booth department; I guess Lynch /rightly/ felt Hopper's was the strongest stuff so he included it all in the final cut), they add little to nothing contents-wise, and would only drag the plot out and somewhat dilute its electrifying charge.
Interesting. I just watched a cut of BV with the deleted scenes intact and I found it very satisfying. It went a long way toward demonstrating Jeffrey's home life and how it led toward his impulsive and dangerous decision making.

Relating to Season 3, I'm curious how much of the 18 hours will involve deep character development.

-Mordeen
Last edited by Mordeen on Mon May 01, 2017 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moving Through Time. . .
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mordeen wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:

Interesting. I just watched a cut of BV with the deleted scenes intact and I found it very satisfying. I went a long way toward demonstrating Jeffrey's home life and how it led toward his impulsive and dangerous decision making.

Relating to Season 3, I'm curious how much of the 18 hours will involve deep character development.

-Mordeen
I am pretty sure we will see a much deeper fleshing out of Cooper's character. Not sure about anyone else.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Interesting. I'm of the opposite mindset - I wish I'd left more of a gap between the old and new series. Ideally, I would've liked to finish the last rewatch back in the autumn. I feel like it's somehow inappropriate to hop straight from 25 years ago into the new story, particularly because I expect some major differences in tone and content. I think it'll be quite jarring.
Then again, I'm speaking as a relatively new viewer. I guess those of you of the 'original' bunch have felt the passage of time quite well, without the need for, uh, simulation.. Oh well, I haven't followed my own advice anyway. Couldn't resist a recent rewatch. Still, I think it would've felt more right to distance it a bit from the premiere. I don't see why you would want to "compare and contrast", either.

Also - I like to follow FWWM with the Pilot and finish off with The Missing Pieces. I recommend this.
I'll see you in the trees
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Mordeen wrote: I just watched a cut of BV with the deleted scenes intact and I found it very satisfying. It went a long way toward demonstrating Jeffrey's home life and how it led toward his impulsive and dangerous decision making.
Funny, that's not how I saw it at all. Other then the fact that Jeffrey was forced to drop out of school on account of family problems (dealing with his dad's illness), I don't remember any other aspects of his home life that could contribute to his, as you say, "impulsive and dangerous decision making". And anyhow, I don't think his behavior had to do with external motivators but rather with traits internal to his character, ie. general curiosity/love of mystery and a certain quirkiness (which may have had something to do with the very kooky aunt /Frances Bay who's not a stranger in TP fandom/ he was sharing household with :); seriously, I do get the feeling that his family environment is pretty ordinary and loving if a bit uptight) - but those have already been well evident in the final cut of the film and we certainly didn't get any new revelations from the deleted scenes, in which Jeffrey is still Jeffrey we knew all those years prior to the deleted scenes making an entrance. Like I said, I love that the deleted material gives us more illuminated background of the protagonist (the role of his mother, for instance, was elevated to a speaking part from what was practically a non-speaking one), but doesn't contribute to us understanding what makes him tick (not in my case, at least).